The Cruzbike Body

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
In previous posts I have mentioned there is a difference between riding a Cruzbike and riding a Cruzbike well. I stand by that. On today's ride, I was thinking more about this and really, it's not much differnt from what they talk about getting "recumbent legs". With the Cruzbike, though, it's more than recumbent legs. You have to get your upper body involved and realize that your hips are getting in the action too. Riding a Cruzbike is almost like a dance. I took my first wobbly Cruzbike ride January 30th. Now, almost four months and a whole bunch of miles later, I am still seeing improvement. Yes, part of it is fitness, but most of it is handling abilities; getting that Cruzbike Body!

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I agree,

name one pleasant and useful activity that presents no ergonomic compromise or danger and which trains and trims the complete musculo-skeletal system.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: I agree,

name one pleasant and useful activity that presents no ergonomic compromise or danger and which trains and trims the complete musculo-skeletal system.
Swimming.
(In man-made predator-free facilities!)
-Steve

Kamatu

yakmurph wrote:

Swimming.
-Steve

Yep, although a pool big enough to exercise in costs a bit more than a stable full of Silvios.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote:

Swimming.
-Steve
Yes. I suppose it is useful if you have to cross the water and there is no bridge. :)

Hotdog

Kamatu wrote:
yakmurph wrote:

Swimming.
-Steve

Yep, although a pool big enough to exercise in costs a bit more than a stable full of Silvios.

Also the 'useful' aspect of swimming is more marginal than riding a Cruzbike :) A bike is a practical form of transportation under the right circumstances, whereas very few people can swim to work or take a touring holiday by swimming from place to place... ;)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote:

Swimming.
-Steve

I disagree. I think you would get a much better workout in predator infested waters.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: how is it you engage the upper body when riding the cruzbike?

You don't feel it? On hard climbing rides, I can really feel it in the biceps and shoulders. It's a matter of countering the effects of pedal steer.

Mark

kling

Mark B wrote:
yakmurph wrote:

Swimming.
-Steve

I disagree. I think you would get a much better workout in predator infested waters.

Mark

I concur, especially eel infested waters ;) [anyone seen Princess Bride?]

You might be so used to counteracting FWD torque steer with the upper body that you are unaware of it except under strenuous riding.
Kendrick

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
kling wrote: You might be so used to counteracting FWD torque steer with the upper body that you are unaware of it except under strenuous riding.
Kendrick

That would be my guess, as well. In fact, during regular cruising mode, there is very little input needed. I've started to notice now that sometimes, I input too much, which indicates to me my legs are getting it dialed in. I've started to play around with hands free riding and while I can see where it can be done, I'm not there yet. On sprints and hard climbing, upper body input is required and after a day with lots of climbing, I can feel the use in my biceps and shoulders.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:

You don't feel it? On hard climbing rides, I can really feel it in the biceps and shoulders. It's a matter of countering the effects of pedal steer.
I dont feel it. Maybe because i dont do hard climbing here in denmark. Maybe because i am not yet fit enough to engage the upper body.

I have tried pulling my upper body forward, and it appears to go faster, but i cant keep it up for long. Maybe a minute or 2.

Kamatu

Mark B wrote:

Mark

Any kind of hammering sprint where you close up and you pull on the handlebars as you mash the pedals, but uphill ones are the best.