Upgrading v20 questions.

jond

Zen MBB Master
2016 core edition v20 vendetta full ultegra mechanical groupset. Then came a cobb short crankset.

Now it’s time for disc brakes and 50 mm yoleo carbon disc compatible rims no brake track lol.

. Trp spyre sl calipers so I can keep my mech ultegra brifters.

Question Will a 160 mm 6 bolt rotor fit on the rear.? Please say yes..............

I ordered 160 mm front and back. I might need to order a 140 mm quickly though still waiting on wheels five weeks and counting..........

Know it won’t on V2.2.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
2016 core edition v20 vendetta full ultegra mechanical groupset. Then came a cobb short crankset.

Now it’s time for disc brakes and 50 mm yoleo carbon disc compatible rims no brake track lol.

. Trp spyre sl calipers so I can keep my mech ultegra brifters.

Question Will a 160 mm 6 bolt rotor fit on the rear.? Please say yes..............

I ordered 160 mm front and back. I might need to order a 140 mm quickly though still waiting on wheels five weeks and counting..........

Know it won’t on V2.2.

Order the 140mm quickly......

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Now it’s time for disc brakes
Splash of cash :emoji_droplet::emoji_droplet::emoji_droplet:

I've been thinking the same but because it's so dry and I don't use the brakes so much I haven't gone ahead with it. Let us know how it goes.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Splash of cash :emoji_droplet::emoji_droplet::emoji_droplet:

I've been thinking the same but because it's so dry and I don't use the brakes so much I haven't gone ahead with it. Let us know how it goes.

Yes I will let you know.

The ultegra calipers 6800 are perfectly fine on aluminium training wheels.

But I wanted carbon rims to try as a training wheel set and also to fit 28 mm tyres for a bit more comfort. The ultegra calipers barely clear 28 mm tyres. So wide carbon here I come.

Set of enve 6:7 have lasted since 2013 though I don’t use them a lot given the braking performance.

Don1

Guru
really? 28mm tyres are fine on me road bike. but i support you in the upgrade, i'd love a set of yoelos. you getting the sat?

jond

Zen MBB Master
really? 28mm tyres are fine on me road bike. but i support you in the upgrade, i'd love a set of yoelos. you getting the sat?

Yeah 28 mm tyres on my rims barely clear 6800 caliper. 32 spoke al rim 2015 vintage
Equals a bulge in all the wrong places.

So cunning plan for new training wheels developed. Of course my powertap hub on the training wheel goes to the catrike 700.

New power meter dreams started. Thinking pedals likely powertap.

Yes getting the sat ordered on 13/09/18 ud matt ghost 50 mm sat clincher 27 mm width with basic novatec 792/791 hubs And 24 f 24 r pillar spokes. $ 997 Australian.
Still waiting.......patiently.......almost.

Seems like only good reviews primarily and compared to $ 3500 in 2013 for enve 6:7 with g3 c powertap hub the yoleo clincher disc brake wheels are seemingly a bargain still.

Time to pick up a 140 mm six bolt rotor and I S mount.

I’ve been blowing the good will budget lately. I recently purchased a second hand challenge hurricane........so lots of ordering upgrading going on.

I have a patient wonderful wife.

God bless her cotton socks.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yeah 28 mm tyres on my rims barely clear 6800 caliper. 32 spoke al rim 2015 vintage
Equals a bulge in all the wrong places.

So cunning plan for new training wheels developed. Of course my powertap hub on the training wheel goes to the catrike 700.

New power meter dreams started. Thinking pedals likely powertap.

Yes getting the sat ordered on 13/09/18 ud matt ghost 50 mm sat clincher 27 mm width with basic novatec 792/791 hubs And 24 f 24 r pillar spokes. $ 997 Australian.
Still waiting.......patiently.......almost.

Seems like only good reviews primarily and compared to $ 3500 in 2013 for enve 6:7 with g3 c powertap hub the yoleo clincher disc brake wheels are seemingly a bargain still.

Time to pick up a 140 mm six bolt rotor and I S mount.

