The new-ish V

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
But the Red ones are faster. BTW. I’m 1.8m(72in) tall and find the Med chainstay is perfect

Maybe we need to meet up somewhere and swap bikes for a time trial. That way we can find out if it's the motor or the color. I for one know that my bike is way faster than I am. I certainly don't get every ounce of speed out of it. Sort of like putting a Ferarri in the hands of Mr. McGoo!

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
I've tried all three size chainstays (standard 19.5", medium 21.5", large 23.5"). If helpful, see pics below of all three on the bike. Based on your and my pictures of the standard and large chainstays, I am going to guess that we have roughly the same fitting on the bike.

I think the large was the fastest for me (but not by much), but I agree with your thoughts that it impacted handling and stability. Didnt bother me much on long, flat straight aways, but did handling did bother me a bit otherwise. Like you, with the long chainstay, the slider/boom was just about parallel to the ground. It also caused the handlebars to drop too low, so I added a curved slider in the "upside down" position.

I currently ride using the medium chainstay, and find that it is the best combination of speed and handling

Thanks for posting the available chain stays! That's very helpful information for me to see if I'll be able to get the hip angle I want with a Vendetta.
Could you tell me your height, inseam, and X-seam?
That would be super helpful.
The way I measure hip angle with an on-line protractor. It looks like your highest bottom bracket position gives you a hip angle of 150 degrees.
Thanks, cruzbike high BB.jpg

cruzKurt

That would be super helpful.
The way I measure hip angle with an on-line protractor. It looks like your highest bottom bracket position gives you a hip angle of 150 degrees.
Thanks,

Looks like this old thread got resurrected, so I am gonna ask, what hip angle are you looking for? I am 6'2", I purchased a longer chainstay and am going to fit it this weekend probably. Need to get lots of before and after pics to compare.

Also, @BJ686 love those wheels, care to share what type wheels you have?

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
Looks like this old thread got resurrected, so I am gonna ask, what hip angle are you looking for? I am 6'2", I purchased a longer chainstay and am going to fit it this weekend probably. Need to get lots of before and after pics to compare.

Also, @BJ686 love those wheels, care to share what type wheels you have?
I've found I do best with 146 degrees. You can see daylight under the front of the seat where I raised it to get that hip angle.
My measurements are:

Height 5'10"
X-seam 42.5"
Inseam 33"
Weight 160#

Height 178cm
X-seam 108cm
Inseam 84cm
Weight 72.6kg
28mm 146 degrees best spin.jpg

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
I use this free online protractor.

Apollo

Very interesting discussion in this thread. It would be helpful when discussing fit that posters mention their particulars, height and X-seam. Chainstay length is a crucial option when considering proper fit on a Cruzbike and it's important to know what size the rider actually is. If I'm not mistaken (someone correct me if I am), there are five chainstay lengths. I only found this out a few months ago when I purchased my S30. Besides the ones mentioned there's also a very short length. So, the standard 19.5" length commonly speced is not a 'short' but is most often referred to as medium.

Short - 16.5"
Short - 17.5"
Medium (standard) - 19.5"
Long - 21.5"
Long - 23.5"

I use this free online protractor.

Cool tool!
I'm more concerned about my knee angle, aiming for a 30-35 degree bend.
Photo from way back

Attachments

• ginifab.com protractor 20220813000312.jpg
    ginifab.com protractor 20220813000312.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 16

cruzKurt

Keeping the thread up to date with my new extended chainstay, looks like about 140 degrees now compared to 153 before. I can tell you it felt MUCH harder pedaling this morning on my first 25 mile ride. I think my pedals are too close and will adjust and retest on my next ride. Moving the pedals should move me to something greater than 140. But overall, I like the position of the handlebars and the general "cockpit" feel of the bike. Screenshot 2022-10-10 111703.jpg

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
Looks like your second measurement is slightly further into the seat than the first. So the hip angle may not be as tight as 141 degrees.
And you're right, if the leg extension is a little tight it can make it harder to pedal.
You'll be using your glutes more with the tighter hip angle and should make more power.
So long as it's not too tight and causes knee stress.
In my experience, a too open hip angle feels easy to pedal at low effort, but I don't have as much power at high effort.
I'm not familiar with your front seat mounting, but if you needed to 'fine tune' the hip angle.
You could raise the front of the seat a little to open the hip angle.
And could test it by laying a towel on the front of the seat and taking a test ride to see if the raise gives you what you want.
Good luck with the geometry tuning!

cruzKurt

Looks like your second measurement is slig...
For now, my pedals are definitely too close. Will adjust that and go from there. I felt like all the power was coming from my quads today, really pushing back on the seat as I pedaled. Also, the main angle I started with was 20 degree seat angle which I know is accurate then measured to the BB center. Or at least tried to.

On another note, what kind of bike is that? I have been looking at low racers lately, really fascinating.

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
For now, my pedals are definitely too close. Will adjust that and go from there. I felt like all the power was coming from my quads today, really pushing back on the seat as I pedaled. Also, the main angle I started with was 20 degree seat angle which I know is accurate then measured to the BB center. Or at least tried to.
Hey Kurt,
Any updates on the new position/hip angle?
Are you making better power?
Does the less open position feel cramped, more perceived effort?

cruzKurt

Hey Kurt,
Any updates on the new position/hip angle?
Are you making better power?
Does the less open position feel cramped, more perceived effort?
I moved the pedals another inch farther away. I am getting close I believe. I also shifted to Speedplay pedals, so a few factors at play at the moment.