V20c first ride )s)

Midnight

Picked up the Vendetta yesterday - used from a dear gentleman who bought it and changed his mind.

First few rides today. After 3 iterations of adjusting (with more to come), I took a 30 minute ride around a local neighborhood. Came in the house - re-grouped and decided to do a formal loop near home, on public roads. I survived- felt pretty good, but man is that bike different! Scared to death at times —— top of the world at times!

I can see where it will be superior once I learn how to ride it.
15 or so miles down, many more to go.

Perry McFall aka (Midnight)

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Welcome aboard. My first ride on a V20, eight years ago, was 7 miles on a 6 mile road--that's how much I wobbled. Perhaps the scariest ride of my road riding life. About a 1000 miles later... piece-o-cake. It takes time, patience, and a fair amount of repetition to create the new brain wiring needed for this kind of bike, but it is so worth it on the other side. Enjoy the process.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Welcome Midnight. I'm jealous you were able to get it moving and keep it upright so quickly. It took me 2 weeks of puttering around my neighborhood occasionally ejecting high pitched screams in horror, but it is solid as a rock now especially at anything above 18mph or 30kph. You'll find that you will be able to customize it to your needs far more than a DF bike, and it will be far more enjoyable. I've had mine for 3 years now and I am still grinning guiltily each ride.

Midnight

Welcome Midnight. I'm jealous you were able to get it moving and keep it upright so quickly. It took me 2 weeks of puttering around my neighborhood occasionally ejecting high pitched screams in horror, but it is solid as a rock now especially at anything above 18mph or 30kph. You'll find that you will be able to customize it to your needs far more than a DF bike, and it will be far more enjoyable. I've had mine for 3 years now and I am still grinning guiltily each ride.
I wasn’t always steady, but I survived. Humbled riding this bike to say the least. I did ride in our driveway on slow things first, then the neighborhood, then the loop.

I found improvement with each ride even after surpassing 500 miles. I think that is just the way muscle memory works or at least for me.

I made a few adjustments early on before realizing I needed the next size longer chainstay for my long legs. After changing out the chainstay, I added clip in pedals and made another adjustment. Clipping in really helped. I then left the adjustments alone to get used to one setup. Now I am closing in on 2000 miles and am considering another very minor adjustment and thinking about upgrading the wheels.

I've just bought a Bacchetta CA3.0 here in the UK... Rode a Ti Aero for a couple of years and really only sold it because SWMBO doesn't get the N+ theory... I've done around 3,000 miles now on the V20 and my regular route is relatively flat so it's really wasted on me...

I have however just started to feel really comfortable on the CB so I will build the CA3.0 (Components in hand and just waiting for my brother in law to bring the bike back from down south) and try it... If I like it I may cash in on the V20 but it's going to take some deep thought before I do decide to part with it... They really don't come up often here in the UK, especially not in the condition that mine's in

Hey Steve Heywood, maybe settle in at N. I am now mostly alternating between my V20c and a CA2. I built up N with an a Bacchetta Corsa, Catrike 700, and a diamond frame (where I started) plus some much older bikes including ones purchased for teens.

It is interesting to go back and forth between the V20c and CA2 as it requires different riding technique. It now takes me a turn or two for my muscle memory to adjust instead of a mile or two.

Hey Steve Heywood, maybe settle in at N. I am now mostly alternating between my V20c and a CA2. I built up N with an a Bacchetta Corsa, Catrike 700, and a diamond frame (where I started) plus some much older bikes including ones purchased for teens.

It is interesting to go back and forth between the V20c and CA2 as it requires different riding technique. It now takes me a turn or two for my muscle memory to adjust instead of a mile or two.
I think I will adjust fairly easily on the two... The Ti Aero was very light in terms of steering and the V20 very heavy in comparison but I'm prepared for the difference having owned both types

Midnight

I found improvement with each ride even after surpassing 500 miles. I think that is just the way muscle memory works or at least for me.

I made a few adjustments early on before realizing I needed the next size longer chainstay for my long legs. After changing out the chainstay, I added clip in pedals and made another adjustment. Clipping in really helped. I then left the adjustments alone to get used to one setup. Now I am closing in on 2000 miles and am considering another very minor adjustment and thinking about upgrading the wheels.
I’ll be glad when I can relax a while riding! A little better every day

Flying Dutchman

I've just bought a Bacchetta CA3.0 here in the UK... Rode a Ti Aero for a couple of years and really only sold it because SWMBO doesn't get the N+ theory... I've done around 3,000 miles now on the V20 and my regular route is relatively flat so it's really wasted on me...