I’ve been blowing the good will budget lately. I recently purchased a second hand challenge hurricane........so lots of ordering upgrading going on.

I have a patient wonderful wife.

God bless her cotton socks.
Did you win the X Lotto???
Is the Hurricane a dual 26" with dual suspension?

How does it climb compared to your Vendetta?
What is the comfort like on your NSW OUTBACK style pot holed roads?

The Powertap pedals ($1200) did not get a good write up by DCrainmaker, as reading 20 to 30 watts low, and you NEED every watt you can get!!!
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/powertap-p1-pedals-review.html

Where the Quarq DZero crank spider ($800) got rave reviews from DCrainmaker and Bikeradar
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/04/quarq-dzero-power-meter-in-depth-review.html
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/n...-masses-with-the-new-dzero-power-meter-48011/

If I could go BACK to a double crank, then this is what I would use.
In the meantime, I am waiting until Watteam Powerbeat is suitable for a 153 mm FSA Gossamer Mega Expo with its solid U shaped cranks! So I can get right and Left power readings.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
adapter brackets are almost worth getting at your LBS in person because they can be rather confusing based on the descriptions online. I'm pretty sure I'm using a bracket marker 180mm on the front with my 160mm rotor o_O

jond

Zen MBB Master
adapter brackets are almost worth getting at your LBS in person because they can be rather confusing based on the descriptions online. I'm pretty sure I'm using a bracket marker 180mm on the front with my 160mm rotor o_O

Yes that’s what I will do we have one pretty decent bike shop in Newcastle two wheeled industries. the other thirty are not much chop... I have the IS 160 mounts front rear and from memory I think they do cover two sizes. Probably 180 mm. Lol

Check when I get home thanks rojo.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Did you win the X Lotto???
Is the Hurricane a dual 26" with dual suspension?

How does it climb compared to your Vendetta?
What is the comfort like on your NSW OUTBACK style pot holed roads?

The Powertap pedals ($1200) did not get a good write up by DCrainmaker, as reading 20 to 30 watts low, and you NEED every watt you can get!!!
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/powertap-p1-pedals-review.html

Where the Quarq DZero crank spider ($800) got rave reviews from DCrainmaker and Bikeradar
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/04/quarq-dzero-power-meter-in-depth-review.html
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/n...-masses-with-the-new-dzero-power-meter-48011/

If I could go BACK to a double crank, then this is what I would use.
In the meantime, I am waiting until Watteam Powerbeat is suitable for a 153 mm FSA Gossamer Mega Expo with its solid U shaped cranks! So I can get right and Left power readings.

Dear David I see you are in fine fine form lol. I lost my tea guffawing.

Hurricane 500 klm in

The hurricane is rear suspension only and above seat steering. Hamster style though prayer on the bike now seems even more natural.lol

Had been looking for a Hp Velotechnik grasshopper or Streetmachine for training local roads full of potholes and possibly some gravel.

New they are stratospheric beyond budget. So second hand. Along came the challenge courtesy of my mate ken whom did not take to it.

The 2005 hurricane is heavy. 15 kg plus. It is my first and most likely last rear wheel drive recumbent bike. Don’t like long chains. Though I’ve sorted the greasy inner right thigh with waxed chain and a guard. Removed both rear and mid racks fitted brain box.

I rode off straight away . I like the suspension. It’s running Shimano XT hubs sram xo x9 gearing a 64t main and a 40t I think. Marathon 1.5” tyres. Rudimentary dnc coil shock. Don’t mind the 406 wheels. It’s fast enough averaging around a twisty course 7 klm / hr slower than vendetta. It’s about comfort. And it is very comfortable and solid. Made a Ventisit pad for it....... mixed results.

I’m trying to source uss but having no joy.........

Shame challenge disappeared would of thought Dutch bike sales a sure thing.......

Conclusion well built solid forever bike do anything.

Vendetta 40,000 klm plus in

The vendetta is harder to ride but more rewarding and climbs faster.

Of course.

