Wipeout Wound: Healing Lost Skin, Road Rash

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I have never been in a multi-bike accident with my Vendetta, but because of how aggressively I usually ride I have still had plenty of road rash (with front flat going really fast or front wheel slipping out because of rain or sand) - Go to the doctor and ask for "Silvaderm" prescription, and buy a pack of Duo-derm patches. Put Duo-derm patches on with Silvaderm ointment on them and seal the sides. If you seal it good enough and it doesn't pull off it will heal the wound about 3-times faster and there will be no scabs to worry about. It gets super gooyt and stinky in there, so you will know if it pulls off (If it does, clean it up and do it again) This is what they give burn victims and it works so great! New skins grows without all the primordial fluid and you are as good an new much faster!

Heal up fast Paul.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Hello Cruzers
I'm still learning to ride my new v20 and yesterday on Indiana Nickel Plate I hit a walnut and ended up in the side ditch. Badly scraped forearm. Thank you for your Road Rash first aid recommendation.

BTW, how long does it take for the average Joe to get really comfortable on a Cruzbike? I've been doing 5 miles or LESS for 15 rides and my v20 exhausts me from tension. I've ridden and raced the DF for a LONG time and the Cruzbike pedal steer and balance issues are frustrating ...

Thanks in advance for any Cruzers reply ...

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sorry to hear of you accident Dave, and hope you recover soon.

As for how long it takes for the average Joe to get really comfortable I guess it depends on a few things, but if you have already done about 100 miles then you are surely heading in the right direction. I went from about 10K kilometers a year on my DF bikes straight to a V20 and it took me about 2 weeks of riding around my neighborhood before I felt comfortable enough to take it to the bike path on the river (6km away) without veering into traffic and getting flattened by a truck. I can tell you that it was way less than 100 miles though so you should be proficient enough on it to take it out for a proper spin. On the river, I still had a few harrowing moments and almost managed to not keep it on an 18m wide road. I think I stopped letting out the occasional scream after about a week of solid riding there, and have only had a few incidents during hard efforts that were over an 8 on the Pucker scale. I finally cured my death grip after about a month but at least my biceps and my forearms were getting a great workout.

Start taking it out for longer rides, and if it is open enough, start focusing on using light touches to make it turn where you want. Forget hanging on tight, you aren't going to fall off, and it isn't going to help much in going faster anyway once you get up to speed. If your usual path is wide enough and no one else is around, try finding marks on the ground such as a leaf or whatever, and try steering the bike over that mark.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Learn the figure 8 with 1 foot in the clips. Oddly with the Vendetta it pays dividends if you can balance at low speed. Once that is mastered try going out on the roads. I remember my first bridge over a freeway. I went over it today. Getting up it was one thing and going down at quantum speed was another. I prefer to go out when there aren't so many cars on the road.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
CruzerGuyz
Thank you A LOT for your valuable experience.

Neighborhood rides seem to be in order rather than my usual DF 20 miler on the rail trail.

Rode a one mile Neighborhood loop this morning and it felt the best yet.

My death grip is more than likely hindering rather than helping.

It's coming ... next year I'll be catching or whipping the Cruzbike stranger I passed often on my DF. Looking forward to meeting the soon no longer a stranger. He is the only other Cruzer I ever see.

BTW, he's not a Vendetta rider, sits pretty much upright and I followed him once at his 15 - 20 mph pedaling.

Super FUN learning to be a member of the Cruzbike Tribe ...
Later
ID

billyk

Guru
I could stay upright on my Q (older version) right away, could ride bike trails and quiet streets, but was at least 3 months of daily commuting before I felt truly comfortable in city traffic.

Yeah, the death grip is an important sign. That was me at first. Try loosening your grip little by little. In a parking lot or quiet bike trail, either just pull back with fingertips, or just press forward with the heels of your hands.

I found it a lot easier to learn this by always keeping pedaling with some pressure, coasting was harder. Keeping positive pedal pressure teaches you control of the steering with your feet.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Thank you guys for your valuable experience.
I rode 20 miles today and I'm getting more and more comfortable.

Had no idea when I purchased a V20 frameset there was this balance learning curve.

Pretty exciting teaching an old dog new tricks !
ID

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Hi IndianaDave,

It took me about 1000 miles to get all the way through the learning curve. That was six years ago, and I haven't looked back since. My angry lower back that took me off D-frame road bikes turned out to be a blessing.

Enjoy the ride.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Chico
Thank you for sharing your experience learning how to be a Cruzer.

I'm thinking I will mirror you ...

It's getting better and easier, but at just over 100 miles, I'm still pretty wobbly.

My last 50 miles have been on the shady Nickel Plate Trail between Kokomo and Peru, Indiana.

