Underseat location for Radical Solo Racer Wide Bag: an easy installation

BobD

I decided to place the Radical Bag under the seat pan. The installation was rather easy, and easy to remove if desired.

Here are a few pics:

1. I removed the seat pad. Then placed double-sided tape on the velcro. Then placed the bag mesh on the seat. Next, placed velcro over the mesh in line with the original velcro strip.

DSC_0805.jpg width: 298px;

2. The front strap goes through a small opening between the seat pan and frame, and can be cinched on one side.

DSC_0809.jpg width: 134px;

3. The rear tabs on the bag cinch nicely with a plastic zip tie.

DSC_0810.jpg width: 298px;

4. The front cinches nicely as well with a plastic zip tie. This completes the 3-point grip that keeps the bag close to the frame and away from the wheels.

DSC_0812.jpg

5. Saddlebags.....out of the way with clearance....haven't yet given a test ride...but looks OK so far.

DSC_0813.jpg width: 275px; height: 185px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Bob,
I like this. Have you

Bob,

I like this. Have you ridden it loaded yet?

The one thought that comes to mind is rain and wet and how well I've seen the Quest's seat pan acts as a fender/mudguard. Do the Radical's come offer liners or covers for wet?

-Eric

BobD

Thanks Eric.....
Due to the

Thanks Eric.....

Due to the snow/ice, I haven't had the chance to ride anywhere as much as I would've hoped to by now.
So, no long rides loaded with stuff yet.

I don't recall waterproof bag covers Eric....might want to check their site: https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en

I noticed that they do have waterproof bags for their panniers. Perhaps contacting them might reveal an application for these bags?
I believe that the way I have set up the bags under the seat, does offer one an opportunity to customize a wateproof cover. Let us know if you create one.

Radical

Feedback is welcome

Hello Bob and Eric,

Hopefully no problem to join in on the conversation...

We received a few mails on this post and also a pic from Calhoun showing this setup. See below...

If you can provide any helpfull feedback/ideas then we are very willing to see what we can do.

A Cruzbike specific version to fit underseat could be made also to eliminate the use of a tie-rip.

If anyone reeding this is going to SPEZI Germersheim this year (with his/her bike) then please let me know so we could meet to measure and discuss.

Peter B from Radical Design.

alt="Solo Racer on Cruzbike under the seat"
solo-racer-cruzbike-silvio-1(1).JPG height: 536px;

thebean

Peter,
Thanks for responding

Peter,

Thanks for responding to my email and I am glad you jumped in on the forum! It would be nice to see a solution from your company in regars to a bag that would hook on top of the seat as well. I like putting a bag ther to hold my water bladder and other essentials.

pjotr320

The seat angle of the Silvio

The seat angle of the Silvio 2.0 is similar to that of the 1st Vendetta. That carries a pair of medium Radical Bananas nicely. The 3rd and smallest strap hangs over the headrest bars. The top of the seat prevents it from sliding down. I tested it over 200km when I visited the World Championship in Germany.

thebean

Yes, Radical Bags indicated

Yes, Radical Bags indicated to me today via email that he Banana bags should work! I wish they could come up with something that would hang off the headrest frame like a tail box. Something similar to what Cycle Different sells in Colorado.

T.

Banana

I went for the small banana bags for my Silvio. It is 1.5 so no head rest.
i must say that I am not overjoyed.
Main issue that they don't stay up but tend to glide down the seat.
tested both over and under cushion.
there are three suspension belts and the top one does not sit well on top of the seat.
you may have better results with a head rest mounted.
bags are slightly small for my use since I wanted them for commuting to work occasionally.
barely carry clothes and shoes in one and a small! laptop and paper stuff in the other on top of some tools and spares.
also wanted something that's easy to remove for pleasure rides and when leaving the bike in public unattended.

i am not sure that I would repeat the purchase, but I have not found something better and am disinclined to home made modifications (lacking in skills, tools and patience;)

BentBierz

Curious if there is an update

Curious if there is an update on this thread (either from those that have this set-up or from Peter B)? I am putting together my Christmas list and am very interested in the Solo Racer set-up but would like to hear some first hand experience before going down this road.

For hydration I am leaning towards the Shower Pass elEau 42.