Tour Down Under (BUPA) Challenge Ride

Woke up at the ungodly hour of 5am although would have been earlier not for my awesome girlfriend who drove me to the start line.
Start was slow considering that 5000 or more cyclist were trying to get on the road but eventually we were off. Pretty soon we were climbing up toward Norton Summit just to give the legs something to do.
I should do more climbing training but I really love Serenity where she excels on the flat but I am no slouch on the hills plus I needed to keep myself in check for a big (for me) 145 km ride.
Plenty of comments on the way, "sleeping / lying down on the job" "check that out" but when I was on a decent or the flat comments were more like "that's not fair" or "hey slow down". I took it all in my stride and many people asked along the way or at rest stops about my baby.
Passing was difficult at times with so many on the road but with patience I got through until I had to stop or climb and made my way further back again.
Mechanical issues (loose lock nut, service your bike before any event people) and malnutrition slowed me down just before Goolwa (there were plenty of rest stops but most (all that I visited) only stocked water and having I am used to getting spoilt by BikeSA I did not bring food with me). I had to slow down, some what and let people pass even on the flat, it almost killed me). Eventually I made it to Goolwa where there was food (omm nom nom so hungry) and a mechanic. 100km down (usually my maximum) 45km to go can I do it.
Glad to be able to push myself again having refueled I headed out to regain what ground I had lost. I almost bawled before the KOM and to take the escape route but I had made it this far might as well finish the entire race. The climb was hard especially after 100km averaging 145bpm and I was reminded again I should have serviced my bike as my bar tape had slipped off so I was on bare metal but I wasn't going to stop now to fix it.
Made it to the top of the climb it's all downhill from here right... Wrong a few little rollers just to break up a nice restful decent and a cramp hits. Not to bad I was worried about cramping as I had cramped pretty bad on a ride the week before. I was hitting the poweraid but it wasn't enough but quick stretch and time to get going again.
Finally we get past the rollers to a decent decent / flat to the finish line. Had a discussion with a rider re: recumbents vs DF, explain the dynamic boom of the cruzbike, how the only disadvantage on climbing really is weight (and my lack of training) he conceded that sometimes he is jealous of recumbents but for him "it is DF all the way" fair play to him and he pulls slightly away on a small climb however soon enough the climb is over and I scream past him on the decent "Seeya later :)"
On to the finish line still had enough in the tank to sprint to the finish just for fun. Crowds had gathered to cheer on friends and family or wait for the pros either way they were happy to cheer us on as well and the extra encouragement certainly helped the adrenaline flow.
Finish location was on the water perfect spot, quick dip to cool down, feed then watch how the pro's do it.
On the whole a great day and today I am feeling fine which is pretty amazing also.

BUPA Challenge Ride Strava

Oh and of course my replacement wheel arrives today but no matter

Bentas

Good write up Barry, and well done, being a lone recumbent rider in my neck of the woods ( Launceston ,Tas) out of interest were there any other recumbents on the ride?
Cheers Rob

Good write up Barry, and well done, being a lone recumbent rider in my neck of the woods ( Launceston ,Tas) out of interest were there any other recumbents on the ride?
Cheers Rob
I only saw one other recumbent (not a cruzbike) at the finish line. I know of one or two Cruzbikes in Adelaide not sure if they made it out for the Tour though

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nice write up - let's see some pictures!

I looked at some of the KOM's for this ride. Some pretty serious pros out there too - turning in times of around 3:25 for the 145K
Saw Lars Boom - averaged 378watts for 3 1/2 hours! wow, but still only averaged around 25pmh. He must be a big guy.
https://www.strava.com/activities/475680787#11415194011

Other pros averaging around 200watts, still with similar speeds

Nice write up - let's see some pictures!
Pictures won't be available until Friday when I get the professional ones. I didn't take any, too busy riding, if only I had a nice VIRB camera. GF has asked if I want one, so many toys so little $$ right now.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I only saw one other recumbent (not a cruzbike) at the finish line. I know of one or two Cruzbikes in Adelaide not sure if they made it out for the Tour though
I had my right leg in a brace after a training accident just before Christmas, and still 3 weeks of physio before I am allowed to ride!!
Its killing me!!!

Bentas

Great pics Bazz,
Looks like there's quite a few df riders in your wake at the top of the climb pictured, well done