Waiting is hard to do.

Tuloose

Guru

My Silvio frame arrived over 2 weeks ago.
Today my wheels arrived - nothing else.
I'm anxious to get on the road.
Ahh, but good things come to those who wait.
Is anyone else still waiting on the components?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I feel your pain

I'm not waiting for components or building a new Silvio, but I am thinking about a Vendetta in 2014 and I need a savings plan that won't deprive my wife and kids of the good life too.

Remember to post pics as you go along; it seems that Ivan set the bar, but we're all eager to see more!

Waiting also

I'm watching the clock for the business day to open in Taiwan to see if my Vendetta frame will ship this evening.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Ahh but they are definitely

Ahh but they are definitely worth the wait. I waited a looooooong time for mine and am back waiting again, dang it, but these beasties are really, really fun.

-Eric

Eric, what is the status of your ride?

Eric,

What is the status of your ride?

Also, do you think you would have been hurt worse if you had been riding a DF bike?

Ivan

Guru
Us boys (and some girls) and

Us boys (and some girls) and our toys! Work has been too busy this week to ride much, but surprisingly dropped another kg in the past few weeks. Maybe it's the "cross-training" effect as I only rode DF before but now Silvio is changing my muscle usage, especially upper body. I noticed that push-ups are easier for me now! :)

Yes Eric, how are you doing on the healing, insurance and bike repair?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Waiting for my homeowners

Waiting for my homeowners insurance to process my claim to see what they'll cover before I start buying replacement parts.

Yes, most definitely well protected by the Vendetta cockpit configuration. I was doing over 19mph when I was knocked down, dragged, and my front wheel run over. I suspect I would have had some serious injuries if I had been riding a DF.

I remained clipped in the entire time. The handlebars and bottom seat edge along with the right crank and pedal protected me exceedingly well. My scrapes are mostly healed although there is some slight scarring in the webbing on the sides of my knuckles that is somewhat annoying because it is tight so I'm using lotion and stretching it but otherwise everything mostly just looks like pink new skin right now.

The main frame tube and boom didn't suffer any scrapes or other damage - most of that is on the bottom of the chainstay ends so the bike should still look good once I put it back together with replacement parts. I'll probably lightly sand where the paint got scraped and chipped off on the chainstays and try out the touch-up paint John sends with the framesets.

Getting a bit faster on the the Quest, but not as much fun, or as fast as the Vendetta:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1607808

I want to try and get the Vendetta down to do the Texas Time Trials 24 hour, September 20-21 but it depends on if I can get the bike ready in time.

http://www.tt24tt.com/index.html

-Eric

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Eric. I wish we were neighbors!

I would happily restore the finsh on your chainstay. Painting and refinishing bikes is my hobby. Hopefully your Vendetta is back on the road soon or even replaced completely.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Andrew! I've seen some

Thanks Andrew! I've seen some of your photos, you do outstanding work.

Truth be told if it were more visible I might be more concerned but to some extent it is a bike, it gets ridden and dirty and scuffed no matter how careful you are so I don't agonize over it. I bought it to ride although it is fun to admire and look at too.

You should see my iPhone 5. I'm not a stick it in a case to keep it pristine kind of person, You should see the wear and patina I have acquired - it has a lot of character and likely deters thieves to boot. :D

-Eric

DrPaul65

I'm waiting for the Shimano

I'm waiting for the Shimano hydraulic road disc brakes with r785 di2 system and 11-speed ultegra di2.
Due in November
regular_smile.gif

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
This setup sounds way cool,

This setup sounds way cool, please post build photos and keep us informed on how it all works out:
I'm waiting for the Shimano hydraulic road disc brakes with r785 di2 system and 11-speed ultegra di2.

-Eric

Tuloose

Guru
Coming together

The component package arrived yesterday except for a missing bottom bracket bearing set.
I picked up the bearings at my LBS today and I might have it ready to ride tomorrow.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Eric

I don't own an iPhone, but had an iPod Touch that looked like it went to heck and back...until I dropped it in the toilet. I iPods don't float. EVERYONE else puts their iPhone in a case.and they never get to enjoy the design and feel of its materials.

Tuloose

Guru
Assembly instructions are out!

I'm glad that CruzBike finally posted the assembly instructions for the Silvio 2.0.
This should makes things go a lot smoother.
I wish they had included something about how to deal with the problem of the small chain ring interference with the bottom bracket pinch clamp on the Ultegra build kit.
After grinding & filing away for hours last night I finally realized that the lower tabs on the small chain ring needed to be completely cut off.

Tuloose

Guru
So far

So far I have found these problems with the assembly of my Silvio:

Missing bottom bracket bearings.

Derailleur cable housing for right side brifter to the cable stop on the fork was about 6" too short.

The problem with figuring out how to prevent the interference between the small chain ring and the bottom bracket pinch clamp. Maybe in the future the chain rings could come already modified?

The cap screws included with the scissors clamp that locks the head rest in place were 10mm too short. According to the assembly sheet they should be 135mm X 5MM. Neither my LBS or the hardware store had metric cap screws in that length so I had to settle for 140mm. These were not threaded all the way to the head of the screw so in addition to having to cut off 5mm I had to take a die and run the threads down a bit further, a job made more difficult as the screws were extremely hard.
I still was not able to get the clamp to spread properly. The head of the screw ran into the top of the scissor clamp before the tip of the screw made contact with the seat tube. I resorted to wedging in a wood shim under the screw.

Although this is no one's fault except Shimano's I found that running the right side derailleur cable through the brifter exceedingly difficult. I had no problem with the left side but the right side required a lot of patience. It did not look like the directions in the instruction sheet. I'm pretty sure my lack of bicycle mechanic chops contributed to the problem.

I'm not trying to be overly critical here. I really just want to point out the problems I have had so other people putting together their Silvios can benefit from my experience.
I had help from Jim & Maria Parker on two occasions during my assembly process. Thank you both very much

Now it's time for me to get outside and learn how to ride this new bike.

Jeremy S

Dude
The head of the screw ran

The head of the screw ran into the top of the scissor clamp before the tip of the screw made contact with the seat tube.
Bruce, I read this and it's left me confused... Maybe your scissor clamp works differently from mine, but the tip of the bolt in mine doesn't make contact with anything. Screwing it in just spreads the clamp.

Also it seems that Silvios now come with two scissor clamps instead of one?

Tuloose

Guru
scissor clamp

Yep, 2 clamps and both are useless.
Turning the screw on mine does nothing - the screw must push against something in order to spread the clamp which is what the instructions indicate.
I went out to the garage to ride the bike and I grabbed the back by the head rest and it pulled right out of the seat tube and the clamp fell down the tube.
So much for the wood wedge I put under the screw in an attempt to make the clamp work.

On a happier note I was able to ride the bike after a few tries.
I'm not ready to join the peloton yet but I did make it around the block a few times, albeit rather shakily.

Jeremy S

Dude
the screw must push against

EDIT: You're right, my bolt is tight against the inside of the frame tube... I was little confused by your mention of "seat tube".