Trail-Gator on Q45?

dule0911

Possible or not? Anybody tried it?
http://www.trail-gator.com/products.html
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/trail-gator-bicycle-tow-bar-47819

I know that I would probably need to disable the rear suspension somehow in order for it to work, or not? Since I thought of attaching it to the bar that holds the seat bracket. The most upright part of it (highlighted in red):

Thinking of putting one child in the child seat on the rear rack, other child on his bike attached to the trail gator if possible. If not, I will consider some child trailer for both, but that is not my primary solution.

Side question. If I do replace the rear shock with some sort of solid connection (either a lockable rear damper or just a solid bar), would the Q45 frame take it without structural issues?

On second thought, I think the FollowMe Tandem makes more sense as it mounts to your rear axel, the child’s wheel stays on to let them ride solo when appropriate.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
On second thought, I think the FollowMe Tandem makes more sense as it mounts to your rear axel, the child’s wheel stays on to let them ride solo when appropriate.
The Follow Me is excellent. I use one with my kids on my mountain bike. But I have never used it on the Cruzbike. I would be afraid that it would give me a situation of the tail wagging the dog because I am quite lite at 61kg, the Cruzbike is not quite as nimble and the child:bike combo has a higher centre of gravity. @dule0911 I believe that you are heavier and taller than me so you would have a better situation however you will want to be cautious at transitions such as into driveways as those can result in dragging on the ground.

I’m not sure whether I would recommend it for use on the Q45 or not. It does put a fair amount of extra stress on the rear axle which is not very triangulated.

dule0911

Thank you all for the advice. The FollowMe Tandem seems to be a better solution, particularly for the Q45 with rear suspension. I just need to find out if they make an adaptor for a 100mm axle/QR, and if it works with disc brakes (from the pictures in the review that Mathew posted, it should work).

@benphyr
You might be right for the axle, will have to think about it. I might stick it on the S40, but that will be my speedy bike, not for these kind of purposes :)