T50 - The Parts Piddle Thread

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I have a LOT of bike parts. I've not assembled my T50 yet because:
  • I intend to create a basic assembly guide for the frameset, which requires lots of photos and step-by-step instructions
  • I never build anything according to the original design
I have LOTS of bike parts in the garage. I like to take various parts and see how they can be used with my frames.

I'm setting this thread up to capture photos of what I'm doing with my T50 in relation to interesting, off-the-wall parts I have. Please join in if you have unusual ideas for your T50!

Lim

I'm really wondering how thick 26" tyre will fit in the front fork. Can you try what you have for me? I noticed that 700c x 28c goes well with T-50. 26" or 27.5" can be fit upto maybe 2.25 and 1.5 respectively. I want to check the limit. As I want to operate on two wheelset: 26" and 700c

Last edited:

Brad R

I am confused as to the design choices of cutting the stem tube just to add a stem extender. I'm told this is to make the bike more compact for transport so I'll warily buy into this. Then I am confused why the steering tube boom doesn't connect to the fork stem using the same brackets as the Silvio and Vendetta? I have chosen to toss the stem extensions, and the expandable head set spacer. I used the handlebar stem to lock the head set bearings and have to shim the boom tube / fork bracket. I'm a little worried this isn't a good idea, if not someone please sound off. Another issue is the bottom bearing (not the top) on my headset has a tiny gap, enough that it has me thinking I am missing a thin spacer. Due to the shape of the headset and fork without a spacer it will not close the gap. Am I missing something?

I have a 2mm gap at the bottom also. Someone else posted a picture that shows the exact same gap that I have. I think it is normal for this build. My only concern is whether it will attract too much dirt.

DavidJL

I am not going to cut down the steering tube because I think the extra length will come in handy should I decide to do the Emeljay steering on this bike. I could cut down the steering on my QX100, but once cut, it can't be uncut... For the time being I am using the upper parts from the QX100 to clamp the headset. With the steering mod, the headset can be adjusted in the usual way using the star nut and top cap. At this time I have a bare section of steering tube showing.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Wow. Okay, I didn't expect the response I got to this thread.

I was just intending to post some bizarre applications of parts I think will fit the T50.

But folks have questions. That's great in my view.

A few observations from older bikes:

• When the original Sofrider was released, it didn't have a steerer extension (i.e., "Steering Column".) The steerer welded to the fork was left long, and a clever adjustable stem was added to the top. It was aluminum, and it was supported by a bespoke conical spacer and some other parts. We didn't consider the long aluminum steerer to be the best, strongest solution for steering parts (raw aluminum isn't the best for parts subject to both bending and twisting loads.). Hence, we replaced it with a chromoly steering extension.
  • The Sofrider and Quest seat cushions were dual-density foam. A soft upper foam and a stiffer lower foam. The T50 seat cushion is single density/low density foam. It will breathe well, but it is a bit lacking in support for your (TMI) hiney, especially at steeper seat back angles. A layer of Minicell underneath would help a lot. I'm looking at that now.
  • I think the T50 seat base cradle will support a Thor or similar seat very nicely. I will post pictures explaining that.

Please continue to post you questions and issues here. The Tribe can answer and debate all these things!

Cheers,

Doug

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
So I have an old NovoSport seat I bought used a long time ago. I think it will mount to the T50 seat maounts with the addition of a few adapter blocks to resolve the differences in curvature between the seat and the T50 seat mount and clearance for the seat stay fasteners.
I really like contoured seats. I think the same adaptation would work for the Thor seats (which I also really like, but I don't have one currently.)
20170716_182031_zpsjsmmz4b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170716_1820163_zpsyfzghzcz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170716_1820494_zpskycxhifp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170716_1821365_zpslzgq8czc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bill K

Guru
I installed my old Rohloff hub, and I think it is going to work out nicely.
I used the following parts:
- A "monkey bone" disk brake adapter for the Rohloff torque bracket (monkey bone: best name ever for a disk brake adapter bracket!).
- A Phil Wood philcentric eccentric bottom bracket. This provides about 1/4 inch of chain tension adjustment: barely adequate, but it works.
You could use a chain tensioner instead of this BB, but I didn't want to use a tensioner.
- A KMC-HL810 half-link chain (1/2 inch x 3/32) so you can cut the chain in 1/4 inch segments. Note: I'm using a 44-tooth chainring and 17-tooth ring on the Rohloff, and this chain was about 1-inch too short. I had to add a couple of links from an old 8-speed chain to make it long enough.
You could also use a normal chain and add a 1/2 link as needed. That should work just as well (but I did not try it).

