Vendetta ... took a lot of punishment today ...

fthills

Ride stats

Dan, very nice way to describe the ride , combine the story with the stats and graphs.

fthills

Q re ride data

Dan , is it fair to say based on your heart rate, you maintained a measured pace rather than going all out?

psychling

measured pace ...

Oh yeah. With the RVs wandering all over the road, with detritus and debris in the shoulder of the road, with the road surface craggly and potholed ... safety was my first goal.

Actually, even if the road were clear and glass smooth this was another equipment shakedown ride in preparation for a 24 hour time trial in Texas on April 14th.

So, given my goal, and given the road conditions everything turned out really well.

It is likely that I won't even use water bottles for the 24. Using the Bentup Aero Seatbag I'll put one 70 oz bladder with straight water, and one 50 oz bladder with a very, very concentrated home-brew liquid fuel in the bag. Two hoses exiting from the seatbag and leading around to hang over my chest.

I tuck the fluid hoses in my jersey and draw the solution in sip fashion over a few minutes as I ride. Avoids `gulping' and interfering with breathing.

I expect to go through the 70 oz water supply pretty quick, i.e., stopping every 60 or so miles to rapidly fill the bag. The fuel concentrate should last me 4 to 6 hours for each bladder. I won't change out the bags. Instead, I have wide mouth water and fuel sources that I can dump fast and in large volume into the bladders when I stop. Fast, clean and effective.

I wear a recumbent jersey with three easily accessible pockets in the front. I can pop solid foods (peanut butter wafers, turkey jerky) in the pockets. Also, I watch the electrolytes by using Endurolyte pills by Hammer. Two an hour. Easy to do.

In such long events I've established a method for dealing with `sleep.' I can pull over, stay on the bike. Lean against a wall and put myself to sleep (close my eyes, clear my head) for 5 - 10 minutes. And I feel as refreshed as if I spent a few hours in a bed. A lucky resource I've used all my life. `Reboot.'