Thule T2 hitch rack modifications for V20

I'm a new recumbent rider and bought a used V20. However, the V20 is too big to fit on 2011 Thule T2 platform hitch rack. However, I came up with a modification that works and is completely reversible should you want to return the rack to its original condition. It saved me from having to buy a new bike rack and only cost about $75.00.

The rack is not wide enough to hold the bike with the wheels. However, it's possible to replace the bottom support with a longer piece of metal. Then use a front wheel mount to clamp the rear wheel dropouts to the rack. I had the mount already from when I had a truck bed rack.

A local welder/machinist did the work for $75.00 (including painting the new support), but it wouldn't be too hard to DIY if you can find the metal. A drill press would be essential, well...for drilling straight holes anyway.

The only thing I had to do was drill a hole to locate/hold the clamp on the left side of the support. The bike needed to be on the rack to mark the location of the clamp. You don't actually have to drill a hole, but I wanted one for extra security. Hopefully the pictures will make all this clear.

The original rack is pictured first, followed by the modified rack.
Thule_original.jpg Thule_modified.jpg Thule_wheel_mount.jpg Thule_clamp.jpg

Hey there.... Yes, I live only a 7 minute drive from the start of the Tanglefoot in New Albany. Have only ridden the V20 there, because I just started outside riding last Thursday, and it was my first-ever recumbent. It was a bit shaky getting used to it (ha!), but it's a lot better now. I've now ridden over 130 outside miles, and am planning to ride 48-50 miles today on the Tanglefoot. I still drift a little too much for my liking, but it's actually becoming quite fun. So fast on the flats! I'll try hills once I have spent more time on the Tanglefoot.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I live only a 7 minute drive from the start of the Tanglefoot in New Albany
I didn't expect that trailhead to be right there in downtown, like to not found it. I've ridden from there to the north city limits of Pontotoc, and from Houston up to the Pontotoc County line. The Houston trailhead was in a sketchy neighborhood, just a pavilion with a couple of picnic tables, no bathrooms or whistle-stop station. Have they improved it any?

The stop at Houston has been improved. Now there is a bathroom and water fountain under a pavilion (similar to all the other stops). However, several of the bathrooms are closed due to Covid. Not exactly sure why that is…some closed, some open.

There is now a nice stop at New Albany. It was completed in 2019, or early 2020. Bathrooms, water fountain, picnic tables, etc.

New Albany to north Pontotoc is my normal route.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I grew up in north Mississippi, and now live in the central part of the state. I go down to Hattiesburg several times a year to ride the Longleaf Trace, and take my daughter and son-in-law to lunch.

Have you ever ridden the Bikes, Blues, and Bayous event in Greenwood? Now that's flat...

One of these days I'll ride the Longleaf.

I have wanted to ride that for a few years now, but my shoulder problems have gotten in the way of it. I've had two rotator cuff surgeries since 2018, both of which prevented my participation in BBB. A good friend of mine from Pontotoc goes every year. Maybe eventually I'll be able to make it. :)

DocS

Guru
John, Welcome aboard the Cruzbike Forum and to the tribe!
Thanks for sharing your modification to the bike rack here.

Blessings,
DocS (AKA Rudy from WeMe).

Thanks for sharing your modification. Do you know how many inches of additional clearance you gained? I know it would depend on what’s added to the headrest bar.

A couple other things.
You definitely need the matching Ventisit cushion for that seat.
Another Speedplay Frog fan! Too bad they’re discontinued. I’ve enjoyed mine.

Thanks for sharing your modification. Do you know how many inches of additional clearance you gained? I know it would depend on what’s added to the headrest bar.

A couple other things.
You definitely need the matching Ventisit cushion for that seat.
Another Speedplay Frog fan! Too bad they’re discontinued. I’ve enjoyed mine.

I wouldn't doubt I need a few things. Haha, I am so new! It has been recommended that I buy a Thor seat. Opinions on that compared to what I have? I do have a narrower seat that the cushion fits on. Being new, I didn't know if I was supposed to use the same cushion. (Also, I'm cheap! As it's decently comfortable, I have been using it.)

Those Speedplays are actually Zeros. I have used Speedplay pedals for years on my road bikes. I swapped the Zeros from my DF bike since I'm not using it.

Additional clearance? Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the bike wouldn't fit at all on the original rack, even with the rear wheel removed. It was about 3" too short to add the front wheel mount. The original support beam is 48". The new one is 54". However, I made it offset so that all the extra length is now on the left side. So, measured from center, the right side is the original 24". The left side is 30". I wanted everything to shift over to the left. On my Subaru Outback, the crank sticks out about 2-3" on the passenger side. On the driver's side, the bottle cages stick out about 3". Hope that helps.

It has been recommended that I buy a Thor seat. Opinions on that compared to what I have? I do have a narrower seat that the cushion fits on. Being new, I didn't know if I was supposed to use the same cushion.
The seat you have on now is either the Thor seat or another similar one, like Volae. The Ventisit pad you have probably fits the original V20 seat, a narrower one with less up curve at the shoulders, does not have supporting ribs, but has turned down edges. See here for comparison and other great tips. You might want to try using the original seat, many riders find it suits them well. It's light and probably is a bit more aero.

It's too bad you didn't also get the matching pad as you're missing the advantage of having additional shoulder support. You can buy one for around $100 or get creative and make one. I can't seem to locate the link I had to buy that material. Was it Jason @RojoRacing that knows where to get some?