Tubulars - Who ride them?

Had my first outing with a tubular wheelset (Ambrosio Nemesis with Dura Ace 7900 hubs, Continental Gatorskin tubs).

I really like the ride. While the wheels aren't very aero (lots of spokes), the ride is very comfortable (even at 120psi).

I am not venturing very far at the moment. I am scare that I will be stranded if I have a puncture.

If you are riding tubs regularly, I'll like to know how you deal with puncture out in the field.

Cheers

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Vittoria PitStop and a Cell phone

Don't ride them any more; but in my DF days I did. If you ride solo for distance you carry Vittoria PitStop; on a DF in your jersy back pocket; on a Vendetta you just put it in your bag or the pocket on the back of the headrest; the can isn't small but it's not big.

http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126184034?gclid=CJz-qaCFosACFbFDMgodrVQAjw

?seals and inflates; if doesn't seal on the first try just let it sit 5 minutes and then pump up by hand. I've never had that fail unless the tire was gashed open.

If that doesn't work; you call on your cell phone.

Tubeless has been supplanting tublar for training because you can fix it with just a tube.

Thanks Ratz. I did search

Thanks Ratz. I did search online and seem to be a good way of repairing a tub puncture. Hopefully the LBS has some on stock.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
So anyway, Goathead Season is

So anyway, Goathead Season is just around the corner here in Northern California and I've been looking into avoiding flats on the front tire at almost any cost on my Vendetta.

I ended up purchasing a set of Tufo 700X23 C Elite Ride 25 Tubular-Clincher Tires, they are pretty pricey, but once you exclude the tube, not much more than a set of highend supples. They are 25mm wide not 23. They are not as light as I would like, at 355g, but hey no tube is needed. The recommended pressure is rated from 90-140 psi. I run the pressure according to the road surface I will be ridding on each ride. They are not bad on rough chipseal at 80-90lbs. On the smooth bike trails I up the pressure to about 110-120 psi. I've read you can even ride these flat without them coming off the bead. I did fill them with a little sealant, and carry a small bottle of Schwalbe Doc Blue and C02 charger.

So far I like them. If I get through next month which is Goathead Season without a flat, I will like them even more.

Tufo.jpg height:616px; width:780px

mickmull

I ride on Challenge 'open

I ride on Challenge 'open tubulars' as they call clinchers. Great tyres, soft supple and fast. Used to ride on tubs and these are the next big thing. The round section (I think) helps cornering - no noticible transition just smooth all the way over.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Open Tubular

Open tubular is just a clincher tire that requires a tube; but the carcass is usually handmade or of the same high quality TPI as a tublar. Instead of a sew-in they add a bead so you can mount them with a tube. They are suppose to be as supple and ride like a true tublar. In practice most people will tell you they ride about the same as as extruded high end tire like an ultremo or victorra corsa, and other such ultra high end tires. So basically it's marketing hype to separate one high end tire from another. That said; if it's as good as an Ultremo or Corsa; then it's a very fine tire.

mickmull

Yep - put a latex tube in

Yep - put a latex tube in them and you'll get a ride similar to a tub. For me its the round section and soft carcass that gives a super ride. Like Ratz says avoid the marketing hype - but look for manufacturers like Vittoria and Challenge who make tubs. Scroll down here and you'll see Challenge 'Parigi Roubaix' 27mm tyres on my flying gate(ok its upright but not a DF!).

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Okay, thanks guys. Then not

Okay, thanks guys. Then not like the Tufo, which is a tubular but has the clincher bead.

I imagine they have a ride something like Compass Cycles ultra supples?

I have been riding tubeless for a couple of years now, and I wouldn't go back. My current bike is a Velokraft VK2, and have been using a Hutchinson Sector 28 on the back. I pump it up to roughly 80 - 85 PSI, and I'm not a light guy at 215 lbs.

The ride is very comfortable, and I can't tell that it has slowed me down any either. Being that you will have the benefit of having 2 full size 700C tires, I can only imagine that it would be even more comfortable for you on the Vendetta, where I have a 406 front wheel, and don't have the option of running tubeless up front.

currystomper

How to change a tub (tubular) on the road

Hi Folks

The question at the start of this thread doesn't seem to have been answered so here are my thoughts

I don't ride tub's myself however my brother in law used tubs almost exclusively on his road bikes. So in his memory (he was killed whilst out riding just over a year ago) here is his old school wisdom:

Tub's should be glued to the rim, you can use tub rim tape or tub glue. He would, like his father, always use glue.

When you ride take a spare folding tub - if you get a bad puncture, deflate the tub and remove it from the rim, some glue will remain on the rim, fit the spare tub and blow it up to standard pressure - the remaining glue on the rim and the pressure will hold it in place. When back at base refit with fresh glue. This, with practice, can be done with astonishing speed when using a CO2 inflator.

Tub have different rims to clinchers. Tufo 700X23 C Elite Ride tires are tubulars for clinchers rims. A good way to try out tubs before buying the special rims (so probably new wheels) needed for tubs.

May the wind be always be on your back Alistair.....

Cheers

CS

Thanks CS.
I am doing exactly

Thanks CS.

I am doing exactly what you have suggested. Spare Tufo tub incase the stop leak filler failed to seal the puncture.

I am enjoying tubs so far. Even at 120 - 140 psi, the ride quality isn't too harsh.