Trainer recommendations

Just FYI, Cycleops Magnus will not work with S40 because the distance between the clamps on the QR skewer is not wide enough. I tried it out last night and will return it to REI soon. Guess I will try Wahoo Kickr Snap next.

Please do report back on how the Wahoo works with the S40. I will test on my trike, but would like to know how it works on the S40 for the future.

Hard to beat the 20% off REI member coupon on these purchases ;)

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Unfortunately 20% off doesn't apply to Wahoo trainers, at least not now. I seem to recall that it did apply on day 1. Maybe too many people buying Wahoo's.

Unfortunately 20% off doesn't apply to Wahoo trainers, at least not now. I seem to recall that it did apply on day 1. Maybe too many people buying Wahoo's.

I only feel a little bad then ;) I placed my order in the first hour after receiving it on day 1; apparently lucky that I did. I will pick mine up from REI after work.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I have not used purchased nor used anything more recent than a decade ago but this is what I am looking at. It looks promising, quiet, lower cost, and made nearby: https://www.staczero.com/hero
and a review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/stac-zero-trainer.html

I took the plunge: Stac Zero power meter model in the basement. I'll do my best to put up what I can in this thread. (Nah, better idea -- dedicated thread to Stac Zero.)

https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/stac-zero-trainer-experience.12302/

BJ686

Has anyone ever tried Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer? It looks interesting as it allows for the swaying motion.
https://www.rei.com/product/893036/kinetic-rock-and-roll-smart-bike-trainer

I have the Rock and Roll Smart Control Trainer. Really like it. I use to own a Wahoo Kickr, but sold it and bought the Rock and Roll. I loved the Wahoo Kickr, but started having knee pain, which I never got on the road. While there could be a variety of reasons for knee pain, I felt like it was due at least in part to the rigid/static movement on the Kickr which used the same muscles in the exact same position over and over. Once I started using the Rock and Roll, the pain disappeared and pedaling felt more natural due to the natural sway/bounce when using.

There are a few downsides, however. First, the Kurt Kinetic smart control trainers do not have ANT+, and only communicate with "closed" Blue Tooth Smart, which my understanding means that training apps have to coordinate with Kinetic for them to work. Zwift, Trainerroad, etc. all work with the Kinetic, so not an issue for me. DC Rainmaker has a good article on this if you want more info.

Second, I find the "direct drive" trainers much easier to deal with than the "wheel on" like the Kinetic. Dont have to calibrate every ride, etc.

But, overall for me, the movement of the Kinetic Rock and Roll outweighs any of these other issues.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Newly built S40 on my Kinetic Road Machine dumb trainer. Works like a charm once I got my 145mm skewer. Have plenty of experience w tire on trainers and never had a problem w tearing up tires. I ride Conti 4000s 25s that can be had for about $40 online so not a huge investment. Have a separate wheelset for my 35mm Challenge Gravel Grinder tires but don't use those on the trainer. Knobbies don't like trainers. Occasional Zwift session on iPad using wahoo dongle and lightning adaptor.

MariposaLand

Just FYI, Cycleops Magnus will not work with S40 because the distance between the clamps on the QR skewer is not wide enough. I tried it out last night and will return it to REI soon. Guess I will try Wahoo Kickr Snap next.

I have also tried a Elite Direto smart trainer before and returned that as well because it's a big pain to mount and unmount the S40 frequently.

Is there any other reason the Cyclops would not work for you other than the Skewer length? I have one and an S40. I was able to get it to clamp in and road it 5 miles yesterday. I’ll probably have to hack a correctly sized skewer. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. Thanks. Tim Z