Vendetta V20

Seriously? Not offering the V any more?

Offering a Silvio without suspension with the same price tag as the suspended one is hard to understand for me.Where are the improvements that justify the same asking price? The color - we'll get over it. The boom - definitely not. The seat is still well described as "pan", every other bent manufacturer has accepted that human backs aren't flat. So, an anatomic seat in three sizes, or a carbon fiber boom, or a little more tire clearance for training on real-world roads: those are improvements that I would see as such.

Going to polish my old V...

Martin

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Lief, you need to add this to your historical imagery!

I might note, that if they had made this original (penny-farthing) in "yellow", it would probably have been faster and still around!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Now we just need a new set of

Now we just need a new set of bullhorns with better brakes.

tongue_smile.gif

Being able to adjust the boom without screwing up the FD adjustment is a plus.

A one piece true carbon fiber seat is a plus. I've always found the current seat pretty darn comfortable and it is curved a bit despite appearances. The first gen crude fiberglass seat with carbon fiber skin badly needed to be replaced.

I really like the Silvio V30 colors. I'm a bit ambivalent about the red for the Vendetta V20.

This should improve manufacturing and stocking costs by using the same boom and fork with the same finish for both and I'm pretty sure the HF tube is the same for both, just cut and welded differently for the head tube and rear triangle.

It looks as though the V2.0 and earlier pivot cage may allow for a bit tighter cockpit if desired but hard to tell from these photos. In fairness though it seems most folks were complaining the cockpit could get too tight...

Lief, can you do an ani-gif for the V2.0 and V20 Vendetta?

-Eric

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
This should improve

This should improve manufacturing and stocking costs by using the same boom for both...

I agree! I believe this is a smart move. Who's to say the new boom is not any less stiff than the older version. I do like the red. Roberts Vendetta looks great in red.

If I remember correctly, the Vendetta price was reduced sometime during the summer. And with the new version, the price did not increase. I would imagine this is because of the new manufacturing process of the new boom.

However, the big giant humongous yellow tube seems to have been synonymous with the Vendetta. It's easy for the roadies to se me coming from behind, they know when they see that big O yellow tube coming up on them, they're getting passed :)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Getting a Tighter Cockpit

Eric, I had the same thoughts about the cockpit when comparing the V20 to the V2.0. Perhaps cutting down the fork steerer tube is the method by which you can bring the bars closer to the body.

The people at Cruzbike are making decisions that balance business with performance and I doubt they'd sacrifice the latter simply for the sake of reducing production costs. I'm certain a lot of thought and testing has gone into the decision to have shared components between their top tier bikes. After all, it would be "free" to prototype the V20 with existing inventory; just swap the Silvio front end onto a Vendetta and see if what Maria Parker says. With her world records, I'm sure her input is the most valuable R&D that Cruzbike can get.

The V20 doesn't look as fast to me. Think about Ivan's Silvio and how much faster it looks with the chainstay extension. Making the boom closer to parallel with the ground makes the Silvio appear more aggressive and it works the same with the V2.0.

Kim is right.   That Yellow

Kim is right. That Yellow and Chrome front end with the big yellow top tube - was the look, the brand of a Vendetta. It looked awesome, and you could tell it was a Vendetta from a mile away.

This new V20 thing looks like a mashup of Vendetta, Silvio, and some red paint. I just don't see this new version turning any heads.

I hope the 2.0 makes a come back (any not by putting a yellow painted Silvio front end on it!)

LarryOz

Are you still on the waiting list for the Zockra FWD

Bob,
Just curious?!
Larry

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok I've been holding my

Ok I've been holding my thoughts on this....

Many good comments here that don't need to be repeated. To those I will add this:

Observations:

Sales drive design in small firms. The V 2.0 is still in stock; that's not because they were making more of them; they are still available because the sales volume is small. The new shared boom could mean some parts are the same; namely the boom; and only the boom. The pivot clamp was always the same; the front chain stay is different; one connects to carbon fiber yokes the other has aluminum arms. The front fork is different; the S20 has a shock fork the V20 has a non-shock fork. So it's the boom and the BB that's it.

Deduction:

So what's been removed by the change? A very expensive to manufacture front boom; that had to be made in 2-3 sizes. It's replaced by a single boom that is one size fits all; and is shared with another model bike. That's less cost more profit to Cruzbike; that's important, don't think for a second it's not; the principles involved still retain day jobs which is a hint to sales and margin.

