T50 on YouTube: Spring Equinox 200K

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Watched the video, nice work there!

How's the seat after 9hrs on it? Any recumbutt issues? I get a mild one on my S40, manageable though. Probably one day I might change the seat when I get some time and see how it feels.

JerseyJim

Watched the video, nice work there!

How's the seat after 9hrs on it? Any recumbutt issues? I get a mild one on my S40, manageable though. Probably one day I might change the seat when I get some time and see how it feels.
I'm very lucky that I don't have recumbutt issues with the seat position and the stock Cruzbike seat agrees with my body shape. I know for some people 40-50 degrees on the seatback is too high for long distance.
I will say that I have to make sure on long rides that I don't sit at traffic lights with one foot on the pedal. If I do that consistently I'll get a sleepy foot on the leg that stays up. It's a simple thing but it does a lot for my long term comfort on rides.

JerseyJim

Really professional looking video. Great work.
What kind of helmet camera did you use?
Thank you very much! I use the Drift Ghost X as my helmet camera. The 2 main reasons I use this camera are the battery life and form factor. Drift cameras are low profile so they don't stick out much on a helmet. The Ghost X also has a long battery life. 5 hours continuous on the standard battery. I also have the extended battery which doubles the run time to 10 hours. That's real-life time. I've actually tested it.

There are a couple of things to consider before buying this camera. The video quality straight out of the camera isn't great. I did some processing in my video editor to smooth out the noise and correct the color. Also there's no stabilization. The camera mics pic up only wind noise at any speed. To get anything usable I had to glue on the furry windscreens and even then it's not always good. You can connect an external mic to it which works great, but then it's no longer waterproof because you have to open one of the port covers to connect the mic.

However, as a "dashcam" to record a ride it's pretty much set and forget. As long as it's rolling I can enjoy my ride knowing I'll get usable footage and I won't miss those spontaneous events that always seem to happen when you don't have a camera. As action cameras go it's cheap at $100 US.

https://us.driftinnovation.com/collections/cameras-new

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I will definitely consider them when my current front action camera needs replacement. I have a gopro knock off camera connected to a portable charger in the front. It's really just for recording rides in case I need to review later such as traffic issues. Otherwise I never look at the footage.
This Ghost Drift camera's battery life is really good. I won't even need to connect it to a portable charger. The footage is clear too. Thanks.

Michael

JerseyJim

I will definitely consider them when my current front action camera needs replacement. I have a gopro knock off camera connected to a portable charger in the front. It's really just for recording rides in case I need to review later such as traffic issues. Otherwise I never look at the footage.

If that's how you use your camera then you're going to like this little known feature of the Drift Ghost X. It's called "Video Tagging". You set it up in dashcam mode and let it roll. If something happens on the road and you want to find that event in the video file, normally you would have to remember what time it happened, find the file you think that event is in, then review the footage. With video tagging, if there's an event you want to save, you push a button on the camera and it sends the previous 5. 10, 20 seconds and the next minute after the button push to a separate file. You get to determine number of seconds prior to the button push it will save. With that you have the event saved separate from the rest of the footage.

If you want to extend that tagged event, you just have to push the button again during the tagging period and it will add an additional minute for each button push. As far as I know this is the only camera that has this feature and it's really clever.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
If that's how you use your camera then you're going to like this little known feature of the Drift Ghost X. It's called "Video Tagging". You set it up in dashcam mode and let it roll. If something happens on the road and you want to find that event in the video file, normally you would have to remember what time it happened, find the file you think that event is in, then review the footage. With video tagging, if there's an event you want to save, you push a button on the camera and it sends the previous 5. 10, 20 seconds and the next minute after the button push to a separate file. You get to determine number of seconds prior to the button push it will save. With that you have the event saved separate from the rest of the footage.

If you want to extend that tagged event, you just have to push the button again during the tagging period and it will add an additional minute for each button push. As far as I know this is the only camera that has this feature and it's really clever.
Sounds great! Thanks!

JerseyJim

Nice film. Shame you got stuck in the sand. I bet you wish you had 650b and Gravel King tyres.
Hahaha! Thank you. Yeah I actually wish I had known that section of read was sand so I could avoid it altogether. Even so, I made the best of it. These are the things that seem bad at the time but later make the story interesting and memorable.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Huge effort. Thoroughly enjoyed thanks very much.

hi horse who me. All this sand and no ocean.

:) how far did you trudge I doubt even in the wet sand bigger tyres would have helped.

road looked so good from google earth. Been there.

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
It was cold, but not cold enough. Frozen wet sand is rock-hard. Which is very bumpy, necessitating 650b and Gravel King.

JerseyJim

:) how far did you trudge I doubt even in the wet sand bigger tyres would have helped.

road looked so good from google earth. Been there.
Thank you. That section of road was about a quarter mile or half a kilometer. It was warm enough at that time that the water wasn't frozen. We had torrential rain 2 days before so that's why there's all that standing water. What made it so bad was that the surface condition changed from packed sand to loose sand in an instant. You couldn't tell when your tire was going to dig into loose sand and wash out. Even if I could ride, once I reached the standing water I would have walked anyway. Ironically, now when I check that route on RideWithGPS, it has been altered to avoid that road. Maybe someone else complained to Randonneurs USA.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thank you. That section of road was about a quarter mile or half a kilometer. It was warm enough at that time that the water wasn't frozen. We had torrential rain 2 days before so that's why there's all that standing water. What made it so bad was that the surface condition changed from packed sand to loose sand in an instant. You couldn't tell when your tire was going to dig into loose sand and wash out. Even if I could ride, once I reached the standing water I would have walked anyway. Ironically, now when I check that route on RideWithGPS, it has been altered to avoid that road. Maybe someone else complained to Randonneurs USA.

lol maybe just maybe you were set up by a fellow randonneur. The same one who injected antiseptic following trump advice.

Seriously now your video presentation is excellent and inspirational.

May I suggest using a “buff” . To me they are a piece of kit that fulfills more than one roll.
Neck face ear warmer. Or bandanna sun protection etc.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I’ve been using these from meundies. I cut mine in half so it’s two-for-one. I use them mostly to keep from getting sunburned, though.

lol Mathew great idea. Economic mastery.

Though you could have turned them inside out. ;)

And to think I was going to cut eyeholes........

I’d never wear me undies on my face unless they were edible......Must be dual purpose lol. Gives a new slant to the suntanned helmet head .

Given the choice of meundies on my face or being in the buff I know where I’m headed. Total nude riding. Yesssssss. Lol.

Fact . That four days out of me undies. Equals no friends. In the buff you’ll either have unwanted friends or great curious attention.

seriously now I wonder who came first. Either or great bit of kit.

jond

Zen MBB Master
All dressed up and places to go.
View attachment 11853
10 points if you can guess where I am.

@JerseyJim , I thought about you yesterday when I nearly crashed on some newly spread crushed limestone on the Ohio to Erie Canal towpath.

hmm well downunda is not Ohio.

so I’m guessing you’re about to enter the church to nick the collection plate and silver.

another great bit of kit “ da brim”

JerseyJim

All dressed up and places to go.
View attachment 11853
10 points if you can guess where I am.

@JerseyJim , I thought about you yesterday when I nearly crashed on some newly spread crushed limestone on the Ohio to Erie Canal towpath.

Well, the O Jays Pkwy gives it away, unless you mean you're about to board the "Love Train". ;)
"Nearly" is the operative word there. You got away with it. It's certainly a scare when that front wheel looses traction. I'm sure I would have hit the deck if I kept pressing my luck.