Tools for removing cranks and bottom bracket on Q45?

What are the best tools for removing the cranks and bottom bracket on a 2021 Q45? I have a persistent creak that is driving me a bit nuts, and I have tried tightening and massaging every other component of the front boom/wheel that I can think of, but without long-lasting success.

Thanks, Dave

Tuloose

Guru
It's probably best to look at YouTube videos on bottom bracket removal. I don't have a Q but my T50 has a square taper BB and I imagine that is the type you have.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
What are the best tools for removing the cranks and bottom bracket on a 2021 Q45? I have a persistent creak that is driving me a bit nuts, and I have tried tightening and massaging every other component of the front boom/wheel that I can think of, but without long-lasting success.

Thanks, Dave
I have a 2022 Q45 that's creaking too! Please keep us updated on whether your investigation of BB fixes the creaking. Thanks!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
You would need an 8mm Allen to remove the outside crank bolt and then a crank puller, as well as a BB removal wrench or adapter, and a good crescent wrench or socket for them:

On the BB tools there are many versions - some brands (Shimano) even like to come up with proprietary new ones ones because thats they way they are. So if you are installing a different BB or crank you might have to make sure the tools will also work on the new ones...

Good vid on BB's and they also have some other good ones for crank removal:

Beano

Regarding the creaking noises have we all checked the cleats on our shoes and pedals? ;)

When pedaling along disengage one foot and continue pedaling if there is no noise then it could be the cleat and interface on the pedal need some oil.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love

Thanks, Dave
Not trying to be smart here...but, are you sure it's the BB? Have you tried greasing all of the connecting joints and attachment hardware? That along with correct torque value might resolve the problem. Good luck!

It's probably best to look at YouTube videos on bottom bracket removal. I don't have a Q but my T50 has a square taper BB and I imagine that is the type you have.
Thanks to all those who have responded to my query.
You would need an 8mm Allen to remove the outside crank bolt and then a crank puller, as well as a BB removal wrench or adapter, and a good crescent wrench or socket for them:

On the BB tools there are many versions - some brands (Shimano) even like to come up with proprietary new ones ones because thats they way they are. So if you are installing a different BB or crank you might have to make sure the tools will also work on the new ones...

Good vid on BB's and they also have some other good ones for crank removal:

Robert, thanks for the links to the two tools. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Cheers, Dave

I highly recommend the Park Tools videos & tutorials. They are very user friendly!
Thanks for the recommendation. I have indeed watched those and agree they are well done. My issue was figuring out exactly which one of the many BB removal tools I needed for my Q45, and Robert has now provided that information.

Not trying to be smart here...but, are you sure it's the BB? Have you tried greasing all of the connecting joints and attachment hardware? That along with correct torque value might resolve the problem. Good luck!
I have indeed tried greasing, tightening, loosening, and repositioning each and every component of my front boom assembly, but so far without long-term success (I've experienced a temporary reprieve from the creak on several occasions, but it keeps returning after just a few rides). I brought my Q45 to a bike store where they used a torque wrench, which again succeeded in quieting the creak, but only for a few days.

Cheers, Dave

billyk

Guru
Some wisdom from @Always-Learnin here.

Maybe it’s the bottom bracket but consider something simpler before buying a bunch of tools you probably won’t use very much.

Spokes can be the cause of infuriating clicking and creaking. And the noise can travel and appear to come from anywhere on the bike. So first get yourself a spoke wrench - which you’ll use often - and learn how to check and adjust your spokes.

I spent weeks struggling with a creak (I was sure it was the seat or swingarm) until someone made this suggestion. Now it’s my first go to.

One hint is that spoke creaks are often loudest when you’re pushing hard. I guess so are other things, but anyway worth trying.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but you might want to tighten the bolts on your chainrings. On my DF bike I had a persistent creak that was caused by a loose bolt on my chainring. At first I thought it was a bad BB so I put on a new one on, but that wasn't what solved the creak, nor was it my seat post.

VasancityAcadamey

To remove cranks and a bottom bracket on a Q45, you'll need specific tools:

1. **Crank Puller:**
Use a crank puller to remove the cranks from the bike's spindle. This tool threads into the crank arm and extracts it from the bottom bracket.

2. **Bottom Bracket Tool:**
Employ a bottom bracket tool compatible with the Q45's bottom bracket type. This tool engages with the bottom bracket cups, allowing you to loosen and remove them.

3. **Allen Wrenches:**
Allen wrenches are essential for loosening bolts securing the cranks to the spindle. Ensure you have the appropriate size for the crank bolts on the Q45.

4. **Adjustable Wrench:**
Use an adjustable wrench to turn the bottom bracket tool and loosen the bottom bracket cups. This ensures a secure grip and effective removal.

5. **Grease and Lubricant:**
Apply grease or lubricant to facilitate the smooth removal of cranks and bottom bracket components, preventing undue stress and easing the disassembly process.