Ridden back to back I nearly fell off the vendetta. So different technique requires adaptation and time.

the vendetta is stretched out comfort and new wheels and bigger tyres aiding the comfort will see the hurricane hanging on the rack waiting for gravel.

Seriously contemplated s40 but got a great deal on sampling the hurricane.

Speed cannot be beat. Hands down the vendetta wins any arguments

Low speed stability is possibly slightly better on the hurricane.

Conclusion vendetta is tough speedy thoroughbred. But also capable of touring too.

V20 is easier to ride than V2 but V2 looks better to me with those big pipes and all.

Re power and pedals.

Dear David slim I’ve got two powertap 700 c hubs but would like pedals for portability between bikes and trikes .

Maybe Garmin pedals.......expensive though.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear David I see you are in fine fine form lol. I lost my tea guffawing.

Hurricane 500 klm in

The hurricane is rear suspension only and above seat steering. Hamster style though prayer on the bike now seems even more natural.lol

Had been looking for a Hp Velotechnik grasshopper or Streetmachine for training local roads full of potholes and possibly some gravel.

New they are stratospheric beyond budget. So second hand. Along came the challenge courtesy of my mate ken whom did not take to it.

The 2005 hurricane is heavy. 15 kg plus. It is my first and most likely last rear wheel drive recumbent bike. Don’t like long chains. Though I’ve sorted the greasy inner right thigh with waxed chain and a guard. Removed both rear and mid racks fitted brain box.

I rode off straight away . I like the suspension. It’s running Shimano XT hubs sram xo x9 gearing a 64t main and a 40t I think. Marathon 1.5” tyres. Rudimentary dnc coil shock. Don’t mind the 406 wheels. It’s fast enough averaging around a twisty course 7 klm / hr slower than vendetta. It’s about comfort. And it is very comfortable and solid. Made a Ventisit pad for it....... mixed results.

I’m trying to source uss but having no joy.........

Shame challenge disappeared would of thought Dutch bike sales a sure thing.......

Conclusion well built solid forever bike do anything.

Vendetta 40,000 klm plus in

The vendetta is harder to ride but more rewarding and climbs faster.

Of course.

Ridden back to back I nearly fell off the vendetta. So different technique requires adaptation and time.

the vendetta is stretched out comfort and new wheels and bigger tyres aiding the comfort will see the hurricane hanging on the rack waiting for gravel.

Seriously contemplated s40 but got a great deal on sampling the hurricane.

Speed cannot be beat. Hands down the vendetta wins any arguments

Low speed stability is possibly slightly better on the hurricane.

Conclusion vendetta is tough speedy thoroughbred. But also capable of touring too.

V20 is easier to ride than V2 but V2 looks better to me with those big pipes and all.

Re power and pedals.

Dear David slim I’ve got two powertap 700 c hubs but would like pedals for portability between bikes and trikes .

Maybe Garmin pedals.......expensive though.
I don't understand why you think I am in fine form??!!

Can you fit wider tyres, to the Vendetta, and run at lower pressures, and if Tubeless then even lower pressure without the risk of pinch flats!!!!

If you weigh 90 kgs, or has it gone up??? and the Vendetta weighs 15 Kgs with water bottles/bags, and with a 50% F/R wheel load, at 53 Kg per wheel, then the recommended tyre pressures are: __ __Bike model V20 _ V20 _S40 _S40 _S40 _ 650B S40
Tyre width 28 mm 30 mm 32 mm 35 mm 38 mm 42 mm

80 kg rider 76 psi 69 psi 61 psi 52 psi 45 psi 38 psi
90 Kg Rider 86 psi 76 psi 68 psi 58 psi 50 psi 42 psi
100 Kg rider 95 psi 84 psi 76 psi 65 psi 56 psi 47 psi
110 Kg rider 104 psi 92 psi 82 psi 70 psi 62 psi 52 psi

http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

A rear air shock like a Manitou Radium R 165 mm fully extended, 38 mm movement, made a HUGE difference to my Softrider coil spring rear suspension!

