The Scottish Conversion

currystomper

Doug, I did as you suggested and added another couple of wheel nuts to the inside of swing arm and that was just about right. - problem solved

Now looking to mount the seat, structurally it would be nice to have the seat mount in the position shown in the picture below as it sits flat on the frame. however is that too far forward?? Anyone got any comments...

126_5578b5167b3b4338223bde8647e5915f

After I've mounted the seat there will have to be a pause in the build as I will have to 'EBAY' for some parts, bottom bracket, cranks etc.

Longer term I plan to re paint the front forks black so that they blend in with the other parts of the bike better.

PS I now have a fairly long line of friends wanting to try the conversion out when it is finished......

Currystomper

currystomper

the butterfly is getting close to flying

Getting Close...

126_804ad6c5727b0491969e0abe0b1f116a

All the basic bits are in place - just need to adjust the brakes and gears, tidy up the cable and it will be time for the first ride and a post on the brag board!!

...of course lots to do after then - sort out the front changer, the tyres, add a rack.......

Cuurrystomp'

WhiteSilvio

Re: the butterfly is getting close to flying

currystomper wrote: Getting Close...
All the basic bits are in place - just need to adjust the brakes and gears, tidy up the cable and it will be time for the first ride and a post on the brag board!!
...of course lots to do after then - sort out the front changer, the tyres, add a rack.......
Currystomp'
Hi Currystomp'
Looks good. I'd be tempted at some stage to cut off the now defunct old bottom bracket to get rid of some weight.
Just below where the swing arm pivot meets the frame.
Mind you, you'd want to make sure the pivot area was still strong enough and also attempt to generally "seal" the cut end, but besides that it would be sweet, IMHO.
I'm sure you'll keep us informed with riding progress. Is this your first recumbent? (Have you mentioned that in other posts?)
Regards,
John R

currystomper

Yes - in the future I think I will look at removing the old bottom bracket - I couldn't get one half of the bearing shell out so even more weight to lose!

An old folding bike I had used a block of wood to plug the end of the frame - I may go that way if I can't find an aluminum welder.

Cheers

Currystom'

currystomper

...rode the conversion for the first time today. I think that putting folding pedals on it was a bad idea :eek: one more thing to worry about and I had enough to worry about riding the bike & I think I'm going to be one of the slow learners.

Anyway got non folding pedals to put on the bike so I'll have another go during the week :twisted:

-- watch this space. :p

Currystomp'

currystomper

We have blast off!!

..just a quick post I should be doing the DIY!!

I've just been out on the Cruz' for a 2nd shot at riding it. To be honest the first attempt was a disaster!! :oops:

So it was with the wieght of the Cruzbike community, the money I had spent and the expectant of the family that I went out this morning.

Found a nice quite car park....
Got ready, helmet and gloves on.....
Dam there is someone in that car over there...( Am I going to embarrass myself!!)
Put the foot on the pedal...
Push off..
Other foot up...
Hey.. that's two pedal rev's
three, four, five.
I want to go over there, gentle bank
-- hey I can control where I'm going (approximately).

20 minutes later its looking good, control isn't good enough for the road yet, but that's just practice!!!

Way Hey!! its great not to be looking at your feet when riding a bike!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all for your help on the build and all your various posts which have help me on my way!! :D

Currystomper..

PS back to the DIY now ;-(

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Well done, CS!

My initial rides were similar, but I also had an inappropriate handlebar arrangement that made it harder to get going.

You'll find you body automatically develops the programming to ride, very quickly. Key point: at first you'll be tensing-up your shoulders and arms, fighting your leg input. Relax your shoulders and arms, no white knucles needed! Things will go very quickly after that.

Welcome to Cruzin'!

Best,

Doug

currystomper

Hardtailcruzer wrote: Well done, CS!

You'll find you body automatically develops the programming to ride, very quickly. Key point: at first you'll be tensing-up your shoulders and arms, fighting your leg input. Relax your shoulders and arms, no white knucles needed! Things will go very quickly after that.

Welcome to Cruzin'!

Best,

Doug

Last week I was trying to be generally relaxed and point my feet where I wanted to go and generally its a great advice and a good start, however I find a have a wobble every four peddle strokes. I think this was the point my feet lost it and my head/hands took over to correct the wobble - so I was not fit for the road .This weekend I added more control from my hands when I needed to be accurate with my riding, this seems to help. After last weekends relax mantra, my feet are not fighting for control when I do this. So I think that I'm ready for the quiet paths to and from work and will be able to get more riding in.

This learning process is really interesting!!!

- I commute with a rucksack - so I'll need to find a solution to carrying my gear on the bike - maybe I can hang it off of the seat..

Cheers

Currystomp'

Gromit

Guru
currystomper wrote: I commute with a rucksack - so I'll need to find a solution to carrying my gear on the bike - maybe I can hang it off of the seat..

Cheers

Currystomp'
A seat post rack perhaps? I used to have a Topeak MTX BeamRack (A-Type) on my Sofrider. I had the A-Type to maximise the clearance over the rear wheel. Maybe on your conversion, a straight seat post rack would be fine. You could attach your rucksack to the rack with bungee cords.

The cheapest (and lightest) way to carry your rucksack would be to sling it in front of your chest rather than on your back. Been there, done that. Don't recommend it myself. :lol:

Sounds like you're getting the hang of riding your conversion. Relax and let it flow! ;) :)

wpatters

I suggest that you push outward with your feet as you pedal. This will cause the force vector to pass through the steering axis. Thus, no torque on the handlebars.

I add "knee savers" to increase Q. When you feet are out a bit, it helps the outward push. I'm not sure the knee savers actually help, but I like them anyway. ha ha

Bill

buyagain

teacherbill wrote:
wpatters wrote: I add "knee savers" to increase Q. Bill

What are "knee savers" :?:
Yeah what does Wpatter mean when he says knee savers.

That little yellow thing on the back of my bike what I call a "knee saver" big time. And I'm an expert on knees, (knobby knees) that is.

PS That little yellow thing is a 1200 watt engine. I think Australia has some rediculous limits to minimum power for licensing of bicycles. Under 50 cc engines and a peddle powered bikes don't require licenses in Tennessee.

1200 watts translates to a 1.6 hp or a 33 cc engine. Please note mine is a quiet little 4 cycle. put put put. Sounds kinda like a quiet Harley. ROTFALMAO

gannet

"I think Australia has some ridiculous limits to minimum power for licensing of bicycles."

Sadly we do, 200w electric or equivalent in petrol.
But, we are working on it, hoping for both an increase in the non-licensed size, and perhaps a low power registration category - would make for a very practical vehicle.

I have a 200w kit, filled to a Scott Sportster (DF), but am selling it off in favour of a Silvio. it just doesn't improve the 'cycling experience' enough. Would be keen to try a more powerful hub motor in a cruzbike later on however... I am having a bit of knee trouble just now. :cry:

( oh dear - is this a bit off topic?)