Implications:

The new boom means you can adjust the boom with out resetting your front derailleur. I'm not sure "who" it is that would constantly be tweaking the boom; but that does make the bike more sale-able to people that can't adjust their own derailluers and that's important for delivering a "complete" bike versus a kit and that will mean more sales which will feed back into the program.

Speculation:

What I see is (1) clearly a cost saving move; and one we have to respect. (2) A Solution to make the bike simpler. I firmly believe the derailleur problem could have been solved on boom based on the V2.0. But it's probably just not justified by the sales.

Opinion:

I don't have a S20 in the garage to look at, but I have a S2.0 and a V2.0. When I look at both bikes I would much rather the V2.0 boom had become the standard; that thing is a work of art. I'm disappointed that the S20 boom is the new standard I find it esthetically un-appealing, but then again I don't like the White frame either (everyone is different).

When I ride the V2.0 the boom is a rock and I feel that I'm one with the bike; when I ride the S2.0 the boom doesn't flex but when I come from the V2.0 I feel like I've lost some connection to the bike and it feels "less solid". However, by the end of the ride the feeling is gone and I'm not missing anything.

When I bought V2.0, I already had the S2.0. To buy the V2.0 I canceled an open order for Zockra FWD, if the V20 had been the shipping bike at the time; I'd probably have a Zockra in the garage. If the V20 and S20 both existed at the time I bought the our first cruzbike it would have been a toss up between the S20 and V20 and I think the suspension would have won out.

If the majority of the customers are like I was when we first bought "I" would expect V20 sales to be less than or equal to V2.0 sales and S20 sales will continue to grow; the V20 just doesn't look faster than the S20 now; and it doesn't have suspension; at $100 difference people will have to take it on blind faith that it's a faster bike. If Maria and Jim are suddenly riding V20's that will say a lot.

Conclusion:

Wrong Boom, Correct Decision, We'll live, A year from now it will seem normal

Kenneth Jessett

Who makes the decision?

I think we would all agree it is important for any company to constantly test and stay abreast of the market, but I am curious as to who actually owns Cruzbike and makes these decisions. I know it seems to be a small community and I thought it was Australian owned, but does any one know for certain?

Ken. (Yea! I posted - this time. ;-))

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Another GIF

What made the first GIF so good was the parity between the original images.
This one - isn't quite an apples-to-apples comparison (size-distance-angle-bike config) all play a part.

THAT said - this new animated GIF does offer at least one interesting difference - the headrest.
BTW - I am really enjoying reading your well considered responses and commentary on the V20.
Such a passionate and engaged group - love it.

V2_0vsV2_2.gif

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
That is a weird looking

That is a weird looking headrest.

I think it is probably just the angle of the photo and the cover not being fitted well - or a headrest frame that was relieved - or both...

The flashing yellow-red seems to make the red look more dull but that could be a lighting and contrast issue.

Kind of reminds me of one of those squeezable figures where the eyes bulge out when you squeeze it.

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I agree with many of the

I agree with many of the comments here, but most importantly, I agree with Bob as far as the bottom line goes. Cruzbike is a small company and needs to make sure they pay attention to their bottom line. (I, too, think the old boom looked better).

I think it will be interesting to see what Cruzbike does that is equivalent to the bottom bracket extension for the Silvio.

Kenneth Jessett

John

Ratz, I agree about your comments re. John, he has always been very willing to respond kindly to my direct messages to him. I like Aussies. :) I have also been had nice conversations with Maria. I like Yanks - well I should, since I live here :)

But this comment from Kim above led me to wonder who was really Mr. Big:

"Now its just another colored recumbent, what a waste. Marketing advantage lost in one pot of paint. Bring back yellow !"

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Kenneth,Unofficially since

Kenneth,

Unofficially since I'm not 100% certain.

John - Inventor, Mastermind, Mad Scientist
Jim - Evangelist, Sales, Marketing, TroubleMaker
Maria - Sales, Support, Record Holder and Chief Ass kicker
Doug - Support, Solutions, and Chief Hacksaw
Misc - Team of people in Manufacturing

And I do believe now
Kim - Beta Rider #2, Keeper of the photos and evangelist
Robert - Builder, Distributor, and newbie relations.....

And then the resellers around the world and the people I am not aware of missing from the above list.

It's a team from what we see here; but it's John baby and thankfully one that him openly takes feedback from us crazies on without getting insulted. See the tea leaves thread if there is any doubt.