Chain waxing trivia fact: Waxing the chain temporarily shortens the chain by about 1/4 inch.
Before I waxed the chain there was just enough slack in the chain to separate the master link to remove the chain.
After waxing the chain the first time, the chain was over 1/4 inch too short and I had to remove the wheel to install it.

Attachments

• chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 61
  • philcentric.jpg
    philcentric.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 62

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
Did you have a black plastic gasket sort of thing (without a parts list I don't know what to call it) or washer that goes on first?

Vicki C.

Wow. Okay, I didn't expect the response I got to this thread.

I was just intending to post some bizarre applications of parts I think will fit the T50.

But folks have questions. That's great in my view.

A few observations from older bikes:

• When the original Sofrider was released, it didn't have a steerer extension (i.e., "Steering Column".) The steerer welded to the fork was left long, and a clever adjustable stem was added to the top. It was aluminum, and it was supported by a bespoke conical spacer and some other parts. We didn't consider the long aluminum steerer to be the best, strongest solution for steering parts (raw aluminum isn't the best for parts subject to both bending and twisting loads.). Hence, we replaced it with a chromoly steering extension.
  • The Sofrider and Quest seat cushions were dual-density foam. A soft upper foam and a stiffer lower foam. The T50 seat cushion is single density/low density foam. It will breathe well, but it is a bit lacking in support for your (TMI) hiney, especially at steeper seat back angles. A layer of Minicell underneath would help a lot. I'm looking at that now.
  • I think the T50 seat base cradle will support a Thor or similar seat very nicely. I will post pictures explaining that.

Please continue to post you questions and issues here. The Tribe can answer and debate all these things!

Cheers,

Doug

I agree that the bottom of the basic seat cushion is insufficiently padded. I am having pain that I have never had on a recumbent and keep having to shift around on the seat to relieve the pressure. I really didn't want to have to replace the seat so soon, as I purchased an entry-level build in order to get used to the bike first and see what kind of cycling I will be doing with it. How will you use the Minicell? Is there a way to put it inside the cover?

Rampa

Guru
Here's a suggestion to improve the seat comfort.

I went to Walmart and found a stadium seat cushion made of some extra squishy, supple foam. It actually feels pretty flesh-like. Much more so than the stiffer foam layer in the old seats. It was large enough to cut a pad out of that matched the bottom pad. Cost just under $4.00

Just slip it in under the open-cell foam. It makes a nice base. It's an inch thick.

Vicki C.

Here's a suggestion to improve the seat comfort.

I went to Walmart and found a stadium seat cushion made of some extra squishy, supple foam. It actually feels pretty flesh-like. Much more so than the stiffer foam layer in the old seats. It was large enough to cut a pad out of that matched the bottom pad. Cost just under $4.00

Just slip it in under the open-cell foam. It makes a nice base. It's an inch thick.

Does adding an inch to the seat pad caused any fit problems? Too much padding?

Rampa

Guru
It shouldn't make any significant difference, beyond greater padding. It is a nice foam, because it is almost "gel" like, but fairly supportive. The open-cell foam should be able to compress enough to fit the extra pad in.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I have a 2mm gap at the bottom also. Someone else posted a picture that shows the exact same gap that I have. I think it is normal for this build. My only concern is whether it will attract too much dirt.
and trplay said: ... Another issue is the bottom bearing (not the top) on my headset has a tiny gap, enough that it has me thinking I am missing a thin spacer. Due to the shape of the headset and fork without a spacer it will not close the gap. Am I missing something?

I have seen a solution to the gap collecting dirt: cut an inch long piece of old inner tube and install that on the bottom of the head tube before putting in the fork then fold it down over the bottom fork bearings so that it forms a sleeve that covers the bearings and gap. That should keep out the water / dirt and should look similar to the old Cruzbike front suspension. Not a perfect solution but better than replacing bearings or experiencing corrosion. If anyone does this please post pictures.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Okay, I guess I'm losing it. I'm excited about a kickstand.

I bought the T50 kickstand from Cruzbike. It is REALLY nicely made. No worries about this one buckling, that's for sure!