Can you fit wider tyres to the hurricane, and Marathon Racer HS429 (6 speed rating), compared to Marathon HS420 4 speed rating?
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_racer_429

At $950 AU from 99 bikes, for TWO bikes, a Watteam Powerbeat dual sided G3 2X2 could be an answer, with 4 strain gauges and mounts, and 2 wireless/battery units!

But ONLY if you can follow INSTRUCTIONS to install them on cranks, that have a crank flat top surface at least 6.7 mm wide, as this is the width of the strain gauge module.

AND they work with Q rings and give direct L+R power balance!

The G3s have two wireless and rechargeable battery units than unclicks from one bike and installs on a second in 30 seconds, for most people!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/hands-on-watteams-new-gen3-powerbeat-power-meter.html

After finding the strain gauge width today, in the manual, I checked my FSA cranks for the flat width of the crank top, only to find that it is 0 mm, when using a light source behind a steel ruler laid across the crank!!!!

BOO HOOO!!!!!

Now the only power meter, to give me R/L pedal balance, that I can see, to work on a FSA Gossamer triple 153 mm crankset with Shimano MTB pedals, is the pedal/crank interface, IQ2 power meters that MIGHT be released in Dec 2018.

Does anyone know of another power meter for R/L balance, for a triple crank with Shim MTB pedals?

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
I don't understand why you think I am in fine form??!!

Can you fit wider tyres, to the Vendetta, and run at lower pressures, and if Tubeless then even lower pressure without the risk of pinch flats!!!!

If you weigh 90 kgs, or has it gone up??? and the Vendetta weighs 15 Kgs with water bottles/bags, and with a 50% F/R wheel load, at 53 Kg per wheel, then the recommended tyre pressures are: __ __Bike model V20 _ V20 _S40 _S40 _S40 _ 650B S40
Tyre width 28 mm 30 mm 32 mm 35 mm 38 mm 42 mm

80 kg rider 76 psi 69 psi 61 psi 52 psi 45 psi 38 psi
90 Kg Rider 86 psi 76 psi 68 psi 58 psi 50 psi 42 psi
100 Kg rider 95 psi 84 psi 76 psi 65 psi 56 psi 47 psi
110 Kg rider 104 psi 92 psi 82 psi 70 psi 62 psi 52 psi

http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

A rear air shock like a Manitou Radium R 165 mm fully extended, 38 mm movement, made a HUGE difference to my Softrider coil spring rear suspension!

Can you fit wider tyres to the hurricane, and Marathon Racer HS429 (6 speed rating), compared to Marathon HS420 4 speed rating?
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_racer_429

At $950 AU from 99 bikes, for TWO bikes, a Watteam Powerbeat dual sided G3 2X2 could be an answer, with 4 strain gauges and mounts, and 2 wireless/battery units!

But ONLY if you can follow INSTRUCTIONS to install them on cranks, that have a crank flat top surface at least 6.7 mm wide, as this is the width of the strain gauge module.

AND they work with Q rings and give direct L+R power balance!

The G3s have two wireless and rechargeable battery units than unclicks from one bike and installs on a second in 30 seconds, for most people!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/hands-on-watteams-new-gen3-powerbeat-power-meter.html

After finding the strain gauge width today, in the manual, I checked my FSA cranks for the flat width of the crank top, only to find that it is 0 mm, when using a light source behind a steel ruler laid across the crank!!!!

BOO HOOO!!!!!

Now the only power meter, to give me R/L pedal balance, that I can see, to work on a FSA Gossamer triple 153 mm crankset with Shimano MTB pedals, is the pedal/crank interface, IQ2 power meters that MIGHT be released in Dec 2018.

Does anyone know of another power meter for R/L balance, for a triple crank with Shim MTB pedals?

Oh I’m a svelte 82 kg 280 watt FTP consistent going nowhere.

No stiction on coil spring even the cheapie on the hurricane seems to do its job well.

Plus it’s simple and reliable.

Hey that’s half a description of south Australia

The bronze bushings are also new at pivot point.

My g3 power hub meters are both in 700 c wheelsets. The watteam sounds interesting but following instructions for $950 is not necessarily established safe me.

