Tires (wheels) for Sofrider V1

Hi, All,

I bought a used Sofrider V1. Still have to assemble it, as it was shipped to me, but looking forward to joining the FWD recumbent club. :)

I've been looking at the comparison of V1 to V2. While I might wait to upgrade the drive train to 16 speed, I am interested in upgrading the tires, and perhaps get a stiffer stem assembly.

The V2 sports 26 x 1.25, 100 psi tires, for more of a road feel. Is there any reason to go to 1 inch tires, or to not go to 1 inch tires? Does a tire upgrade for the V1 also beg a wheel upgrade? Or is going to 100 psi and narrower sufficient?

Also, any suggestions on specific stem assembly upgrades?

Thanks for your help.

David Hardt

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi again, Dave...

The V2 actually uses the same size tires as the V1 - 1.50 x 26, but they are rated at 100 psi instead of 65 psi.

Your tire choice is dictated by what type of riding you'll be doing.

I have one of the Interbike display prototype V1's as my personal bike. I have 1.00 x 26 Primo Comet tires on it right now, at 100 psi. The tires transmit a little more high-frequency vibration than the original Kendas, but they roll very efficiently and the suspension makes them quite a bit more comfortable than when I uses them on my unsuspended Vision, for example. What they don't do as well is all terrain, curb-hopping, gravel-travelling city riding. Since I now have a Silvio for road riding, I'm going back to the Kendas for commuting with the Sofrider. Here's a picture of a V2 next to my upgraded V1 Proto:

V2-V1-1.jpg

With a set of Schwable Stelvios, for example, the Sofrider V1 can be a wicked fast road recumbent, particularly with a carefully-executed 16 speed upgrade.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
My experience has shown that going to HP tires makes a huge difference. I'd spit the difference and look for a 1.25" 100 PSI tire. Though they frequently get overlooked, I've been perfectly happy with the Specialized Fat Boys I have on my conversion.

Wheels are a personal thing. I'd say run what you have until they won't run any longer, then upgrade. You'll probably find they will last you a good, long time. While wheels are a great upgrade, I would think that upgrading the drivetrain would come first.

Mark

Hi, Doug and Mark,

Thanks so much for the replies and ideas. I like the idea of "wicked fast." My wife hopes to like riding the bike as well, though, (especially if it is as easy to adjust to different rider sizes as it sounds like). So I should probably "split the difference" with a 1.25 for a little extra comfort for her. I gather the 1.00, even with the suspension, still transmits vibration that might put off a casual rider...?

Doug,
I do want to use a cruzbike for road riding, if only to avoid the "pain in the 45-year-old-butt" that I get from an hour or more on my diamond frame. I may eventually get a Silvio, but continuing along the ideas of a "wicked fast" V1, what other upgrades did you do to your V1 Prototype, that I should consider? For example, did you upgrade the stem assembly and handlebar tube, as was done on the V2, for stiffer handling?

And perhaps, in what order should I consider doing them, since I may have to follow a one-or-two-at-a-time budget?

Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes,
David