V20 to Sweden

t.c103

Hi

After a lot of reading on this forum I finally made up my mind and decide to go for the vendetta instead of the Silvio and for me it was a quite difficult decision because my goal is to build an efficient bike for long distance riding like brevets. (Better comfort or some higher speed?? ) I still have some worries, but I think that I have some opportunities to make the V20 more comfortable if necessary with right tires and also a different seat the way Rick Youngblood solved it. Thanks to this great forum for all inspiration.

I bought the V20 Core edition frame kit from Cycles Bentoline in France and it will arrive in a week or so. My v 20 will be the first Vendetta in Sweden. Probably I keep my old Sofrider V1 for some cruising and for those who is interested in learning the MBB format…..

I hope I will get some help from the forum to pick the right components for my build. I`m in a budget and therefore I have to make some priorities.

I`m thinking that first of all I need some good reliable wheels and tires. Lot of opportunities but Robert Hollers V 20 build opened my eyes for H plus son 42 rims…. Cant get them out of my head… I can buy them from Germany for an almost acceptable price but those wheels will for sure tear on the budget, for tires I think of the Durano plus 28 mm reflective if it´s possible. For components I have some idea to go for the Shimano 105 range or cheaper… For the moment some reasonable good deals on those at Evans Cycles in UK. Sram groups seem to be more expensive….

I will appreciate all input that helps me make the right priorities and pick the right parts for this project. J

Kind regards.:)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey T.C., CONGRATULATIONS
That was a big decision. I have worked in Sweden for 6 months years ago at the SAS Flight Academy at Arlanda, you have most fantastic flat country with not so many hills and lots of woods. I really enjoyed my stay there. Swedish people are very friendly, and they certainly know what to do when they get paid. LOL

I bought my V eighteen months ago and like you was thinking... cheaper the better. But this bike is a pedigree and it does deserve the best. Try to push to the higher end of your envelope.

Shimano Ultegra 6800 is a great value groupset from http://www.fibica.com for $770. I am well pleased with them. Oddly enough at the time I could not get a cranksize of 165mm from Shimano, which I bought and fitted at Xmas. But now its mainstream ... its a must if you are getting the V20. The brakes are really really good. It would be a mistake to put the Shimano 105 on such a fast bike. Some of the Vendetta riders - well it seems most - prefer SRAM. If I were to get a new bike I would have to think twice. SRAM is the best if you want a crank size of less than 165mm. I have put Q Rings on as I like to ride every day and I can recover better using Q Rings than standard.

Hope that helps!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I ride a Vendetta, and it is still comfortable after riding for 24 hours straight. You don't have to compromise. But you might want to replace the stock seat like Rick did - along with getting a Ventisit seat pad and an ADEM headrest. I did, and I am very comfortable. You'll need to tune in your fit of course. Maybe get some short cranks and elliptical chain rings. And, since it's a Vendetta, I don't even have to mention the speed. They called me the Red Rocket until I powdercoated it matte black.

Apollo

Congrats on the new V20, t.c130! Curious on the component selection you end up with. Sweden sounds like a lovely country to ride in.

Shimano Ultegra 6800 is a great value groupset from http://www.fibica.com for $770. I am well pleased with them. Oddly enough at the time I could not get a cranksize of 165mm from Shimano, which I bought and fitted at Xmas. But now its mainstream ... I have put Q Rings on as I like to ride every day and I can recover better using Q Rings than standard.
David, I want to ask a question about the Q-ring setup on your 6800 crank. I was going to post a thread about this because many people with Vendettas are using Rotor rings. Most of these riders except for one or two people are running standard 5-bolt pattern spiders in either 130 or 110 BCD. Aren't the new Shimano 4x110 BCD cranksets incompatible with Q-rings in the recumbent position? The bolt holes have unequal spacing and I can't imagine how to properly position the Q-ring for a recumbent unless I'm missing something. Or, does it still work OK in standard DF installation? I have both a 6800 and 6700 (130 BCD) crank but don't know which crank would work better with Q-rings on a Cruzbike. Any help would be welcome!

DavidCH

Congrats on the new V20, t.c130! Curious on the component selection you end up with. Sweden sounds like a lovely country to ride in.

