Training with Indoor Cycling

kenhardwick

What Bike Should You Use?- Thoughts on This

The Indoor training article referred by Dan indicated the following...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Bike Should You Use?Use an old bike. Enormous pressures are generated on the bicycle when it doesn't move freely beneath you. The bike you use on the trainer will become wet with sweat and rusted; the headset, with the bike always "going" straight ahead, will get grooved. For these and many other good reasons, don't use an expensive bike on your stationary trainer. Any old or used bike will do; just make sure it is set up identically to your regular bike
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What do other Cruzbike riders think about this point ?

I'm currently using my brand new fairly expensive Silvio on a magnetic trainer. Now, I am thinking maybe I should get out my old Gold Rush recumbent to use with the indoor trainer. I bought it used about 3 years ago and have put on 12,000 or so miles on it. So, it does not have much value but still is a very comfortable bike to ride.
Also, doing this, would keep my Silvio readily available to ride on those winter days that are reasonablely warm enough to get out and ride in the afternoon. Plus, save on wear and tear on it that indoor riding might cause.

randyspann

Old bike on trainer

- I used to use my df on a trainer. I understand about getting sweat on the bike, handle bar and cross member. But on the Silvio nothing gets wet with sweat, except me, so why put up with an inferior bike?
Ken take that Gold Rush and sell it...for a Vendetta! (or even a softrider, for the wife!)

Only my opinion!

BobD

Ken,
One issue to take into

Ken,
One issue to take into account are the muscle groups used in training. I believe that the bike you ride on a trainer should be the same or very close to the bike you ride on the road.....to maximize the development of the same muscle groups.

At least....that is what I have heard.....

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I don't agree with the old

I don't agree with the old bike, different wheels, different tires, sweat shield philosophy. I believe you should train the way you ride/race/etc.

• If riding a bike on any trainer results in creating forces that damage the bike, then I would suggest there is something wrong with the trainer design and/or the bike. Also, how the bike is connected to the trainer may not be compatible - example using a fork stand to connect the rear end of a cruzbike to rollers while leaving the fork, front wheel, and handlebars still able to turn. In this case you are doing something out of the trainer design scope and it may or may not work and may result in damage to bike or trainer or both.

• You sweat on your bike when you ride it everywhere else besides the trainer. Even more than on the trainer unless you ride more on a trainer than you do outdoors. Normal bike maintenance (cleaning) should eliminate any concern here. You may want a water proof mat of some sort under the trainer to protect some floor surfaces that should not be exposed to prolonged and excessive moisture.

• For something to get grooved there has to be motion and abrasion. I can see what they are thinking but I'm extremely skeptical that the amount of use and the type of play that might occur in a properly assembled and tightened headset while on a trainer would create any kind of groove in anyone's lifetime.

• Others recommend using cheap tires or a different set of wheels with cheap tires for your trainer. I like and agree with DC Rainmaker's viewpoint in his response to the first question here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/07/weekly-mailbagjuly-17th-2010.html
-Eric

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
What Eric Said, And:

-The sweatproof mat you use ought to either be disposable or washable.

-If you use a fan to simulate the slipstreams' -wind- cooling effect, be aware of furnishings and flooring downwind... think washable and sweatproof.

-After your workout, wipe down both your bike and your trainer. With front-wheel drive, the trainer is in the line of fire: like, for example, from saliva -when your breathing gets fast and furious. I use furniture polish on a soft cotton rag.

-Check your stand, trainer or rollers every week, just like you check your bike. I don't know about you, but if my weak effort can loosen bolts over time, your efforts certainly can.

-Steve

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Trainer Review

And if you don't have a trainer and are looking, I highly recommend this review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/10/my-2012-trainer-recommendations-early.html

Really good overview of basic things to look for

If you read down through the Trainer Q&A section, Ray answers some questions similar to and one which is the same as the one I pointed out in the mailbag link I posted above.

I'm considering the Wahoo KICKR but this Kurt Kinetic plus inRide Bluetooth Smart Power Meter combo looks interesting too:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/kinetic-inride-bluetooth-smart-power-meter-accessory-in-depth-review.html

-Eric

mickjordan

inRide + smooth pedaling

I decided to splash out on a inRide add-on for my Kinetic after reading the article Eric posted the link to.

The Human Kinetics article makes the point about how one-legged training can improve your stroke. It is interesting that, after first deciding to sell my Silvio, I did about a month of just-trainer riding on the Silvio, which included single leg work every time. Then when I got back on the road, my control was dramatically improved. There must be a connection.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It makes sense that if one

It makes sense that if one side has developed to be more powerful than the other, or if one side is stronger on the pull and other side stronger on the push, then things might not smooth out as well. Perhaps this is a hidden reason why a small percent of people take longer to get comfy?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
More details about HARISON x2.

718EexZ1WVL._SL1500_.jpg
Looks like a decent boat anchor. How much you asking for them?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
One issue to take into account are the muscle groups used in training. I believe that the bike you ride on a trainer should be the same or very close to the bike you ride on the road.....to maximize the development of the same muscle groups.

At least....that is what I have heard.....
I agree that you need to train on what you are mostly going to ride on the road. At least have something that is similar in seat angle and BB height.

CruzLike

Guru
Hi Lucy
This is interesting. I was looking for a trainer. Will I be able to use the seat that is on my bike on this trainer?

You seem pretty passionate about the trainers that you have mentioned. Where do I drop your name to receive the 10% discount?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You need to fit the seat in a downward tilted position. Then tilt the whole thing back, so the front legs are higher than the back.

CruzLike

Guru
Hi Lucy
Thanks for securing the 10% discount. You might be a pretty good sales person. A good salesperson does what ever the customer wants.

Earlier I asked about using my seat. This is a red herring to people that ride Cruzbikes. This seat is very common on Cruzbikes. They look like this.V20.PNG

This seat will not work on your trainer.

Many people on this site, have defected from riding a conventional bike in favor of these. You may have more success on another bike site.

I wish you luck. I think the others on this site prefer to find there own trainers instead of a popup ad on there favorite website.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You guys; I leave you unattended for a few months and you go and torture a defenseless spammer like that.
It's good to see that you have surfaced again to be a fresh outside air breathing human, riding a fantastic recumbent!!!
I hope you are riding OUTSIDE, and not indoors in your cave, as the snow has already started falling!