Time To Move On...

NoCruzbike

Since I purchased my Silvio back in Jan/2012, I have tried it with my Ultegra groupo/wheelset and my touring setup. The bike offers a great deal in comfort, being able to see 180 degrees in front without craning your neck and no discomfort some riders experience with a DF bike.

Getting to the point where I could ride it certainly took me longer than 30 minutes, more like weeks. Not faulting the bike...it was more operator issues than bike issues. I had never ridden a recumbent before. Once I changed the handlebars to the WTB Mountain Road bars, handling the bike became immensely easier. Now, I was off and leaning the nuances of the Silvio.

My goal, when I purchased the Silvio, was to see if it would meet my road bike desires and my touring needs. I had imagined that the Extra Wheel trailer would be perfect for this bike. The groupos, road and touring, both fit well on the Silvio and I had road/touring wheelsets that worked well, also.

Initial, and continuing, issues with the Silvio have been: twitchy front end and wheel slippage.

On descents, I was able to handle the twitchiness of the front end by following the tips I read on this blog. Putting pressure against the handlebars and seatback helped keep the bike stable. What never changed was the reaction the bike had to any upper body movement I made while descending. Something I never experienced with a DF bike.

As for the wheel slippage, it was not significant overall, but was significant at the times it happened. Fell once. Came to an absolute stop another time and put my feet down. After one adjustment so my legs were better positioned and the handlebars were a bit closer, the Silvio felt great. While out riding it to check out these adjustments, I was ascending a hill after a fast descent and I shifted from the large chainring to the middle chainring and simultaneously pushed hard against the left crank. I went down in a heartbeat, sliding along the road bed. Funny thing was that my body protected the bike frame. The only part of the bike that suffered scratches was the end of the Shimano M324 pedal and the MTB handlebar had about a two inch long section where the paint was scraped off.

Definitely sustained some painful road rash on my right leg/hip and right arm. While recovering from this, I continued to ride the Silvio. Once recovered, I did a few long rides with the Silvio. Climbing one of the big but short hills near where I live, I realized that the Silvio would not suffice for my needs. It was a road performance bike, plain and simple. My desire is to tour and do some road riding on the off times.

So, the Silvio is for sale and is posted on the "Buy and Sell...Upgrade!" section of the Forum. I am only selling the frame, handlebars (two sets) and an extra derailleur hanger and front wheel skewer. $1200 plus shipping. FIRM.

Back to the DF bikes .... which I've ridden without the issues that I've read about in this Forum. Brooks saddle, a more upright position (attained with the right handlebar stem), and a properly adjusted bike. Have ridden thousands of miles with no pain. Perhaps I'm one of the fortunate ones.

Happy trails to the Cruzbikers,
Patrick

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Sorry to see you go...

Thanks for posting your experience to go along with your reasons for selling your Silvio frameset. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones where I felt at home on the Cruzbike (Sofrider) within a day of riding. Some of the issues you had, namely the handling on descents, is easily managed by techniques others have posted but I look at the handling traits as providing positive road feedback. For me, coming from a responsive upright racing bike (Titus Modena...also for sale soon as uprights just don't suit me now), the handling of the Silvio, on a fortunate test-ride, felt AMAZING. I find the feel connects the rider to the road. Yes it takes time to get used to and no, it's not for everyone. I am currently Cruzbike-less, but I look forward to building up my own Silvio and someday a Vendetta.

Now that you're going back to DF bikes, this would be a good time to consider a nice Rivendell to go with that Brooks saddle. Speaking of Brooks, I have a 1972 one. If I ever would get back into riding a DF, that would be the saddle of choice for me also.

Good luck selling your Silvio frame. I'm sure it will move quickly at that price!

NoCruzbike

DF bikes

Hi Andrew,

Yes, Rivendell is nice, but my 26yr old Cannondale ST500 is in good shape. Just needs a paint job which will be done in August. After that's done, I'll put my Deore XT crankset, Deore XT front/rear derailleurs and some new Shimano 105 9spd shifters on it, along with some new racks and a different stem...then it's back to touring for me. The Ultegra groupo/wheelset will go back on my 1984 Vitus 979 frame for a racing/road bike...also with a new stem to give me a bit more of an upright position on it. Both of these sport Brooks saddles. Too bad Cruzbike can't get Brooks to work with them on a seat!

I always felt like the front end feel of the Silvio would connect me to the road...literally, which is why it's time to move on.

Patrick

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Patrick, it was enjoyable to

Patrick, it was enjoyable to read your honest and open-minded review of your Silvio as you went through the learning process and eventually riding it. It's sad it didn't fit your touring expectations. Probably a Softrider with disc brakes and custom 700c touring wheels would have been a better fit for your purposes. But again a tried-and-test upright touring bike is also not a bad decision.

I read with interest David Byrne's blog here http://recyclingtheworld.us/wordpress/ . It seems the cruzbike can be a good touring bike for some people. The photo below is from Nanda's spincyclz gallery. One of the best 700c customized softriders I've seen.

alt="Cruzbike Softrider with 700c Wheels."
3857714377_1daa3e9c66_b.jpg  height: 768px;

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Another nice 700c Touring

Another nice 700c Touring setup by Nanda http://www.spincyclz.com/

alt="700c Touring Softrider."
4722322502_383e1eb1df_b.jpg

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Touring, it seems can also be

Touring, it seems can also be done on a Vendetta when appropriately setup. The french really love the V! Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IvB82KFaRc&feature=relmfu

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Touring

Touring V!

alt="Tuoring V!"
p1030610.jpg

http://velorizontal.bbfr.net/t10687p255-cruzbike-vendetta?highlight=Vendetta