We did it! We donated to buy an S40 for Ak-Tux!

billyk

Guru
Hello Cruzbike tribe -

Many of you heard via PM that we are raising donations to buy an S40 for Ak-Tux. We did it!

Cruzbike agreed to sell us the bike for half price if we could raise the rest among ourselves. As of today we have done this, thanks to the tribe coming together for this wonderful effort. Thanks most especially to Maria and Jim Parker who gave us this huge discount.

We are preparing a blog post which will include photos and stories of the delivery, but for you all on this Forum, here's the news:

Before Christmas, we conceived the gift, based on Ak-Tux's many contributions to the life on this Forum. He started the MBB movement in Kenya, building his own homemade bike from ideas he saw here and on the web. He taught others to do the same. He's been a vigorous participant on the Forum, sharing videos of rides around Nairobi and offering much knowledgeable advice. Maria and Jim responded enthusiastically, offering the discount and getting this started.

We asked many of you for donations via PM, since we needed to keep the secret until we knew we had raised enough money.

So far, 21 people have contributed, and we have met our goal! We are going ahead! Wow!

I will deliver the bike to Ak-Tux on a trip to Tanzania, leaving March 23. He is overwhelmed by this news. He will meet me in Arusha, Tanzania (near the Kenya border), we will assemble the bike, and he will ride it home. Of course there will be video of this.

The discounted price has been sent to Cruzbike, and the bike is on its way to me. I will use the remainder to cover unexpected expenses of delivery. I can take it on the flight for free, but there will be an unknown amount of customs duties. (A full accounting will be sent to all donors, but names will not be public; I hope that your personal satisfaction at being part of this is enough).

In case there are funds left over, we think it should go to Cruzbike, because of their extreme generosity in giving us the bike at half price, and because we want the business to thrive.

We deeply respect the high level of trust among us that Maria and Jim and all of us have fostered: 21 people sent me a good deal of money without knowing anything about me except that I post on this forum, and Cruzbike sent me an expensive bicycle on nothing more than an internet discussion. Those are remarkable showings of faith and confidence. Beyond the gift, this spirit among us should be celebrated and carried forward.

And thank you to Ak-Tux for inspiring us to do this.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I have no words. I may not know all of you that got together to do this, but Iam humbled by your generosity.

I don't deserve it but Iam deeply grateful to you all. To Jim and Maria Parker, I shall do my best to represent your great company whenever I ride that beautiful bike .

The Bible says it is more blessed to give than to receive. You the cruzbike family are indeed the blessed ones!

My heart is throbbing and I can't wait to see that S40!

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Maria and I are profoundly moved by Cruzbike owners who have found in their love of cycling also a love of the Cruzbike global community.
This is the basis of the Tribe, and we are proud and happy to be members with Ak-Tux and everyone who made his S40 possible.

I hope this Corona virus epidemic does not prevent or significantly delay the travel and delivery of the bicycle.
I know we are all looking forward to it getting into Ak-Tux’s hands.

Jim & Maria

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
@ak-tux

be sure to give your old bike free to someone who deserves it and who will ride it. and thus N+1 is applied to the tribe as well.
My current (old) bike, was hard welded to fit me and is not very adjustable but I will definitely be open to help whoever I will find who shows interest. My first son is growing taller and is almost there, in terms of fit, so will be my first candidate.

In terms of marketing, the finish on my bike was a bit crude and not very attractive to the many cyclists I interacted with. They definitely took note of the speed. I usually point them to the cruzbike site. But hopefully if they see the real thing someone might give it a better consideration.

Ivan_Liew

I have not posted for a long time and only come into the forums occasionally. I happened to come across this forum which such a huge and pleasant surprise. As the owner of a Silvio 2.0 for 6 years and someone who know Ak-Tux from back when I first posted, learned about Cruzbikes, I think this is so very awesome!

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I have not posted for a long time and only come into the forums occasionally. I happened to come across this forum which such a huge and pleasant surprise. As the owner of a Silvio 2.0 for 6 years and someone who know Ak-Tux from back when I first posted, learned about Cruzbikes, I think this is so very awesome!
I've enjoyed your YouTube videos. Any chance of any new posts there?

billyk

Guru

Ivan! Great to hear from you! We miss your posts!
I will shortly post an update on the gift.

billyk

Guru
Hi all. This is an update on the trip to Tanzania to meet @ak-tux and deliver the bike.

As you can all guess, the coronavirus is disrupting this among many other things.

We still plan to go (leave next Monday 23 Mar), but it is up in the air with the many flight cancellations. We fly through Frankfurt and transatlantic flights are being cancelled left and right. As of today our flights are still operating, but that could change at any moment.

Half of our friends say we are absolutely crazy and should be hunkering down at home, the other half says "get out of here while you can"! I imagine that this group would be similarly divided. There is no way to know the right answer and we have to give it our best shot.

