Understanding handlebars

buyagain

The handle bar stem on the sample at the "Cruzbike" site has a handlebar stem almost identical to mine. Most other examples of finished conversions that I see are, however, not this configuration. Rather most stems I see are the kind that Mark D, Doug and others and they're bolted both to the extended steering tube and handlebar stem.
This is the "Cruzbike" donor example:
http://www.cruzbike.com/content/choosing-y-frame-bike-converting-cruzbike-recumbent

See Doug's example below;

The "Cruzbike" donor example indicates mine will work but it only mentions a recommended stem diameter of 22 mm which mine is. So here is question #1.
can I use my existing stem (I'd rather) or should I buy one that bolts to both tube and handlebar as Doug's shows here. I presume that if I use my original I stem then I wont be able to adjust in the future.

Question # 2. Exactly how does this old quill configuration work. the bike is the old version ( I think) steering tube and has the 7/8th in Inside diameter. It appears that somehow I need an additional quill. I just don't understand.

Thanks in advance.

Bob C

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Do you have your kit yet? It comes with instructions but yes you will need a threaded to threadledss adapter and an new stem.The adapter comes in 1 in. or 1 1/8 in depending on what size fork you have.The . Any 1/8 in stem will work. Just look under stems to find them. Jack

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bob,

To adapt the stem tube to a bike with a threaded 1" headset, you'll need one of these:

NS-TSA-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=73&item=PFTCV

and you'll need a threadless stem like you see in the photos.

http://www.ebikestop.com/dimension_bmx_stem_1_18_x_50mm_threadless_black-SM9391.php (a little chunky but the length and price are right)

Alternately I've used one of these:

http://www.shoprans.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BPHB0049

with one of these:

http://www.shoprans.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BSCP0130A

Dimension-Bars.jpg

Early on the kit was offered with a 2-parts quill-type 22.2mm stem assembly. It was very heavy and we didn't sell enough to warrant continued production, and the design isn't compatible with the lighter aluminum kit we sell now.

Best,

Doug

buyagain

To Defjack;
Thanks for the prompt response. Yes My kit came in. Ill be dirrecting my questions to both you and Doug in the following commentary. Also, Your 1/8th" stem statement looks like a typo???

Rule # 1 is to gather all parts before putting anything together.
However, because of many optional handlebar configurations, some assembly experience is required to have knowledge to decide which handlebar option seems most plausible . Have I confused anyone yet?
So there now, I'll start by violating rule #1. LOL

If I choose the last configuration from Doug's last post then I'd like to make a list of what I need to get at the LBS or on the net. ( It looks the most solid to me.)

Question #1 Doug, If I tell you that my inside diameter of the "frame steering tube" is 7/8th " (22.2 MM) and that the "extended steering tube" (included in the conversion kit) measures 1 and 1/8th" inside diameter at it's base, Is that enough info for you to tell me precisely which "thread to thread-less" adapter that I would need?
There are 3 adapters listed at your posted site.
Also the stem will have to fit My exactly 1" in diameter handlebars. I just hope this is enough information.

Regards

bob c

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bob,

Actually that's just the info we need. Usually takes 2 or 3 e-mails to get it all... :D

You need the second one on the list, the one selling for $9.95. I checked several sites and that was the best price I could find. Most local bike shops also carry these; if you're having a bike shop help you it might sweeten the pot for them if you buy it from them. They also probably also have a suitable stem.

Using the RANS parts may require you to shorten the kit's stem tube a little bit. The RANS parts work well, but require a little comfort with a tubing cutter or hack saw.

I'm also willing to contact your bike shop directly if you think it will help.

Keep those questions coming.

Best,

Doug

buyagain

That all makes sense to me, Doug, so first thing tomorrow morning I'm down to my LBS with pictures and everything. Sweeten the pot makes a lot of sense too. I also bought my wife's beach bike there a week ago. How sweet is that. LOL
Home Depot has a great tube cutter and you gotta know Hacksaws are my kind of tool LOL
PS I have the delta table version 1" wide belt sander with the 9" side-disk sander.

I've opened my chain with a chain breaker only a couple of times in my lifetime and that was over 30 years ago. What I hope that illustrates is that I'm not very experience in all this but I have one hell of a memory and I still have that chain breaker in my tool box. Also I think with a little patience I can have a real aptitude for this kind of stuff. It's just been a long long time ago.

Lastly, its very comforting to know you'd make the call for me if I needed it. Thank you very much and I'd like to reserve that privilege if possible.
Regards

Bob C

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I like cruiser bars. They just feel right for me and they are cheap. Check if there is a bike co-op in your area as they have a lot of cheap used parts. Jack