V2/Frameset and Conversion Kit Questions

Last summer I took the plunge and purchased my first 'bent, a Bacchetta Corsa. Love it, but now I'm finding that I want to try other 'bents, and have recently become very intrigued by Cruzbikes. I've been reading the forums and looking at the conversions with a great deal of interest, even though I am not very mechanically inclined. I was thinking of finding a donor mountain bike and trying just the conversion kit, but then I spotted the Frameset and that made me really start thinking.

My main question is this: Would the components from my Fuji Absolute 1.0 (see link to bike below) transfer to the frameset and conversion kit? And would I need to just add a mountain bike fork, seat post, and maybe different handlebars? The Fuji is a decent bike and has a little over 1,800 miles on it, but it's just not comfortable anymore. And I don't think I could get a good price at all if I tried to sell it.

So, any input from you experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Link to a Fuji: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fuji/absolute_1.htm

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice bike...

From the specs page, this is what will and won't work:

Fork FC-990 Fuji Bonded Carbon Trekking w/ 1 1/8" Cro-Mo Steerer
Carbon forks will not work with the conversion kit, Point loading from the adapter brackets will break the fork legs eventually
Crankset Shimano Triple Ring - No Problem
Bottom Bracket Shimano Exterior bearing - No Problem
Front Derailleur Shimano 105 triple, 31.8mm - Needs a 34.9mm derailleur clamp
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105, 10 sp.- No Problem
Shifters
Shimano SL-R770 Flat bar road components- No Problem
Cassette/Freewheel Shimano 105, 12-27, 10 sp.- No Problem
Chain Narrow 10 speed- No Problem
Hubs Shimano Tiagra Sealed Ball Bearing- No Problem
Spokes 14G Stainless Steel - No Problem
Rims Alex DA13 Double Wall Alloy - No Problem
Tires Vittoria Zaffiro 700 X 28c - No Problem
Brakes NEW Tektro mini-V brakes - No Problem - I've used these before
Brake Levers Tektro aluminum for V brakes - No Problem
Headset Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road, with convex hollow alloy 15mm spacer - No Problem - use your existing stem
Handlebar Fuji CGC Double Butted 6061, 31.8mm w/Anatomical drops - No Problem - use your existing stem
Stem NEW Fuji Adjustable Aluminum, Removable Clamp - - No Problem
Tape/Grip Fuji Ergo Double Density Kraton Men/Ladies Specific
Seat Post Fuji 27.2 Micro-Adjust Aluminum, 300mm - - No Problem - may have to fiddle with the adjustment angle; at worst you'll need an inexpensive standard seat post
Seat Clamp Aluminum 31.8mm bolt - No Problem

Should make a nice V2K conversion. Let us know what we can do to help.

Cheers,

Doug

Awesome response, Doug,

Awesome response, Doug, thanks! I knew the carbon fork wouldn't work... should be able to get a used one easy enough.

Now to think about it some more...if I do this, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Sofrider

Well, yesterday a gently used Sofrider followed me home from Kansas! Guess my Fuji is safe from being converted to a FWD MBB. :)