Yep marathon racers are next tyres for sure but the existing marathons are brand new. The hurricane would take a 2” tyre no problem and I’ll fit some big apples too. Got some fast 406 tyres with two trikes in the stable including scorchers Durano and contis n kojaks.
That would add speed but that’s what the vendettas are for.

Like the portable nature of the pedals but like you don’t want to go away from shimano clipless

maybe I can live without power on the gto and hurricane.

Lots of rain last few days.......might flush toilet and send some your way.

Good luck slim on the power meter hunt. As always mate. thanks for sharing your engineering prowess. I’ll check watteam

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Oh I’m a svelte 82 kg 280 watt FTP consistent going nowhere.

No stiction on coil spring even the cheapie on the hurricane seems to do its job well.

Plus it’s simple and reliable.

Hey that’s half a description of south Australia

The bronze bushings are also new at pivot point.

My g3 power hub meters are both in 700 c wheelsets. The watteam sounds interesting but following instructions for $950 is not necessarily established safe me.

Yep marathon racers are next tyres for sure but the existing marathons are brand new. The hurricane would take a 2” tyre no problem and I’ll fit some big apples too. Got some fast 406 tyres with two trikes in the stable including scorchers Durano and contis n kojaks.
That would add speed but that’s what the vendettas are for.

Like the portable nature of the pedals but like you don’t want to go away from shimano clipless

maybe I can live without power on the gto and hurricane.

Lots of rain last few days.......might flush toilet and send some your way.

Good luck slim on the power meter hunt. As always mate. thanks for sharing your engineering prowess. I’ll check watteam
So you have lost weight, since I saw you last!
Good on you!

We received the heavy rain FIRST!!
At least SA is not covered in BLACK coal like Newcastle, and we don't want any coal soaked water being flushed down the clean Murray River!!

On my old Scorpion FX trike, I went from 406 * 47 Marathon Plus, Ultra Slow and howled on two wheeled corners, to 406 * 40 Greenspeed Scorchers, Fast, but got cut to pieces on fast descents in the Adelaide hills, only 1,000 Km, then to the best, Kojak 406 * 40, super fast, excellent predictable corning, and did not cut easily on chip sealed roads!

Go BIG on the front unsuspended tyre!

If you are willing to pay $90us per crank, then Watteam will attach the strain gauges, IF the hollow Shimano AL cranks are on their approved list!!
https://watteam.com/technology/

You will need to send them to US, OR buy a crank in US and send to them!
If you use MYUS.com for free, to create a US address at Sarasota Florida, then the shipping to Aust would be $30 + $20/kg per package, OR Upgrade to pro for $7 a month if more then one package received in a month to get them consolidated for cheaper shipping.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Lol slim. Weight really. Who you callin.

Mate I’ve got an ultegra crankset on their approved list.

I’ll think about it. But I’ll fit myself if I go that way.

Actually enjoying being metrics free for a while.

Yeah kojaks are good. But I’ve got big apples on the greenspeed gto and Conti on the catrike 700 at moment.

So many tyres and not enough time to wear em out.

Heading for 16,000 klm this year which is lowest for a long time..........

Cheers mate.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Lol slim. Weight really. Who you callin.

Mate I’ve got an ultegra crankset on their approved list.

I’ll think about it. But I’ll fit myself if I go that way.

Actually enjoying being metrics free for a while.

Yeah kojaks are good. But I’ve got big apples on the greenspeed gto and Conti on the catrike 700 at moment.

So many tyres and not enough time to wear em out.

Heading for 16,000 klm this year which is lowest for a long time..........

Cheers mate.
My cycling friends tell me I am that slim, that I disappear when I turn sideways!!!
Aren't they good friends!

jond

Zen MBB Master
My cycling friends tell me I am that slim, that I disappear when I turn sideways!!!
Aren't they good friends!

Slim you are super slim. A south Aussie gentleman.

Hey I wacked on my 406 Centrelock shimano discs rear vendetta and it cleared the frame.