Using 700c road bike components

Hilry

Hi folks,

I have spent most of the day on this website and now ,I want, I want, I want, I want.

I want a Silvio, or indeed any of them, but the usual funds deficiency prevents it for the moment, so I am weighing up the conversion option.

I have a road bike with a custom made frame I had made a few years back due to back problem.
It might possibly be able to be converted but as it has no supension I am thinking that the conversion kit with the frame would be a better option for me.

The bike has 700c wheels, quill stem (not ahead), Campag triple chainset and Shimano Alivio deraileurs, 7 speed and very recently fitted Revoshift gear levers (the 101 brifters were knackered).

Question is, does the current conversion kit accommodate 700c wheels?
and, if it does, what other bits would I need?

Thanks.
H

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
donor fork and frame that accepts 700c

Its possible to put 700c wheels on the Sofrider. The conversion kit shares the front triangle. if you have a donor fork and frame that accepts 700c then you can go ahead.

Hilry

Game on!

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm away on holiday next week and will have to investigate and select forks in the meantime.

Wish I had one already to take with me

Hilry

Delivery times

Hi,
How long does delivery take to the UK?
I now have gainful employment again so can buy the kit, Hurrah!
I would like to order now but am away for the week so wanted to make sure it doesn't arrive before I get back.

Cheers
H

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
about 7 days

It will take about 7 days to get there. If you order today, we'll send on Monday 10th, for delivery in the week following Monday 17th.

Hilry

Its arrived

Luxury!
It's arrived. Well I collected it from depot as was still awaiting invoice for customs charges to arrive and I couldn't wait any longer. Have invested in some carbon forks Now I've just got to put it together. Still need a couple of bits.

Suns supposed to be out again tomorrow. If only it was ready!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
o-oh Carbon Forks

Did I hear Carbon Forks? The triangle bracket palces puts a point load on the side of the fork leg. Carbon does not like loads in unexpected places, so ... some particular care is needed in the implementation, or metal forks might be preferred.

Hilry

Back to the drawing board

Doh! I won't be riding it today then.

Off the LBs fir some bits....

Cheers John

Hilry

Front Derailleur

Hi,

Getting there. Just got to put on the brakes and front derailleur now.

My front derailleur (Alivio) off my road bike has a bracket that is too small for the conversion kit boom.

What size is it I need to get?

Cheers
H

Hilry

Had my first go

Well I've got it together....now if only I could ride it!

It is like learning to ride a bike from scratch again, but I did manage that after a couple of goes.
Had a go on the alley behind my house which is nice and gently sloping, but unfortunately full of pot holes.

Nearly managed to pedal it once or twice but swerved and had to stop.
With having the shorter legs the pedalas are quite high and it's a long way to lift them up.

There isn't enough room there to try properly and there are too many folk pottering about at this time of day, so I largley stuck to swinging about the width of the road with my feet dangling to get a feel for the steering.

Will have to find a nice large quiet car park with more room to swing about in tomorrow.

What is the best type of glue to stick the seat trim back on with please?
It is coming off probably from me lifting the bike about by the seat.