Well . . . it had to happen sometime

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
First crash on the V20. Tuesday night ride is race night for those who are of that inclination. Especially this year with all races cancelled, the last few weeks since small group rides have restarted in the local riding community, Tuesdays have been extra hot from a pace perspective.

About 18 miles in we had a group of 8. After mostly flat and gently rolling terrain there's a climb of about 500'. Nothing too bad but enough to stress the group on a fast night. Top of the climb is usually where a few will make a move on the following 3-mile, fabulous stretch of road - smooth pavement, nothing over about 4% and wide open visibility (read, windy.) We cressted the climb and immediately jumped to about 28.5mph in a pretty tight pack because of the head wind when, from the back of the rotating pace line I noticed a small gap forming. Then it happened . . .

One of the riders (all DF other than me) decided to close the gap by standing in the pedals and that's all it took. There was nowhere near enough room for someone to stand and dig hard. He caught the wheel of the guy right in front of me. Now way I could avoid it at that pace. Three of us went down hard.

Interesting thing, crashing on a CB. First off, crashing on a V at 28.5mph is way nicer than at the same speed on a DF. I have several personal data points to support that notion. I went down on my left side and ended up with nothing more than some road rash on my left elbow, hand and, oddly enough, my right butt cheek - the last being the worst of it. Still trying to figure that out.

The bike doesn't seem to have a scratch on it but the tires - both front and back - are completely shredded. Front tire bead torn off half the circumference of the wheel and pulled about 1/3 pulled entirely off the rim. Rear tire also pulled off the rim in one spot. And as if to add insult to injury, after we all stood up and were looking at the bikes, the last of my tubes spontaneously popped. It was like a Warner Brother's cartoon. We all looked around flooking or Wiley Coyote and his trusty anvil or at least the sound effects of a few hub caps spinning in the background!

Will do a detailed bike condition assessment tonight but it looks like it weathered the storm quite well. My guess is that most of the loss of speed came from impact with the bike/rider in front of me because at that speed I would have expected bar tape and seat damage at the least. But of course as most of you know, you tend to lose some of those rapid fire details.

All in all, aside from now owing my wife a dinner for the road side rescue, things could have been much worse.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
my right butt cheek - the last being the worst of it. Still trying to figure that out.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

I have crashed twice on my recumbent and each time my butt came out the worst and the soreness persisted for a week. I concluded that it's becuase it is the closest point to the ground.

Nowadays I double layer my recumbent cycling shorts. If could make a recumbent specific cycling shorts, I would put a special anti-crash/road rash layer around the butt and hip area. Secondly some special anti-road rash elbow covers of some kind.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I’m not sure if it’s my own saying or if somebody else I said it before but “ The more considerate you are the more you notice call inconsiderate others are”. No matter how spicy it right gets by always make sure not to lunch my rear wheel back when standing for the exact reason you described. On the other hand I usually do read the intentions of the riders around me in an attempt to predict when they’ll perform such a move.

best of luck healing up fast, I too went through the no skin left on the but check. It makes wearing pants or sitting almost impossible for a week or so. I literally took two weeks off work because of it.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
First crash on the V20. Tuesday night ride is race night for those who are of that inclination. Especially this year with all races cancelled, the last few weeks since small group rides have restarted in the local riding community, Tuesdays have been extra hot from a pace perspective.

About 18 miles in we had a group of 8. After mostly flat and gently rolling terrain there's a climb of about 500'. Nothing too bad but enough to stress the group on a fast night. Top of the climb is usually where a few will make a move on the following 3-mile, fabulous stretch of road - smooth pavement, nothing over about 4% and wide open visibility (read, windy.) We cressted the climb and immediately jumped to about 28.5mph in a pretty tight pack because of the head wind when, from the back of the rotating pace line I noticed a small gap forming. Then it happened . . .

