Truck Bed Rack Options

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star (short bed) pickup and I was wondering if anyone with a pickup has found and used a Truck Bed Rack with the V20 and/or S40?

TIA

Last edited:

Tuloose

Guru
I use a Thule rack in the back of my F150 with a 6 ft bed.
It's kinda spendy at $250 but gets the job done.
I take out the rear wheel of the CB, placing the dropouts in the lockable QR of the rack.
To keep the front wheel from flopping about I secure it to the frame of the bike with a velcro strap of a length of bike tube.

My truck bed liner has notches for 2x4's so I took a 2x4 cut to length and bolted fork mount brackets to it and use that for my road bike, mountain bike, Baron and remove the rear wheel on the V20 and mount it backwards. has worked great for 10 years. The Baron is at an angle so I can close the tail gate but the other bikes fit fine straight.

something like this rigged up for your truck bed.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353830875749?hash=item5261f6b265:g:MzAAAOSwaxphyTaB

Attachments

• 429763_10200945770989269_1194604715_n.jpg
    429763_10200945770989269_1194604715_n.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I use a Thule rack in the back of my F150 with a 6 ft bed.
It's kinda spendy at $250 but gets the job done.
I take out the rear wheel of the CB, placing the dropouts in the lockable QR of the rack.
To keep the front wheel from flopping about I secure it to the frame of the bike with a velcro strap of a length of bike tube.
Thanks so much for the reply. I settled on a
Saris Traps Triple Track Bike Rack for Trucks and added a QR mount and a Tru Axle mount for my V20 and S40 respectively. It's not a permanent attachment to the bed but could be if I wanted to bolt it to the bed.

Update: didn't particularly like the Saris Traps Triple Track Bike Rack for Trucks so I sent it back.

Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
My truck bed liner has notches for 2x4's so I took a 2x4 cut to length and bolted fork mount brackets to it and use that for my road bike, mountain bike, Baron and remove the rear wheel on the V20 and mount it backwards. has worked great for 10 years. The Baron is at an angle so I can close the tail gate but the other bikes fit fine straight.

something like this rigged up for your truck bed.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353830875749?hash=item5261f6b265:g:MzAAAOSwaxphyTaB
I'll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks...

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
@ReklinedRider has his pickup bed set up to carry his V20. I've also seen it carry a Sofrider, a Silvio 1.5, and an upright bike at various times.
Unfortunately, the company that made the racks I use has gone out of business. RecRac. Once the ones i have wear out, it will be hard to replace them, and a shame it is, because they work superbly for both recumbents and diamond frame bikes.

There's a video on YouTube for anyone handy enough to copy the idea and make their own:
just search in YouTube for RecRac bike holder and it'll come up.

Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Update: I went with the Thule Insta-Gater Pro Truck Bed Bike Rack and it seems to work fine. Nice thing about it is that once removed, it can double as a bike stand. But it is over-priced.