Two Silvios endure a 273 mile bike tour of Texas Hill Cntry

Two Silvios endure a 273 mile bike tour of Texas Hill Country. I do regret running a 12-23 rear cassette, the 23 is just not enough for the steep 12-15 degree hills found in central Texas. I plan to get at least a 27 if not a 30 or 34 for my next tour, it will make it alot easier on my knees.

http://www.brianlewis.net/2008_TexasHillCountry/

Rick Harker

How ya goin' there Brian,

Seeing your post just popped a few quick questions to mind.

From memory you had a triple chain ring thinking that would be enough to get you up mostly any hill. This leads me to wonder if a slightly smaller set of chain rings may be an option as I find my 11-32 on my Sofrider just a little wide between certain gears. I am considering a cassette set with a range of 12-27 and putting on a granny gear for the steeper hills.

Your Bike still looks great and how was the comfort factor during the ride?

Great photos.

The hills! Must have been great going down them though...

Regards,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Great pics, Brian, thanks for sharing! I've been wondering where you were hiding yourself.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Brian you have a primo place to ride and kayak. Nice report.Im spending my retirement time kayak fishing and bike riding. If gas was cheaper I would take a trip out there. Jack

I found out my donor was a 12-23, I have strong legs though and was able to endure, but a 12-27 would have been much better, I am changing the cassette soon, so I'll have a 30 granny up front and a 12-27 in the rear.

Downhill was definitely a blast, my downhill speed was quicker than the uprights I'm guessing because I'm able to cut thru the air better in the recumbent setting. Comfort was awesome, doing 60+ mile days back to back with nothing hurting was the reason I bought the Silvio in the first place.

The kayak is a 2 person kayak, seat can slide forward if two adults. I just borrowed it from my friend Elias so I have no clue as to the make/model, its a flat bottom and is alot of work to keep it going straight especially if the wind is blowing. Looks like I have another Kayak trip at the start of June, on the Red River, a few of the other paddlers have offered to lend me one of their 14-16ft single person kayaks that will be faster and track better.