David, I want to ask a question about the Q-ring setup on your 6800 crank. I was going to post a thread about this because many people with Vendettas are using Rotor rings. Most of these riders except for one or two people are running standard 5-bolt pattern spiders in either 130 or 110 BCD. Aren't the new Shimano 4x110 BCD cranksets incompatible with Q-rings in the recumbent position? The bolt holes have unequal spacing and I can't imagine how to properly position the Q-ring for a recumbent unless I'm missing something. Or, does it still work OK in standard DF installation? I have both a 6800 and 6700 (130 BCD) crank but don't know which crank would work better with Q-rings on a Cruzbike. Any help would be welcome!
Well spotted Apollo, on my rotor rings I have 3 hole settings and I took the middle one, it looks good and performs well. I just looked up Bob's link for Q Rings and it appears ROTOR is now putting on more holes for the Shimano version. So guess I missed out a smidge.
Chainreactioncycles still sell the three hole chaining so there is doubt.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/es/en/rotor-q-ring-shimano-oval-aero-chainring/rp-prod140396

IMG_0834.PNG

Last edited:

t.c103

I bought my V eighteen months ago and like you was thinking... cheaper the better. But this bike is a pedigree and it does deserve the best. Try to push to the higher end of your envelope.
Thanks David, just buying the frameset was a huge push... and there is still some other limits because I can not provide the bike with the best rider... accually not even a good one...... yet!! but will work on that..
and upgrades to think about next long winter is also nice... :)

DavidCH

Haas I have an old crank Shimano 6800 ultegra 170mm for sale with untouched chain wheels 53/39 for sale with rear cassette 11/28t for 200 euros if you are interested :)

t.c103

Haas I have an old crank Shimano 6800 ultegra 170mm for sale with untouched chain wheels 53/39 for sale with rear cassette 11/28t for 200 euros if you are interested :)
Thanks, but think I`m too slow and too short.... will probably go for 50/34 with 11-32 or 36.... and 165 mm cranks...

DavidCH

T.C.

You need to order the long gated deuralier to go with anything greater than a 11/28t cassette. You might be lucky as you are going for a smaller chain wheel set.

t.c103

Here is the spec about the 105 group... will these parts work ??

Bottom Bracket:

BB-R60 (68mm)

Brakes:
105 BR-5800 (with R55C4 brake pads for non-carbon braking surface)

Cassette:
105 CS-5800 12-25, 11-28 or 11-32 11-Speed

Chain:
CN-HG600 11 Speed

Chainset:
105 FC-5800, available in 50/34 or 52/36

Front Mech:
105 FD-5800-F Braze-On

Rear Mech:
105 RD-5800-SS (short cage) for Black / GS (long cage) for Silver

Shifters:
105 ST-5800, including cables

Apollo

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If you have hills:

Get the 11-32T and the GS long cage; you can always go smaller later.
Unless you are beast get the 110BCD 50/34
Get the RWC BB and save yourself the shimming hassle.

Apollo

T.c.103, I have to concur with ratz on the BB choice. It's money well spent and I'll probably be doing the same ($99) unless the frame I get already has a BB installed by a previous owner. These are high quality components and you won't have the hassles that other BBs might cause. One component I try budgeting for quality is anything that has bearings in it. These parts tend to cost you more money in the long run if they are of lower quality, and the performance is noticeable especially in the long run.

t.c103

Nope $79 or $99
Thanks Rats and Apollo for the suggestions and the budget might be a little flexible for good reasons....

My plan was to buy as much as possible from the same dealer in England were a complete Group Shimano 105 5800 cost 360 euro... (another 160 euro for an upgrade to Ultegra..with 170 mm cranks that I will try to replace to 165 if possible)
I think price in total from them is hard to beat over here....

The SS RWC BB has about the same price in US as the most expensive Shimano Dura Ace at the bike shop in UK so the big issue for me on the RWC BB is not the upgrade it self..... but with shipping costs and taxes the BB will ends up close to 200 dollars...

Love to have quality but it does not feel good to spend most of an extended budget on shipping and taxes...

So I appreciate a lot if you got any suggestions from the big manufacturers that might be a option to the RWC??
Also appreciate if you let me know if there is some other parts in my list that won`t fit or shouldn't be used..

Thanks

jond

Zen MBB Master
chain reaction wiggle shimano ultegra $750 full groupset but you will need outer cabling and another chain . i thought you can not get a 165mm crankset for 105 or ultegra 11 speed. then replace the bb save shims