T50 vs Q45 as Faster Road Build

aarond76

For a road specific build, which is a better choice considering the below.

1) This is for paved roads. Not a gravel of off road bike. Mainly chip seal country roads.
2) I am a large rider 270 to 300 lbs depending on when you ask.
3) I currently ride an easy racers gold rush. I am very comfortable on this bike and need to be as comfortable on any other bike. I'm not interested in anything that would be slower than my current ride. We live in a flat area, however I struggle with any kind of hill on the gold rush, 300 lbs is alot to lug up any kind of incline. Considering my weight, 5 lbs of bike weight one way of the other really cant make a difference. On the gold rush I can avg 18-20mph on a 25 mile group ride working in the paceline.
4) Considering my weight, does the suspension on the Q45 create more issues than it solves? I could appreciate the suspension if it could be dialed in to work properly with my weight, even if that means an aftermarket shock. Can the suspension be locked out?
5) Either bike I would adopt my sling seat from ADCarson/Recycled Recumbents like I use on the gold rush. This is why I am looking at the T50/Q45 vs the S40.
6) I see everyone talking about the Emiljay mod on the T50. How inefficient is the stock T50 front triangle vs the Q45 front triangle? If all things were equal efficiency wise, the T50 would be a no brainer, these threads about changing the front end on the T50 is what has me nervous about it.
7) Is it possible to set up a T50/Q45 to be comparable in performance to an S40?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Welcome @aarond76,

Most important, I think, is that you talk to @Robert Holler or someone else at support @cruzbike.com regarding what is best for your weight, height, and X-seam as the different models are not exactly the same fit.

Some quick answers.

1) All models are perfect for the type of riding you indicate.

2) see above.

3) once you learn to ride the Cruzbike you will likely be faster if anything. Your feet will probably be higher and your seat back more laid back if you want the same basic body shape.

The biggest difference you will notice is that you will work out your arms and core much more especially in the beginning.

4) The stock shock doesn’t have a lockout. I think you would find that you would either dial it in how you wanted and never lock it out or you would lock it out and rarely if ever open it. My opinion from using both style commuting.

5) Makes perfect sense. It would be much more difficult to adapt a mesh seat to the s40.

6) The T50 front triangle is perfectly fine. The Emeljay mod is an improvement that was done first to the precursor to the q45 before the q45 added that style straight from the factory - a distinct advantage.

7) You can tweak either the q45 or T50 to be as close to the s40 in setup, geometry, etc. but it will never be as stiff, responsive, efficient etc. as the s40 that is purpose built with many years of development to get to this point. It depends on what features you want, what is important to you, and how much you can spend. You can always make improvements to the motor for far less $ than buying better bikes or components but if a better bike will get you to ride more then it will help improve the motor too.

Most important, I think, is that you talk to @Robert Holler or someone else at support @cruzbike.com regarding what is best for your weight, height, and X-seam as the different models are not exactly the same fit.

If you post your location there may be a Cruzbiker nearby that you could see the differences in person. Welcome and happy trails.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The T50 frame is a faster frame than the Q45, but has the slower front end and also slower 26" wheels stock. The Q45 shares the front end with the S40 and pre carbon V20, but has a much heavier frame but has larger 650b wheels...

In 100% stock form on a smooth road? The T50 will be a bit faster. Emphasize a bit. That has been my experience.

aarond76

@Robert Holler is my weight going to be an issue on either of these bikes @ 300lbs. 6'1" with short legs, long torso. Could the Q45 suspension be set-up to handle the load, even if that means aftermarket shock? If weight is too high, what is an acceptable weight? 2 years ago I had gotten down to 265lbs. Thanks.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
An aftermarket shock would probably be needed on the Q45, but weight should be OK for the frame especially the Q45. I would say the limiting factor might be the resin seat more than the frame.

Robert

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i would think the t is a better play. also depends on where you carry your weight and how long your legs are. the frame on the t is quite simple and so is the front triangle. the seat pan is aluminum and the support bars in back are adjustable but can also be cut down for a better seat angle as you get better at riding. the front end has better adjustability for size if you need it while you learn to ride it, and you can cut the fork tube down when ready or do the emiljay conversion. there are still some good tire options in 26.

my t50 is currently in my "sting ray" set up, so its not set for speed but it is still quick. i have the seat supports cut back to about 35 degrees and i have 406 wheels and tires on it, and a pretty small drive train. it is the easiest cruzbike to learn on.

i am in sw michigan if you want to test ride any of the bikes. i can swap in the 26" wheelset to let you see how that rides. i have a t50, an s40, a v20 and a sofrider (close to a q45)

aarond76

Thanks 3bs. I appreciate you insight. I am in MD so not test rides with you, but I am still interested in aT50