Not many companies where you could have this thread on their company forum...

Lief

Guru Schmuru
HUGE point

this is a HUGE point by the way.

Ratz said:
Not many companies where you could have this thread on their company forum...
With a company as distributed as Cruzbike I think they lean heavily on trust and "doing what is right".
The decisions and decision makers depend on a lot of that coming from this community and it has been cultivated by the core group that Ratz mentioned up there.
And you can be damn sure they are reading this.
And some of the above might sting just a little. (supposition on my part)
And some of it might even rekindle feelings they've had about arguments in other places and between each other.
And if they were a different company of people they might even be figuring out how to stop that sting or squelch this conversation

BUT

I don't think that they are - they are embracing it DESPITE the sting - because THIS is exactly what will make things resonate down the road - between each other, their tribe, and MORE riders.

This is deep in the weeds passion about a product and the arc of it's development by a very engaged bunch and EVERY company ought to manage this sort of conversation so that it can occur with their tribe no matter how "big" they are - without it they miss the most important and nuanced conversations in their tribe and therefore the most important bits TO their tribe (ala Seth Godin) that can be extended FOR their tribe and then by extension to others.

At heart I think Cruzbike the company acts a lot like a family and they know that most (perhaps all) of us are here contributing because deep down we believe in the core of the reason why they exist. It's something along the lines of "Revolution of Recumbents" - like Apple's "think different" motto - or like one of John's early statements repeated on the Silvio page for so long "It's a road-bike Jim, but like none other that's come before." (paraphrase)

We also feel like we know them - the people. Imagine providing any of the above descriptors for the principals of any other company - typically you can't. Even if you've personally met them.

We WANT(need?) to see the product as a reflection of that core belief so that others, who weren't convinced before, can recognize it and share that deep-seated belief with us as well.

A well run family...er company...listens to it's tribe, puts things out there, let's it sting a little, and evolves some more...
And a well run base of passionate folks who are encouraged to voice their well reasoned opinions - make things better for the family of which they too are a part.

Do ^that^ right and the most important parts and, yes the profits...will improve because of it.

That is why I say Ratz has a HUGE point.

Also why I say - "Keep up the good work!" to both this community and Cruzbike.

final thought:

I think it would be cool if John or Doug would chime in here just a bit and point out some of the drivers for any of the more nuanced design decisions that have been made, or Jim/Maria/Robert maybe some of the business/market drivers for some of what has been mentioned.

Less as a "facing the music" approach but more as a "does that provide clarity and purpose and perhaps change how you think?"
An answer of "no" would be every bit as meaningful as "yes".

Jeremy S

Dude
My bet is that a

My bet is that a featherweight, all carbon fiber, all yellow Vendetta V10 model is around the corner (because why label the bike with the seat angle if you don't offer multiple seat angles). One can dream.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The new boom setup is not

The new boom setup is not "lead pipe" at all. It is indeed about as light as can be as it is without losing stiffness. A carbon boom/slider would still need to have an insert on both ends to mount the BB and the handlebars, and - while I am not a CF expert - doubt there would be a ton of weight savings there. The V20 fork is very light already considering it has to take the entire drivetrain of the bike.

LarryOz

I'm liking your thinking Jeremy!!

I'll make sure I save some green for that yellow V10!
(Of course 20 degrees is pretty flat - They might have to provide a built in periscope for 10 degrees!
Great discourse Bob, Lief - - I mimic the thoughts and agree to verbalize: John, Jim, Maria, Doug, others on the Cruzbike team - we as a Cruzbike community (hmm "tribe") are behind you.

Ride low - pedal hard!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What is the weight of the new

What is the weight of the new S30 / V20 boom compared to the V2.0 boom, AND relative torsional stiffness?

I personally MUCH prefer the AWE and WOW factor of the BIG yellow V2.0 boom, which is Big, Bold and Beautiful!!

I think that by changing the colour and especially the huge boom with a very large and readable (CRUZBIKE) emblazoned across it, that the identification of Maria winner the RAM, 24 hour, and 12 hour records with THAT bike will be lost!

Why can't the V2.0 boom be standard on both the S30 and the V20!!! I think everyone would be willing to pay an extra $200 to $300 for it!!!

Can we have replies from anyone willing to pay extra for the V2.0 boom!!!

I LIKE the bright colour of the V2.0 boom, instead of a dull BLACK, which is trying to HIDE the fact that it is a moving Bottom Bracket Recumbent!

SS