Tri shorts vs. “Regular” vs. Bib vs. Recumbent specific

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Do Tri shorts work well on lower seat angle Cruzbikes: V20, S30, S40, Q set to low angle?

I am thinking the minimal padding might work well and the quick drying would also but I don’t have experience to lean on. I have one pair of recumbent racing shorts from reverse gear (may they Ride On until all remaining stock has improved the lives of recumbent riders) which are awesome but there are not many options out there.

I have the possibility of purchasing ATP kit (I race with ATP and with Cruzbike) and am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy bib shorts, shorts, or skip the ATP ones because they won’t be worth it for riding the Cruzbike. (I do ride the mountain bike in the winter with studded tires and wear padded shorts for that but they are under either rain gear or snow gear so I don’t want to bother with premium team gear for that. )

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I skip "anything" with padding that will soak up my sweat and make my rear end raw for having to sit in it. :rolleyes:

Definitely avoid padded shorts.
Bendit cycling shorts are comfortable, stretchy, breathable. I don’t like their bibs as much.
Boure’s stuff feels more like standard cyclist gear, available with or without padding. I like both their shorts and bibs.
But I find myself going more often with leggings from UnderArmour, Nike, & others so I don’t need sunscreen. (Red-head problems.)
I tried tri-shorts from DeSoto. The padding is still too much, but I love their tops. I have several long sleeved Skin Coolers.

Edit: I just noticed Maria’s testimony on the Bendit link.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
no padding. nike and under armor compression shorts and a few amazon found workout shorts with pockets.

Beano

Swimming shorts are good, Speedo Jammers are really comfortable, tight fit and minimal chaffing.

Gary Hudson

I've tried rowing shorts and several of the recumbent company shorts, but my favorite short for the past several years is one I found from a company called cw-x. It has compression bands that are supposed to work like kinesiology tape. I have no idea it that works but they do seem to offer some support and they are pretty durable. I buy when I find them on sale.

I've tried rowing shorts and several of the recumbent company shorts, but my favorite short for the past several years is one I found from a company called cw-x. It has compression bands that are supposed to work like kinesiology tape. I have no idea it that works but they do seem to offer some support and they are pretty durable. I buy when I find them on sale.
OK, I’ll try a pair.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Mathew, I too go with leggings from Under Armor and a few other small companies. Like others have written, don't need any padding. For a while I was using a pair of long black swim trunks over the top of the leggings, but stopped for no real reason a couple of months ago.

Gary, I see those sometimes also when searching for mine. They look very well made, but yeah... gotta buy them on sale.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
my preference is for ones that have zipper pockets on the hipside for the phone. i want to have the phone on my person rather than in my bag, so that if i get wrecked and i cant move far, i can get my phone. a few years back when i wrecked my tica, one of the bounces i actually landed on the phone. it bent the frame but survived for me to call my house. that side of my body did not leave any skin on the road. the other side of course.....well.... it only ground down to the bone in one place.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
For the ladies--I've been pleased with the Terry Metro Lite short. The padded liner is detachable. Longer inseam, hits a couple of inches above the knee. Not a compression short, but not a baggy MTB short either (they call it a "city" short). The leg openings don't flap in the breeze on fast downhills. Zipper pocket on one leg, cargo pocket on the other. They also make a "relaxed" fit that's looser through the thigh. I had to order a size smaller than usual, because taking the liner out makes the waist looser.

Reactions: 3bs

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Aerotech Pro shorts are reasonably priced and minimally padded. Very comfy and great value. They also have nice unpadded shorts

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Definitely avoid padded shorts.
Bendit cycling shorts are comfortable, stretchy, breathable. I don’t like their bibs as much.
Boure’s stuff feels more like standard cyclist gear, available with or without padding. I like both their shorts and bibs.
But I find myself going more often with leggings from UnderArmour, Nike, & others so I don’t need sunscreen. (Red-head problems.)
I tried tri-shorts from DeSoto. The padding is still too much, but I love their tops. I have several long sleeved Skin Coolers.

Edit: I just noticed Maria’s testimony on the Bendit link.

Have tried the Bendit shorts but found the leg openings to be oddly sized. Tomato tomoto

Rich

I like the pockets in the Bendit shorts but I do not like the velcro leg closures. The rough side of the velcro always is rubbing on my knees.
At the first NC retreat one of the riders was touting ElevenPine shorts. I now have three pair of them and like them quite a bit. Not inexpensive, but very comfortable.
The side panels have a zipper that converts the shorts from form fitting to a more relaxed fit for sitting in the brewery after the ride. :emoji_beer:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Kmart Lycra sport short. No padding at all. Just Lycra.

Remove tag turn inside out so seam on longer distances does not rub. Cheap long lasting warm enough. Light and form fitting.

But immodest.

people know but don’t know where to look.

well hello pleased to meet you.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Aero Tech Designs makes an excellent 8 panel short with leg grips. I’ve owned several pairs and will buy more as needed

I’ve found the aero tech to be the best for me. Their Pro Padded shorts have very thin padding, good compression and a good leg gripper. Excellent price. Have tried a bunch of bent specifics and tossed them all out. Too wimpy in material and no thigh compression. As for bibs - always much preferred bibs in my DF days but never found a brand w long enough straps. Always had to have someone sew in about 6” extra on the straps. Finally threw in the towel.

Lately have stumbled onto Neo Pro from Downunder (is that 2 words or one? And lower case D or upper?) excellent jerseys at a great price. Have not tried their shorts.

jond

Zen MBB Master
The things a lad can learn on this forum . . . Seems I’m almost bilingual today!

plus one on the neo pro. Especially the flamingo immortal jersey. Bright and liberating the pink. I previously subscribed to assos but on bent went Kmart. Don’t need any padding as Larry says.

all my jerseys are mostly fluorescent yellow.