What’s Your Angle!? Why?

Velocivixen

Since I’m a beginner “Cruzer” I set up the seat how Robert recommended. Seems pretty upright & Im okay with that now, but sense that I’ll want to try out different recline levels As I get comfortable riding. My question is: Did you change your recline after you learned how to ride it & if so, what did that do in relation to your riding inputs? I’m just wondering if it would be easier to wait until I’m more proficient, then recline more or just set it now & learn it while I’m still green?
Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

woodguy

I originally set up my Q45 pretty upright also. After about 3 months of learning, I did a week long 600 mile trip across Kansas. I experienced some recumbutt on that ride, so decided to get a Thor seat, which is contoured, and more reclined (It’s at about 34 degrees). That takes some of the considerable weight of my engine off my butt, and puts it on my back. Much more comfortable, and no re-learning needed in how to ride the Cruzbike. So - for me it’s about comfort. I don’t think it would be a problem to experiment with different angles while you’re learning.

I originally set up my Q45 pretty upright also. After about 3 months of learning, I did a week long 600 mile trip across Kansas. I experienced some recumbutt on that ride, so decided to get a Thor seat, which is contoured, and more reclined (It’s at about 34 degrees). That takes some of the considerable weight of my engine off my butt, and puts it on my back. Much more comfortable, and no re-learning needed in how to ride the Cruzbike. So - for me it’s about comfort. I don’t think it would be a problem to experiment with different angles while you’re learning.
Which Thor seat did you use to replace the stock seat on your Q45?

Velocivixen

@woodguy - is that the angle you started with right away or was it an evolution? Im wondering, for example, what would happen is I reclined it way back? Would that make it easier to master? I can ride & I notice new things each time I ride it, but I have to be very focused riding next to other people on a path. It’s exhausting, so I mostly try to ride where there are fewer people.

woodguy

Velocivixen - I did my initial learning with the stock seat. Attached is a picture of what it looked like at that time. In looking at the picture now, it is more laid back than I remember. When I switched to the Thor seat, I had already put about 1,000 miles in, and there really wasn’t much of an adjustment. I pretty much used the process on the website for my learning. I still do some figure 8’s now if I haven’t been on the bike for a while just to get some coordination back. I don’t seek out areas to ride that are crowded, but I’m comfortable enough to handle lots of traffic if it’s there. I encourage you to just keep getting out there. After a while it becomes natural.

Attachments

• 731F7E0B-E24C-48B9-9411-F51AEE62E1D2.jpeg
    731F7E0B-E24C-48B9-9411-F51AEE62E1D2.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26

Tuloose

Guru
I can ride & I notice new things each time I ride it, but I have to be very focused riding next to other people on a path. It’s exhausting, so I mostly try to ride where there are fewer people.
Being a little wobbly initially is pretty common.
It took me a few months of Cruzing before I was comfortable riding next to others.
It has to do with using your arms to counteract the pedal force.
Each time you push with your right foot you give a slight pull with your right arm and vice versa.
It's a very slight pull - more like a stiffening of the forearm.
Robert Holler compares it doing isometrics.
After awhile it becomes ingrained in your brain and you won't even think about it.

Velocivixen

@Tuloose - Yeah, it so interesting how I can come back to the Q45 after a couple days off from riding & notice that I’ve improved compared to the prior rides. I’ve mentioned ‘processing’ before but my nature is to allow my system to run in the background, then the next time I’ll note improvements. The last couple days of riding, for example, I have noted a sudden understanding of how to position my feet/legs to turn. So now as I ride around I will aim for things like shadows on the path to see if I can steer, intentionally, where I want to go. I even managed a slow U-turn at a quiet intersection.

bhave

I also got the Thor GS Easy Large for my Q45. I bought the Thor headrest with it. Here is what mine looks like:
Thank you for the photo. This is very helpful. I had installed my seat with only one mounting bracket attached to the pegs that are closer to the rear wheel. The result is a comfortable, reclined angle. The trouble with this, is there is not enough weight on the front wheel causing it to slip when I'm cranking hard. Yesterday, I went out for my usual ride with this setup and was easily 2mph faster than previously with the stock seat. This is after being on vacation for two weeks with no riding. I'm going to move the seat up to the forward mounts. I was thinking inverting the seatpost, as you have, causing the bend to angle slightly downward.

woodguy

Thank you for the photo. This is very helpful. I had installed my seat with only one mounting bracket attached to the pegs that are closer to the rear wheel. The result is a comfortable, reclined angle. The trouble with this, is there is not enough weight on the front wheel causing it to slip when I'm cranking hard. Yesterday, I went out for my usual ride with this setup and was easily 2mph faster than previously with the stock seat. This is after being on vacation for two weeks with no riding. I'm going to move the seat up to the forward mounts. I was thinking inverting the seatpost, as you have, causing the bend to angle slightly downward.
Interesting that you have trouble with wheel slip. That has not been a problem for me. I was originally concerned about inverting the seat post. Would I lose stability, or hit the tire on a bump? Neither one have been a problem.

I also use the thor gs. I think the angle its about 33 degrees (hard to tell because the seat has some curvature) I don't use or need or have a neck or head rest. pics posted on "disadvantage of flat seat" thread

Velocivixen

I see that folks are still commenting on this thread. I will admit that I have not ridden my Q45 for a month! Summer with heat is my least favorite time to ride - too many others on trails & roads. Many who ’only’ ride in summer & often do not know basic cycling etiquette.

I will wait for the summertime human density decreases (literally & figuratively), then will continue on with my Cruzbike education.