One of the riders (all DF other than me) decided to close the gap by standing in the pedals and that's all it took. There was nowhere near enough room for someone to stand and dig hard. He caught the wheel of the guy right in front of me. Now way I could avoid it at that pace. Three of us went down hard.

Interesting thing, crashing on a CB. First off, crashing on a V at 28.5mph is way nicer than at the same speed on a DF. I have several personal data points to support that notion. I went down on my left side and ended up with nothing more than some road rash on my left elbow, hand and, oddly enough, my right butt cheek - the last being the worst of it. Still trying to figure that out.

The bike doesn't seem to have a scratch on it but the tires - both front and back - are completely shredded. Front tire bead torn off half the circumference of the wheel and pulled about 1/3 pulled entirely off the rim. Rear tire also pulled off the rim in one spot. And as if to add insult to injury, after we all stood up and were looking at the bikes, the last of my tubes spontaneously popped. It was like a Warner Brother's cartoon. We all looked around flooking or Wiley Coyote and his trusty anvil or at least the sound effects of a few hub caps spinning in the background!

Will do a detailed bike condition assessment tonight but it looks like it weathered the storm quite well. My guess is that most of the loss of speed came from impact with the bike/rider in front of me because at that speed I would have expected bar tape and seat damage at the least. But of course as most of you know, you tend to lose some of those rapid fire details.

All in all, aside from now owing my wife a dinner for the road side rescue, things could have been much worse.
Heal up fast Paul. I have never been in a multi-bike accident with my Vendetta, but because of how aggressively I usually ride I have still had plenty of road rash (with front flat going really fast or front wheel slipping out because of rain or sand) - Go to the doctor and ask for "Silvaderm" prescription, and buy a pack of Duo-derm patches. Put the Duo-derm patches on with the Silvaderm ointment on them and seal the sides. If you seal it good enough and it doesn't pull off it will heal the wound about 3-times faster and there will be no scabs to worry about. It gests super gooyt and stinky in there, so you will know if it pulls off (If it does, clean it up and do it again) This is what they give burn victims and it works so great! New skins grows without all the primordial fluid and you are as good an new much faster!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master

I with you a speedy recovery.

I am also curious how the other 2 riders on DF turned out because now you can directly compare.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
The guy who caused the crash didn’t have a scratch! The guy he took down was pretty banged up - way worse shape than me - but nothing too serious. His front fork and wheel were in pretty rough shape

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Heal up fast Paul. I have never been in a multi-bike accident with my Vendetta, but because of how aggressively I usually ride I have still had plenty of road rash (with front flat going really fast or front wheel slipping out because of rain or sand) - Go to the doctor and ask for "Silvaderm" prescription, and buy a pack of Duo-derm patches. Put the Duo-derm patches on with the Silvaderm ointment on them and seal the sides. If you seal it good enough and it doesn't pull off it will heal the wound about 3-times faster and there will be no scabs to worry about. It gests super gooyt and stinky in there, so you will know if it pulls off (If it does, clean it up and do it again) This is what they give burn victims and it works so great! New skins grows without all the primordial fluid and you are as good an new much faster!
Larry, that is VERY good advice, and should have its own heading or directory!

Norton

Great advice Larry. My wife is a wound care nurse and did just that on a bad elbow scrap I had. Feels so much better and heals up faster.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I always try not to fall off, but falling off a 'bent is preferable to falling off a DF. But the chorus is well rehearsed. Altogether now - "Oo, that thing does not look safe to me."

Judging by what happened to your tyres I am surprised that your wheels are not bent.

I wish you a speedy recovery. You have skin in the game.

Bill Wightman

First crash on the V20.
Glad you survived the ordeal without broken bones. I agree crashing on a recumbent is way nicer. My last crash was even better than yours. About three weeks ago during the 2020 TTs I got distracted and went off road in some mud going about 27 mph and hit a giant mud puddle on the side of the road. Total soft landing, no significant damage, covered in muddy water, almost fun.