T50e first ride

Backley1

I took the short break of warmer weather to test ride my new T50e. What a beautiful short ride. I look forward to longer rides with this bike.
Now the power from that little motor makes a an immense difference, especially for hill climbing and that is why I purchased this bike. My knees just can’t take the steep hill climbs anymore.

thwaters

I'm VERY interested in your experiences with this bike. I have 15,000 miles on a SoftriderV2 that I bought in 2008; used to ride it everyday to teach school -- about five miles from my house in East Texas. Taught 8th grade Science; parked the bike in the front of the classroom by my desk (my image is when I lost a bet with the kids -- if they could get their state test results up to an average score of 85 for the entire 8th grade, I would let them dye my hair and wear it that way for a few days). Retired now, and at 74 years of age, I had a heart attack -- main artery 100% blocked. Lucky to be here. Am recovering, working out a lot hooked to monitors. Tried to get back on my Softrider for the first time -- two months after the heart attack, couldn't make it up a steep hill without walking the bike! Time to look at an electric-assist, the T-50 might be it. If I could get by without the assist, I would think about a Q45 or S40, but realistically, I will probably need some help. I'm currently down to about one-third of my heart's pumping efficiency, trying to work hard to get some function back. I'm realistically not going to bike long distances, just 20 to 30 miles at a time, and need help on hills.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
After having a 500W Golden Motor direct drive hub motor on a Recumbent trike, with a 36V 10A.hr battery, with its range reducing from 35 km to 15 to 20 km, if I went up a slope greater than 3%, I would STRONGLY recommend a Mid drive motor for hill climbing, (500W, but derated to 250w) to replace the crank, so that the power goes through the 9 speed (11-34T)rear cluster (for greater chain strength!).

It will be a 9 speed electric bike, instead of a Single speed electric bike!
Can you remember how hard it was climbing a hill on a single speed, heavy steel bike with a back pedal rear brake, that would not work every time!!!!

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?motorcharts
A permanent magnet motor is ONLY efficient from 80% to 100% of its maximum speed.
Look at the Santana geared hub motor curve with the blue bottom line being flat ground, and the current draw at 15 mph is 400 watts, compared to 100 watts at 16.5 mph!!!

With a Bafang BBS-001 36V 500W motor with INBUILT 25 amps controller, controlled to 15 A, then you select the gear for the required speed and 78 to 80 cadence(max motor efficiency speed), and use the pedal assist level (3 to 9 levels) for the amount of electric assistance required.

The Bafang BBS-002 48V 750W motor has a 127 rpm max speed, and the BBS-HD 48V 1500W has a 170 rpm max speed, so neither of these can be pedal assisted and are ONLY for Electric MTB Off road ALL electric use!

If using 26" or 700c wheels, I would recommend the Lekkie 36T offset wide narrow chainring(so max powered speed is 30 kph(20mph), std cranks, std throttle, stb brake levers(to stop motor), Gear sensor (to stop motor during a gear change), Egg small color display, and 36V 17 A.Hr battery from California Ebike for $1387.
https://california-ebike.com/shop/bafang-bbs02-mid-drive-custom-build-bundle/
And a bafang BB tool BPT-1 ($35), and a programming cable ($30)
California Ebike has the best reputation on the West coast for the E MTB groups, and rebuilds/upgrades and lots of spares, for Bafangs and Hub motors!

Last edited:

Dave Arnold

Super slim,

Are you suggesting we mount a Bafang mid-drive on the front of a CB T50? I was considering the Superpedestrian Copenhagen Wheel on the front of my CB QX100 and I asked Robert Holler about it and he said the front-end would be really heavy. I would think the Bafeng mid-drive would be heavier and would affect steering and handling more.

Dave

Bill K

Guru
Tried to get back on my Softrider for the first time -- two months after the heart attack, couldn't make it up a steep hill without walking the bike! Time to look at an electric-assist, the T-50 might be it. If I could get by without the assist, I would think about a Q45 or S40, but realistically, I will probably need some help. I'm currently down to about one-third of my heart's pumping efficiency, trying to work hard to get some function back. I'm realistically not going to bike long distances, just 20 to 30 miles at a time, and need help on hills.
I am in a similar position, except with 60% lung capacity. Now, a month after surgery, my first ride (yesterday) averaged 59 watts. It'll get better, and yours will get better too! But for me the hills at the moment are unrideable without e-assist. And riding does wonders for your morale!
I have no experience with the T50E, but I did add a conversion kit to my S40 a year ago and it works well.
Details are here:
Electric conversion
I also just bought a OneMotor conversion kit and mounted it on my road bike. It is a friction drive which is easily removable, has a very small battery, and only adds 6 pounds to the bike. Perfect for getting you up the hills without turning the bike into a 50 pound beast.
It fits nicely on the S40 but it is a bit pricey. I have mixed feelings about it, it works quite well (less so in the rain) but may increase maintenance costs. Ask if you would like more details.
Bottom line: buy the bike you want. If it's the T50E you're done. Otherwise get an e-assist kit that suits your needs.

Best of luck!

Backley1

After a 30 mile ride with some big hills, my T50e battery had depleted down to less than 1/4 but when we got home. the battery recharged in 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Once the battery was reduced to 1/2 on the ride, it drained significantly faster than it had drained for the top half of battery power.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Super slim,

Are you suggesting we mount a Bafang mid-drive on the front of a CB T50? I was considering the Superpedestrian Copenhagen Wheel on the front of my CB QX100 and I asked Robert Holler about it and he said the front-end would be really heavy. I would think the Bafeng mid-drive would be heavier and would affect steering and handling more.

Dave
Yes!
3.8 kg for BBS-001 500w 36V mid-drive motor - 0.96 kg for a double crankset = 2.84 kg extra weight.
This would be OK once moving, but I think a Steerstopper in delrin, and a M6 rivetnut into the frame, would be used to lock the steering when pushing the bike around, and lifting the rear wheel when turning a corner.
https://steerstopper.com/product
Steerstopper DOWN for pushing bike .jpg

Last edited:

Backley1

I'm VERY interested in your experiences with this bike. I have 15,000 miles on a SoftriderV2 that I bought in 2008; used to ride it everyday to teach school -- about five miles from my house in East Texas. Taught 8th grade Science; parked the bike in the front of the classroom by my desk (my image is when I lost a bet with the kids -- if they could get their state test results up to an average score of 85 for the entire 8th grade, I would let them dye my hair and wear it that way for a few days). Retired now, and at 74 years of age, I had a heart attack -- main artery 100% blocked. Lucky to be here. Am recovering, working out a lot hooked to monitors. Tried to get back on my Softrider for the first time -- two months after the heart attack, couldn't make it up a steep hill without walking the bike! Time to look at an electric-assist, the T-50 might be it. If I could get by without the assist, I would think about a Q45 or S40, but realistically, I will probably need some help. I'm currently down to about one-third of my heart's pumping efficiency, trying to work hard to get some function back. I'm realistically not going to bike long distances, just 20 to 30 miles at a time, and need help on hills.
This will be the perfect bike for you. I am 77 years old with back, knee, and shoulder troubles. I can easily ride 30 to 40 miles with my electric assist without any problems.