The quick and the dead

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Maybe the speed forum is the wrong place for this thread.

In the Essex countryside, I could see the impending junction from a long way off, and saw the hearse going past, followed by the limousine and the traffic jam. They had just enough time to cut me off. So there I was, behind them. I know I will never be in the same league as the fast guys, what with my lungs and all, but I probably get 17mph on that road without too much lactic acid. They held me to 14mph. No way to overtake. Okay, no worries, church coming up. Church went past at 14mph. Dead person must have played for the other team. No turn-offs for miles. I could not think of any other places of worship for miles around. Then we came to the downhill. Smooth road. Tailwind, even! It's not often I can get 30mph, and there I was, riding my brakes. Eventually I was able to turn off. And start going uphill. Why don't these dead people hurry up?

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Why don't these dead people hurry up?

Stop and think it over,
Try to put yourself in their unique position,
If the dead go slow on a long country road,
It's just a, family tradition*

*apologies to Hank Williams Jr

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Get an electric motor so you can overtake the situation next time it arrives or choose a suitable route on a Sunday. (Probably not any burial services on sunday. Maybe limited as it probably costs more)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Generating a puncture sounds like tempting fate. Had I got to the junction a bit earlier I would have been in front of them. If there had been a headwind I would not have been so annoyed.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Not hearses this time, but horses. And carts. And that is plural, not singular. A bloody enormous peloton of them. This is a long steep hill on which I have done 40mph in the past. So there I was, doing 6mph. So I overtook. I had just enough space between them and the oncoming traffic. I do not like letting that hill go to waste. I got to 34mph before the tight bend where I have to slow down. I am more scared of sliding than I am of cars or carts.