We have been social distancing for more than 2 weeks and so have some confidence that we are not bringing the virus to Tanzania ... Unless we catch it while boarding in Seattle airport, or during the overnight in Frankfurt, both hotbeds of the virus. Another big unknown is if we will be able to get home 4 weeks from now. Uncertainty rules!

Bottom line is that there are a LOT of things to worry about these days, here and in Africa. Also a lot of things totally out of our control. I remain optimistic and hope to be on a flight to Africa next Monday evening, with a large bicycle box. I'll keep you posted.

Billy K

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hi all. This is an update on the trip to Tanzania to meet @ak-tux and deliver the bike.

As you can all guess, the coronavirus is disrupting this among many other things.

We still plan to go (leave next Monday 23 Mar), but it is up in the air with the many flight cancellations. We fly through Frankfurt and transatlantic flights are being cancelled left and right. As of today our flights are still operating, but that could change at any moment.

Half of our friends say we are absolutely crazy and should be hunkering down at home, the other half says "get out of here while you can"! I imagine that this group would be similarly divided. There is no way to know the right answer and we have to give it our best shot.

We have been social distancing for more than 2 weeks and so have some confidence that we are not bringing the virus to Tanzania ... Unless we catch it while boarding in Seattle airport, or during the overnight in Frankfurt, both hotbeds of the virus. Another big unknown is if we will be able to get home 4 weeks from now. Uncertainty rules!

Bottom line is that there are a LOT of things to worry about these days, here and in Africa. Also a lot of things totally out of our control. I remain optimistic and hope to be on a flight to Africa next Monday evening, with a large bicycle box. I'll keep you posted.

Billy K
Hello Everyone,
I want to thank you all for the act of generosity. It is a worrying time for everyone around the globe. Here in Kenya, the government has closed all schools and other learning institutions and discourages mass gatherings and none essential travel.

I'd like you to know that I'am grateful no matter the delays and disruptions and I'am happy even if the gift tarry for several months.
Thank you @billyk for your efforts and communication. Please stay safe. If this opportunity closes, I'am sure another one one will open up later or we will find an alternative shipping method. There is no hurry. It shall be well.

God bless you all.

Last edited:

BikeGary

Stay safe @ak-tux! This outbreak is bad. Social distancing is the only means we have to slow this down and prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed.

billyk

Guru
I guess no one will be surprised that our trip was cancelled. We were to leave this afternoon.

I'm very sorry to miss meeting @ak-tux but there is really no choice about it. Events have overtaken us.

We are working on shipping the bike. Fedex and similar would cost about as much as the bike itself, but there are cheaper bulk shippers that we are investigating. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ivan_Liew

I've enjoyed your YouTube videos. Any chance of any new posts there?

Hi Zzzorse... in fact I just uploaded video from an Insta360 camera I have mounted on Silvio now. Check out my post: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/silvio-2-0-s30-and-insta360-one-x-camera.13261/

In fact some time ago, Ak-Tux, also suggested having more of the riders body in the video to provide interest. This was ideal but I haven't been able to get a good position until now.

Sorry, tbe Tanzania trip had to be cancelled but yes, this is not surprising. Take care Billy and awesome work on arranging this for Ak-Tux.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
In fact some time ago, Ak-Tux, also suggested having more of the riders body in the video to provide interest. This was ideal but I haven't been able to get a good position until now.
Very cool video Ivan! And the more you record and edit the videos the better you will get at it!

The Silvio 2.0 with an S40 boom? wow ! And it looks like you are flying indeed!
Those are wonderfully smooth roads too!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I guess no one will be surprised that our trip was cancelled. We were to leave this afternoon.

I'm very sorry to miss meeting @ak-tux but there is really no choice about it. Events have overtaken us.

We are working on shipping the bike. Fedex and similar would cost about as much as the bike itself, but there are cheaper bulk shippers that we are investigating. I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks Billy.

benphyr

Guru-me-not

Bummer about the delay. Keep us posted on what you decide.

billyk

Guru
A further update:

Ak-Tux pointed me to a shipping company that sends household goods to Kenya on a fairly short timescale (2-3 weeks, in normal times). By calling it household goods there is no customs duty. The price is reasonable. It does require some better packaging as it’s likely to be handled several times.

I’ve reinforced the box and just got some expanding-foam inserts that fill up all the empty space and I think will protect it well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OVQLIK/

or search “Instapak”. It’s sealed bags with two chemicals that mix and quickly expand into a firm plastic that conforms to the irregular shape it’s confined in. Seems perfect for a bike in a cardboard box.

Opinions about this method of protection, or other ideas, are welcome. (@benphyr , this sounds like something you might know about).

Then I need to ship the box to the shipping company in Texas for transshipment to Nairobi. But they told me on the phone that everything is in flux - no big surprise - so I’m waiting. Meanwhile, the box is sitting in our living room, but since we have no guest these days it’s not a problem. That’s where things stand.