V20 max tire size

TransAm

Hi. On a 23mm widht wheel is it possible mounting a 28mm widht tire ....or more wider too ?

If you mean 23mm internal width hooked rim, i.e. 23c, then the minimum recommended tire size is 37mm based on design standards set by ISO for the ETRTO standards:

schwalbe-ETRTO-rim-and-tire-width-recommendation-chart-600x337.gif

If you run a rim that is too wide for a particular tire you have a lot more issues with tire and rim damage. The tire could also blow off the rim.

Tech Talk: Are your bike tires too wide for your rims? Here's how to get it right - Bikerumor

WTB has slightly more liberal guidance:

Dropbar_Tire_Rim_Compatibility.jpg

But they recommend a minimum of 30mm tire on 23mm rim.

Tire & Rim Fit Chart – WTB

You may be able to run a wider rim with foam tire inserts, though.

Last edited:

TransAm

P.S. At Paris Roubaix Alexander Kristoff was running Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 25mm tubeless on Campagnolo Bora WTO tubeless-ready wheels that are 19mm wide inside. They worked together fine in previous races. But when he hit the cobbles with them he flatted three times before switching to tubulars. Other competitors were generally using 28c tires. 25c/19c is not recommended in the ISO/ETRTO chart, and is marked by a dot which means it's iffy in the WTB chart.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
P.S. At Paris Roubaix Alexander Kristoff was running Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 25mm tubeless on Campagnolo Bora WTO tubeless-ready wheels that are 19mm wide inside. They worked together fine in previous races. But when he hit the cobbles with them he flatted three times before switching to tubulars. Other competitors were generally using 28c tires. 25c/19c is not recommended in the ISO/ETRTO chart, and is marked by a dot which means it's iffy in the WTB chart.

I watched Paris Roubaix a couple of times in person. 30+ years later, I still feel the exhilaration seeing the racers hit the sections of pave at full chat hearing the violent noises of their bikes and wheels complaining. Then, jumping into my rental bombing 120-130 km/h down adjacent nearly abandoned farming roads, catching air hitting head on roof liner. I have done a lot of bike touring on those type of roads. 25 mm tires isn't enough air cushion on such pave. They make a 30mm tire, he should have had those or 32 mm GP5000 if he wanted a fast tire.

I always found the following very useful WRT tires, pressure, etc. For instance, my pump guage reads 11 psi low. I never got pinch flats on an upright but found I was getting them often on a bent. Wonder why.

https://blog.silca.cc/road-to-roubaix-the-complete-story-1-0

How about changing wheels during an event? Smaller when the road is smooth, fatties for the rough. Discs/deep rims if no side wind.

Pinch flats more on ‘bent: We can’t use bent knees and ankles to let the bike float over rough patches. What I try to do when going over a bump, pothole, or bridge expansion seam is to lift my pelvis and have the weight distributed through the feet, back, and hands. That doesn’t always prevent pinches, I flatted while riding non-tubeless on an old canal towpath earlier this year.

Does anyone run a 28 Conti GP4000S II on the standard Velocity Deep rim and the V20 black frame? I've read that those tires tend to measure much higher than 28 when inflated.
They are quite big, my dad had a pair of 28mm on a 2007 Specialized Tarmac and there was barely any daylight, I replaced them with 28 mm GP5000 and there is excellent clearance.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
I will say you have two years to get the most out of your V before the PBP and like most you will find it is a long learning curve, so you are starting at the right time. No doubt there are those who hop on a Vendetta and rip away immediately, but that wasn't me and riding on your back is so counter intuitive that your brain will fight you all the way.

However, I've had a number of Vendettas racing at my event the past couple of years to witness they are a thing of beauty when ridden competently and fast, so it's worth persevering with it.

I signed up the the LEL - which starts in two weeks - thinking that I would ride it if I could do it on my V because I knew that riding 840 miles in 100 hours or less on my standard bike was not going to be any fun at all. As it is, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, I'm still riding parking lots. Sufficient to say I will not be flying to London at the end of the month and no doubt will regret I didn't practice enough on the Vendetta to go to Britain to ride the LEL for a very long time. :(

Maybe we will see each other at the PBP in two years. :)

Learning curve INDEED !
Riding a trainer this winter and anticipating a better V20 year than my first ... which was the most stressful 3 months ever.

20220107_112246.jpg
I will say you have two years to get the most out of your V before the PBP and like most you will find it is a long learning curve, so you are starting at the right time. No doubt there are those who hop on a Vendetta and rip away immediately, but that wasn't me and riding on your back is so counter intuitive that your brain will fight you all the way.

However, I've had a number of Vendettas racing at my event the past couple of years to witness they are a thing of beauty when ridden competently and fast, so it's worth persevering with it.

I signed up the the LEL - which starts in two weeks - thinking that I would ride it if I could do it on my V because I knew that riding 840 miles in 100 hours or less on my standard bike was not going to be any fun at all. As it is, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, I'm still riding parking lots. Sufficient to say I will not be flying to London at the end of the month and no doubt will regret I didn't practice enough on the Vendetta to go to Britain to ride the LEL for a very long time. :(

Maybe we will see each other at the PBP in two years. :)

Braulio

I used to have a Maxis Refuse 700c x 32 (tubeless) on the back of my V20. It was on a wide rim (HED Belgium Plus). On a narrower rim that tire was too tall and would contact the brake bridge. Clearance was tight, less than 2mm from the brake bridge. Always made me nervous when riding over leaves and twigs.
When it wore out I replaced it with a 700c x 28 Schwalbe pro One.
While I knew that wider rims make tires wider, I didn't realize that narrower tires made tires taller.