The best allroad tire for a fwd recumbent

Martin90

Hi, I am going to get a custom carbon fibre mbb fwd recumbent bike, so I need to decide the tire size...

I am looking for speed city riding, touring, light offroad and road riding. The surfaces are often quite demaged/poorly fixed, there are cobbles, nasty tram crossings, unleveled drain covers and high curbs in the city. For now I use an aluminium upride hybrid bike with Vittoria Randonneur Trail 40-622 but it is quite slow and also uncomfortable if seated over obsticles and it loses traction on mud and wet roots if unseated. Also almost unusable on any bit of snow/ice. This usage also couse some rather minor rim deformations(even though I am only 68kgs), I would like to prevent in the new bike.

I can afford only one bike.

Do I need multiple tires or even whole weels to perform well?

What tires and its size would be the best?

I was thinking about Schwalbe Marathon Almotion, but it is pretty heavy, especially the tubeless easy versions. How big is the risk of severe air leakeage when using the non tubeless easy versions tubeless?

Will the 1.5/28 inch version have some grip on slightly uphill unpaved forrest road? There are also wider versions and smaller diameters, but I don't want to be slow on tarmac...

Any suggestion for size or another tire? Should not l use different tire in rear and front?

Thank you.

Martin

3bs

whereabouts unknown
hi martin. sounds to me like a JM mystery bike or perhaps zokra is back in the game.
i personally believe that two wheelsets is the way to go, or at least a few tire sets. i would also have different cassettes on each wheel. i really like the 3t exploro mentality. one wheelset is the fast and mostly dry, one is the messy.

go with disc brake so you can go back and forth on wheel size. then do some 700c for road dry and maybe a 650b or another 700c wider.

i have the allmotion on one bike and it is a good tire, and you wont go wrong with it, but i think you could also take a closer look at the G - one line for example as your fast mostly dry tire, consider a g one speed, in 30 and then one of the bigger tread g or x for your messy tire.

the gh one speed will ride a lot of dirt roads as well, but eventually wet and muck rockiness will overcome the tire. in winter, i would run studded marathons on your heavier rim.

and yes we all want to hear about the bike.....

Martin90

hi martin. sounds to me like a JM mystery bike or perhaps zokra is back in the game.
i personally believe that two wheelsets is the way to go, or at least a few tire sets. i would also have different cassettes on each wheel. i really like the 3t exploro mentality. one wheelset is the fast and mostly dry, one is the messy.

go with disc brake so you can go back and forth on wheel size. then do some 700c for road dry and maybe a 650b or another 700c wider.

i have the allmotion on one bike and it is a good tire, and you wont go wrong with it, but i think you could also take a closer look at the G - one line for example as your fast mostly dry tire, consider a g one speed, in 30 and then one of the bigger tread g or x for your messy tire.

the gh one speed will ride a lot of dirt roads as well, but eventually wet and muck rockiness will overcome the tire. in winter, i would run studded marathons on your heavier rim.

and yes we all want to hear about the bike.....

Thank you, it seams G-One Speed would help, at least with the weight, but would it be any comfortable in 30mm at the surfaces/obstacles I described?
How the Almotion do on light offroad? I'm not sure if I can afford buying the bike and two wheelsets at once.
And what clearance would you recommend, will I need more than 700 38c, for example for a bit of mud or for the Winter? How much would some extra clearance compromise speed when using slim tyres?

I use the Rene Herse 650b x 42mm extralight. I love their tires. Given the range of uses you're describing you may want something even fatter, but this is all I could fit on my S40.

Norton

Good to know I've been looking at the Rene Herse for future use.
Do they hold up well?
Wonder how they compare to Schwalbe Marathon Plus?
Thanks

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i have one set of compass/rene herse that work fine, but i have been told they are somewhat prone to flats. thoughts?

g one speed in 30 would not be a good off road tire. i use them on hard dirt and gravel roads, but i would not use them as mountain bike tire.

You might try reaching out to them via email. I believe they have a European distributor, but I've never paid much attention. I put 26 x 42mm regular (not extralight) on my Quest last year and did 1000 miles on them with no flats. I know that's not a huge number but it's all I have. The bike came to me with Schwalbe marathons (can't remember if they were marathon plus) and the difference is night and day. Running them at low pressure (30 psi, for me) gives a buttery smooth ride, and they are much much lighter. I just got my S40 built up a few weeks ago so no long term experience yet but all I can say is I love the tires.

Brad R

I have 40mm x 622 Continental Terra Speed tires. I love them. Fast on pavement and pretty good on gravel/dirt.

I can’t go any wider unless I buy new wheels in 650b.

For a straight road tire I like the 32mm x 622 Continental GT5000.
I am running tubeless versions of both these tires.

I would expect Continental tires to be available all over Europe, but I don’t know if that is true.