The V Chronicles

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cowbell will likely be Mrs Ratz as it has the shorter reach she needs
yes the shorter reach and wide tops are what is attractive to me about the cowbell 2. i guess like anything it is just a matter of trying it out. i like the idea of being able to bend my elbows a bit when transferring hand position from fully extended top of hoods back to the drops.

i went through 3 bullhorn bars before i found (or had to find) my preference :)

with the v20 and large chain stay which i assume (dangerous word) is the same as the old large v2 yella the handlebar with the same measurements from pivot point/bottom bracket end up higher (to be measured) than the v2 .

i will likely not need to use the stem extension piece. further the boom is lowered with the bb and at more of an angle putting my legs lower and possibly more aero and giving clearer forward vision. my arms are virtually in the same position. the boom on my v2 was virtually horizontal.

went for my first v20 test ride and really thought it was better than great. especially compared to my DF nightmare rides of late as i toughen up the butt neck and wrists. i agreed to ride an audax with my friend on the df instead of a bent. what a fool am I.

after this audax i am going to hang the df up beside the v2 as wall art and call the display "ying and yang." or comfy smart and uncomfortably stupid. :)

the lower bb and wider handlebar made it easy to handle the new ride position.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
after this audax i am going to hang the df up beside the v2 as wall art and call the display "ying and yang." or comfy smart and uncomfortably stupid. :)

Lot of people look for used V's that will be frustrated by that.

ratz

went for my first v20 test ride and really thought it was better than great. especially compared to my DF nightmare rides of late as i toughen up the butt neck and wrists. i agreed to ride an audax with my friend on the df instead of a bent. what a fool am I.

Only a fool if you don't break that promise.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Only a fool if you don't break that promise.

mate you are not wrong about that. i am off to do some fishing and see how i go. i may just have to pull rank as the senior cyclist.

at ride number 14 I am heartily sick of the DF's novelty value. it sat for so long i had to recable it. it is not getting any more comfy with use. it is just me putting up with it and accepting the limitations of a lesser bike.

i could never let my old yella go. she is signed by john t and shares a story or two. "Mission" has pride of place hung in the workshop unless she falls on the wife's mx 5 miata car :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
kline i put one on strava yesterday for the maiden voyage but i will take some more soon. compared to the three builds detailed on our forum mine is very ahem boring ho-hum ultegra mechanical understated. working on a handlebar too before final cabling etc. copying roberts white bar tape and outer cables............. this bike "jaffa" is going to get some good use.

as a side note i find the new shimano 6800 ultegra 11 speed to be better than my 10 speed 7900 durace shifting and braking. not as positive shifting as the 10 speed sram red off the v2 but buttery smooth. i am very impressed especially by the braking much better than the sram red .
i got paid for a job in cycling equipment (a whole DF bike already departed company :) ) so accepted the various ultegra parts as settlement as it was long cage rear mech set. limits me to 32 teeth but the chainring is a sub compact 52-36. i used the shimano bb and installed shims. my bikes are getting a sram red 10 speed upgrade handed down to them .

i was able to use my 10 speed freehub powertap wheelsets and convert them to 11 speed with a shoulder shave and with no wheel re-dishing. the bike will look mean mean mean and fast with the enve 6.7 wheelset on her.
pics soon.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond, remember that Ultegra shifters operate OPPOSITE to Sram!!!
Remember that it has NOT happened UNLESS there are Photos as a great wise man has said!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Man I wish we could run rims that deep in our winds....
MOVE SOUTH young man!!!
Where the grass is always greener, "Beautiful one day, Perfect the next", where there is NO snow, or sleet, only sunshine and never ending mountain descents!!

I'm riding for two years with non-wrapped bars. My gloves do the job, and I can fine-tune my adjustments
I found riding with my bar tape needing to be redone riding up the KOM on the tour down under ride my ungloved fingers were struggling.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I found riding with my bar tape needing to be redone riding up the KOM on the tour down under ride my ungloved fingers were struggling.

barry i could not ride long term without bar tape. unless I radical batman flipped the bars :) like ratz i like the 3.2mm tapes. chunky and grip grip grip. flat out like a lizard drinking :)

ccf

Guru
Cobb rings and cranks....available stock in 145 and 155mm crank lengths. These are 145. Perfect. Any longer and I would have had to either cut the boom or drill out the water cage mounts on the slider. I left the round chainrings on in light of the concensus that Q rings are of less benefit w short cranks. Time will tell.

@ReklinedRider, how did you use the spacers that come from Cobb with the GXP-style BB? The cobb cranks and BB come with a thin and a thick flat spacer, and a spring spacer, none of which match the splines on the non-drive side. My SRAM GXP BB has a single flat spacer that fits over the splines on the non-drive side.

ratz

The cobb cranks and BB come with a thin and a thick flat spacer, and a spring spacer, none of which match the splines on the non-drive side. My SRAM GXP BB has a single flat spacer that fits over the splines on the non-drive side.

The regular Spacers are usually for MTB frames; that need a wider q-facotr for wide chain-stains and big tires.

The spring Spacer is for all frames; and assumes angular bearing races. It's job is to keep the bearings pre-loaded with tension so they stay in the race ways correctly. It's usually install on the drive side. Shimano and Rotor cranks usually come with a wave washer for that purpose. You don't have to use it but it will improve the life of your BB bearings.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
@ccf........interesting.......my Cobb set did not come with the flat spacers nor a wave/spring spacer. Like ratz says, some sets come with them, others don't.......some FSA sets come with a wave spacer also. I looked back at the printed instructions that came with mine, and no spacers, wave nor flat, are mentioned, nor are they in the online instructions. I just took my crankset off to look and make sure I wasn't forgetting about them....nope, not there, neither on the drive nor non-drive side. If your instructions mention them, i would follow your instructions as Cobb may have changed since I bought and installed mine. The online instructions say that a 16mm hex is used on the retaining bolt; my retaining bolt uses a 10mm, so there seems to be some variation within the Cobb system.

ccf

Guru
The regular Spacers are usually for MTB frames; that need a wider q-facotr for wide chain-stains and big tires.

The spring Spacer is for all frames; and assumes angular bearing races. It's job is to keep the bearings pre-loaded with tension so they stay in the race ways correctly. It's usually install on the drive side. Shimano and Rotor cranks usually come with a wave washer for that purpose. You don't have to use it but it will improve the life of your BB bearings.

Which side do the flat spacers go on?

BTW, the spacer with the cutouts for the splines is there. It was adhering so well from the grease that I didn't see it at first.

ratz

Which side do the flat spacers go on?

BTW, the spacer with the cutouts for the splines is there. It was adhering so well from the grease that I didn't see it at first.

One each side if needed.