I have however just started to feel really comfortable on the CB so I will build the CA3.0 (Components in hand and just waiting for my brother in law to bring the bike back from down south) and try it... If I like it I may cash in on the V20 but it's going to take some deep thought before I do decide to part with it... They really don't come up often here in the UK, especially not in the condition that mine's in
Hey Steve, if you decide to sell, I'm up in Yorkshire so if you're not too far I'd love to come and check yours out

Midnight

A few milestones today! 32 miles, felt well as far as riding and got many times smoother on straight line tracking. I did take the adjustable headrest off and put the original back on, I think it suits me better. We will see tomorrow.
I also am able to take one hand off the bars, pedaling without being terrified!
I took a bottle from the rear holder a s drank while riding, but was unable to return it to the holder! One step at a time.
I very happy to be more comfortable and confident riding it. Used to be 6’3” now a little over 6’1” and I can say it’s nice to be out of the wind on the V20c !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I very happy to be more comfortable and confident riding it. Used to be 6’3” now a little over 6’1” and I can say it’s nice to be out of the wind!!!!!!!!!
Being out of the wind makes a huge difference. I am 5'10", have huge feet and wide shoulders so I am not near as aero as the shorter guys. Since you are so tall and if you don't already have them, then maybe check around for the long chainstays so you can get your feet a little higher in the air will which help streamline you a little more.
As for replacing the waterbottles, I practiced a little while my V20 was on the bike stand, and some cages are a bit easier to get it in. finding a cage that also hold onto the bottles well enough so they don't eject when you ride over bumps makes it a trial and error deal. I have so many bottle cages that don't work on my V20 now that I can start selling them.

Roystheboy

Hi Steve I might be interested in your V20 if you decide to part company with it I’ll keep my eye on the forum for any info I’m in the Staffordshire area so not too far away.

Hi Steve I might be interested in your V20 if you decide to part company with it I’ll keep my eye on the forum for any info I’m in the Staffordshire area so not too far away.
Lived in Stafford for ~15 years Roy and our two sons are still there.. One in town and one in Hixon

If I do decide to sell the V20 on I’ll post the details on the forum.. I had the Dura Ace crank checked as part of the recall today.. Clean bill of health but as it’s now on the Shimano database as having the strip down check then it will be covered going forward if it should decide to fail

Midnight

Update —— around 500 miles on the V20c - a metric century on flats at the beach and several 30 - 40 mile rides around home and I can say I’ve improved a fair amount. I can let go of the bars, coasting and pedaling, remove and return water bottles in the rear cages and generally relax while riding now. I have not joined my group yet, but will soon - they are pressing me to show up! Glad I’ve made the switch and can say I wish I would have earlier in life, love the ride, comfort and speed. Next tests will be venturing towards the mountains for some longer climbs to see how I fair. I think I will be generally as fast as I was before climbing for the most part. Some of out climbs get testy with 12-15 and near 20% on some - that’s just going to be getting over the top, just like the conventional bike.
I have topped 40 mph so far on downhills - WOW this bike will roll!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Update —— around 500 miles on the V20c - a metric century on flats at the beach and several 30 - 40 mile rides around home and I can say I’ve improved a fair amount. I can let go of the bars, coasting and pedaling, remove and return water bottles in the rear cages and generally relax while riding now. I have not joined my group yet, but will soon - they are pressing me to show up! Glad I’ve made the switch and can say I wish I would have earlier in life, love the ride, comfort and speed. Next tests will be venturing towards the mountains for some longer climbs to see how I fair. I think I will be generally as fast as I was before climbing for the most part. Some of out climbs get testy with 12-15 and near 20% on some - that’s just going to be getting over the top, just like the conventional bike.
I have topped 40 mph so far on downhills - WOW this bike will roll!

Glad to hear Midnight. The V20c is an excellent climber, probably the best of all recumbents. Up to almost a 3% grade the V20s aero trumps roadbike's lightness according to a very smart dude on another forum who was kind enough to depart with some of his wisdom when I gave him all my relevant details on my V20 and my road bike. So, expect roadies to start pulling ahead on climbs around that grade. You'll be able to reel them back in on the descents and flats. Yes, the V20 and V20c do roll. I have been battling against a trio of triathletes on their tri-bikes on the flat Arakawa river course, as well as a a similarly sized Japanese guy on his Cervelo P5/6 with HED Jet 9 wheels who has a power meter. JP, the fastest of the trio also has a PM, but he often hides his PM data. Very often I ride on the same days as either of them, sometimes both, and when I compared all of our speeds and PM data when I had a PM on my last crankset it always took them 75-90 watts more on their tri-bikes with fast wheels (285-300w to my 210w) to go the same speed as me on the flats.

Midnight

Glad to hear Midnight. The V20c is an excellent climber, probably the best of all recumbents. Up to almost a 3% grade the V20s aero trumps roadbike's lightness according to a very smart dude on another forum who was kind enough to depart with some of his wisdom when I gave him all my relevant details on my V20 and my road bike. So, expect roadies to start pulling ahead on climbs around that grade. You'll be able to reel them back in on the descents and flats. Yes, the V20 and V20c do roll. I have been battling against a trio of triathletes on their tri-bikes on the flat Arakawa river course, as well as a a similarly sized Japanese guy on his Cervelo P5/6 with HED Jet 9 wheels who has a power meter. JP, the fastest of the trio also has a PM, but he often hides his PM data. Very often I ride on the same days as either of them, sometimes both, and when I compared all of our speeds and PM data when I had a PM on my last crankset it always took them 75-90 watts more on their tri-bikes with fast wheels (285-300w to my 210w) to go the same speed as me on the flats.
I’m planning on adding a PM once I figure out crank length. I have 170’s on my gravel and road bike - both with PM’s and I do miss it. I train by numbers for validation of how I’m feeling mostly. I’ll likely move the gravel crank to the V20c to try it out before buying pedals or another PM.