Vendetta Build-Up

jalexartis

For John Tolhurst:

Can I use Campy Record Components with the Vendetta?

I'm thinking a frameset and then componets & wheels from my Trek Project One road bike.

I like the Bull Horn Bars as well as the drop-V-bars from Mr.V. [Sir, if you read this I want to contact you].

Thanks!

Jim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The Vendetta BB is a bit fatter than most

Sorry Jim - I hoped someone with direct experience might jump in on this one.

I have not personally seen campy record on a Vendetta yet. I will try to get Jim Parker to comment, as he runs campy on his Silvio and would be able to at least eyeball the shape of the record crank against the Vendetta BB, which is a bit fatter than most. The design intent is that all cranks will fit the current edition V. Previously some compact cranksets did not.

John

jalexartis

Thanks John!

The crank is Bontrager Race X Lite Compact [54/30 10-speed chain rings]. I'm hoping I can use the components I have rather than trying to sell them. I get more value by keeping them. I'm looking forward to the next-gen V. --jim

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I have Campagnolo Chorus on my Silvio

...but I have not personally, or seen any customers, put a Campy groupset on a Vendetta.

I don't see why it wouldn't work just like any road groupset. I know a lot of bike shops don't work with Campy equipment, so most customers go with SRAM or Shimano.

Jim

jalexartis

Then, I may be a first.

Woodie Anderson, formerly of The Bicycle Shop in Fay., NC, will likely do my build-up. He knows my groupset. Thanks Jim for letting me know there are no restrictions. We'll see how it goes...

Jim Artis

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Campy...

Hi Jim,

The Vendetta requires an external bearing bottom bracket with bearing shells of a specific size to attach the chainstay assembly.

I have Campy Comp Triple components on my Silvio V1.0. Those won't work because they use a traditional internal bearing bottom bracket, so there's nothing to attach the chainstays to.

If you can find out what the bearing shell diameter is for Campy's external bearing bottom brackets, we can be a little more specific with our answers.

Cheers,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
44 mm outside diameter

The outboard bearing shells as in this picture must be 44mm in diameter.
BBST11025.jpg width: 751px; height: 750px;

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Two types of external BB bearing shells...

Campagnolo appears to use two types of bearing shells for the Ultratorque BB systems:

campagnolo-components-integrated-bb-cups-bb30.jpg

campagnolo-components-ultra-torque-bb-cups.jpg

Since the Park BB removal/installation tool is the same for Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo systems (BB-19), I suspect that the second illustrated version will have the correct outside diameter to work with the Vendetta chainstay.

The first illistrated type will not have sufficient surface area on the flat to support the chainstay clamps.

Best,

Doug

jalexartis

Bontrager Race X Lite

Thanks Doug and John!

I have a Bontrager Race X Lite Compact Bottom Bracket and Crank [actually Truvativ Giga X Pipe], with external bearing races. If I am reading my spec sheet correctly the race widthe is 44.5mm for a frame width of 68mm--no spacers. If needed, I have no problem using different bottom bracket, crank, and chain rings.

I also have my original [non-compact] Bontrager BB set up.

Thanks!

Jim