The flop

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Falling off a DF on a recovery ride is worse than falling off the vendetta at race speed. I have done both.

Pretty sure I cracked a rib as I can't laugh. 3rd day with a juicy elbow and a swollen right hand.

So how could I avoid it? I had a tubeless front that sort of flatted but gave out when turning right.

The only way out is having a valve alert warning system.

Is there such a thing?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Sneezes hurt.

I've broken ribs many times. They suck. I'd put them a 6 on the 10 scale but I deal with significant chronic pain daily.

DavidCH

I think I tolerate pain quite well but if you watch froomie in the tour... he goes out and rides the next day... I could say a total nutter and as tough as old boots.

I read somewhere that a way of reducing the amount of punctures is by putting a waist belt (without the buckle) between the tyre and the innertube.

I could try it on one of my bikes.

DavidCH

I even put holes in my right glove on the 4th & 5th knuckle. Perhaps I buy reinforced cycling mits from somewhere. It's the 5th day and tonight my right hand isn't so swollen and no pins and needles.

Right knee doesn't need to be covered but elbow still a bit juicy. Perhaps I buy a sleeved Jersey with kevlar elbows... I wonder if there is such a garment?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Dave, the other day I went to Don Quixote and saw a pair of fingerless motorcycle gloves that had a carbon fiber plate over the knuckles. I bought a pair for cheap, and I think they would work well in protecting them in crash. There was also some that were not fingerless. So, you might wanna check online for some because I am sure they are available.

DavidCH

Well... I heal quickly and I am already thinking on jumping on the bike tomorrow. Madness for sure. I can't believe how much I change each day.

My right hand after the accident swelled up so much that I couldn't even clench my fist.

Elbow was still juicy a couple of days ago.

Rib was a pain in the side.

Today I went for a 6km walk which I really enjoyed.

Today I took the wheel apart thinking that I could find the offending fault. Diddle. I did notice the edge of the rim had a couple of notches but they were very small. I removed all the dried sealant off the beads and felt inside and out for sharp objects. Nothing. So I think I will inflate the conti 5000 tlr with an inner tube just to be on the safe side.

(I wouldn't want to fall over again)

jond

Zen MBB Master
Crashing is a risk we dumb bunny cyclists on our 100 psi prayer tyres hope to avoid .

but we do crash and get back on because the risk is worth it ...... mostly

100 klm per descent is fun still . Wearing protective gear yeah sure why not if it helps you get back on.

ive always found somewhat luckily the psychological damage lasts longer.

Yeah I’ve got physical wounds and woken up in hospital two days later tales but I love cycling. Whew psychology now intact. Dam this rain.

DavidCH

You just have to wear a bandage and there will be someone around the corner that will give you a nightmare story. Say how about that one where I was going down a downhill at 60kph and I fell

I had to spend a month in the same seat for a month for the pelvis to mend without moving.

Sounds like a total nightmare.

DavidCH

Any broken bone is bad. My friend had the broken pelvis... I would have had it pinned. Don't think I could have stuck it out in a chair for a month

DavidCH

OK... so the repair on the bike process is going slower than the repair on my body. Temperature in the shade is 33c and no fan. To make matters worse the fixing bolt on the rear deuralleur is missing. Searched everywhere for it. Perhaps dementia is creeping in. The hanger got adjusted as the hanger's fixing bolts seemed super tight.

The worst is i don't seem to budge the dried sealant of the frame. Perhaps that oven cleaner foam spray on and rub off would work? I have tried just about everything else.

Any ideas?