V2K Question

RandoTy

New to the forum, and have another possibly dumb question:

I've been seeing here that suitable donors are getting hard to find.

One person posted this bike from Wallmart as a possible candidate, but others pointed out the components are probably garbage, and you would end up having to replace most of them anyway. Not a bad thing per se, as I know you can swap out a better donor without too much trouble down the road. I might go with this and change the seatpost, and gradually upgrade components.

The other option is the V2K frame. I have an old hardtail Specialized mountain bike that was my old commuter. It's got 26 Schwalbe Marathon plus wheels, decent gearing, etc., so I could take the guts from that bike to possibly build up the V2K. However, I no longer have the rockshcok. I put on a rigid Surly fork.

I don't think it needs to be a suspension fork, or does it?

Thanks,

Ty

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
suspension fork

The latest iteration of the Sofrider does away with its front suspension and if you look at some of Doug's creations, you can see that a rigid fork can work well.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
Andrew's absolutely right

Hi,

Andrew's absolutely right here. The Vendetta has no suspension at all.

That being said, you'll now be riding in a position where it is much harder to lift yourself off the bike to handle bumps, so suspension is not a bad thing on a recumbent.

You could go with the Walmart bike and build it up using your components as well. With Walmart, you can do ship-to-store for free and if you take a look at the frame and decide you don't want it, you can return it.

Let us know what you decide (and take pictures!)

Cheers,
Charles

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Some one else on the forum...

... has converted that Walmart bike and it came out pretty well.

If the bike you are considering using the components from has a 1 1/8 inch threadless headset, the fork from it probably won't fit the Walmart head tube (those bikes usually use 1 inch steerers on the fork.

The V2K uses a 1 1/8 inch steerer. If you want to use a 1 inch fork on the V2K frame, use headset reducer cups in the frame.

You have plenty of options.