I'm choosing late afternoon when the trail isn't busy and riding right down the middle of the 10 foot wide Trail.

So ,,, Let's RIDE ...20210912_114216.jpg

Duncanleon

"BTW, how long does it take for the average Joe to get really comfortable on a Cruzbike? I've been doing 5 miles or LESS for 15 rides and my v20 exhausts me from tension. I've ridden and raced the DF for a LONG time and the Cruzbike pedal steer and balance issues are frustrating ..."

After completing my conversion build from my DF after riding for almost 50 years to a brand new V20, I sat in the seat for the first time, staring at the ceiling. I suddenly realised that this was not going to be as easy as the hype and my brain had decided that it would be. I followed the You Tube Videos on the baby steps (Important!) once I was able to pick both feet up off the ground and gain a little more speed, the curbs didnt appear to be so formidable. My neighborhood, that first 2 weeks saw 3 pretty spectacular crashes with some pretty bloody road rashes on my elbow before I changed venue to smoother roads with less traffic in a protected park. Similar to you, I started with 5 mile trips and lots of figure 8's. Getting used to riding involved convincing my brain with modifications to the typical DF stopping process specific to when to put your feet down in a panic. Another forced lesson was how to identify road hazards before you hit them since you can't jump over them. Finally if you tip over, Then fall to the left away from the Deraileurs... These are the three most signifiant lessons that once mastered, brought my confidence level up to a point where I could begin to focus on relaxing and pedaling rather than simply holding on. Timing to get to this point was 3 times a week starting at 5 miles per trip and eventually buildinng up to 20 miles a ride in a span of 4 weeks.

I started with sneakers, blue jeans and T shirts and during this period I bought some skateboard elbow pads. They worked well. Now I just bring them with me to threaten me if I see myself getting too cocky. At the end of the 6th week I was tweaking the Fit to the BB and my uniform graduated to riding shorts and my HHH100 jersey from 2018 Then on with clipless pedals and SPD mountain bike shoes from the DF. At 10 weeks I gave up on the water bottle brackets and installed side panniers under the seat to hold drinking water bladders. Peak speeds during this time were slowly evlolving from 10 MPH to about 15 to 17. as soon as I was able to confidently hold 20 mph for more than a few seconds and relax my arms enough to be able to signal and use one hand for drinking at speed, I began to expand my rides to 30 mile with occasional 50 miletrips and I tried to go out a minmum of 2 times a week. Ive been doing this for about 5 months now, so with that regimine, my average speeds have been building up slowly with my fitness levels and I generally find that I am doing most of the pulling in my rider's pelotons. They simply cant maintain the power and speed if there's any kind of wind like the C20 can. I can honestly say now that jumping on the bike is like sliding into a comfortable pair of cowboy boots. Really comfortable. Best part is not hurting all over when you're done.

Give it time and stay enthusiastic. Eventually the rest of you will start to beleive it too

Len Duncan

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
LD
Thank you for sharing your CB learning experience.

Today I did my second 20 miler. Still a bit wobbly here and there, but I'm gaining confidence and starting to wonder if it is time to put on the cleats ...

Man, is this old dog having fun learning new tricks ...
ID20210913_082733.jpg

billyk

Guru
Had no idea when I purchased a V20 frameset there was this balance learning curve.

Me neither! After a decade on traditional recumbents, I went looking for one with full size wheels, not too low, disk brakes, and rear suspension (in that order). I saw the Quest v2 which had all that, and just thought "I've been riding all kinds of bikes forever, including unicycles. FWD can't be that big of a deal". Didn't give it much thought, really.

Well like I said above, I could stay upright pretty quick, but having good enough control to ride confidently in city traffic took months.

On the other hand, once you get the feel, it's actually easier to manage because your feet give you powerful control of the steering, beyond just forward power. This will become natural enough that no-hands riding is much easier than on an upright bike.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Me neither! After a decade on traditional recumbents, I went looking for one with full size wheels, not too low, disk brakes, and rear suspension (in that order). I saw the Quest v2 which had all that, and just thought "I've been riding all kinds of bikes forever, including unicycles. FWD can't be that big of a deal". Didn't give it much thought, really.

Well like I said above, I could stay upright pretty quick, but having good enough control to ride confidently in city traffic took months.

On the other hand, once you get the feel, it's actually easier to manage because your feet give you powerful control of the steering, beyond just forward power. This will become natural enough that no-hands riding is much easier than on an upright bike.

hmm I can ride my sofrider no hands but not the vendetta. My bb is high on the v.
So now I don’t try no hands on the v. Probably just me.
I can ride the brevet and hurricane no hands. Df too.
I feel very stable on the v and it is my favourite bike of all. It’s also the fastest.