The emeljay mod

DavidJL

Would like to try the new S40, but already have a T50 and QX100 which have both been Emeljay'ed.

rx7mark

Guru
See my thread on my T50 Emiljay mod and Thor seat installation. It's a great commuter and exercise bike, and much more comfortable and adjustable than it was stock.

The mod was pretty straight forward and just a little fabrication required. It's what I like about the T50, it can be anything you want it to be, except a V.

Mark

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Will the complete Q45 front triangle fit onto a T50 frame?
Just looking at the pics of those two models I think there would likely be at least a couple of challenges. The attachment of the triangle at the bottom of the fork looks different, and the head tube/fork, although they don't appear different when looking at the two models, is likely different enough to not be inter-changeable.

The mod on each is easily enough accomplished starting with the stock model, that unless one has the other model's parts in their spare parts box it does not seem likely to be cost effective. I would do the mod on a T50 to have the more rigid steering as well as having the more rigid frame (using slightly larder diameter tires at a lower pressure for making for a more comfortable ride.)
I originally chose the Quest frames (I have both a Q559 and QX100) because I liked the idea of being able to fold the frame packing it into an airline suitcase as I'm a retired airline employee.

Either model has advantages, and I keep trying to slow down invoking the inevitable n + 1 law

billyk

Guru
I have what I think is a Q559 inside boom in my pile of parts. (Should be the same as the Q451 except maybe for the length ... which matters).

My boom is a perfect cylinder, OD close to/very slightly larger than 17/16th inches, about 27mm. You are welcome to it if you want.

The length matters for two reasons: it allows different leg adjustment, and the more of the inside tube that can be held within the outer boom housing the less flex there will be. As I remember from a decade ago, I got a longer boom from cruzbike in my quest to stiffen the frame. That's why I have this piece sitting around after I sold the Q559.