What crank arms/ should I use?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Thanks for getting back to me on this and for all the images.

I've had nothing but problems. Today I discovered:

1. My derailleur hanger does not work correctly with the Eagle AXS GX derailleur. The screw holes are not concentric with each other so the screw was at an angle and cross-threaded. I had to modify the piece that the hanger screwed into so that there was enough clearance. This made the derailleur mount correctly but did not end my problems. See this thread I had with Robert:

2. Basically, the derailleur won't shift from gear 12 to gear 11 and when it gets to gear 5, all hell brakes lose and I can't get enough micro adjust range to make it shift properly in the lower gears. I noticed that I can wiggle the cage back and forth very easily and I see a rivet in the derailleur is lose. That could be the problem.

3. I use the SRAM tool to adjust my b-screw and it works fine, but I'm at the limit of adjustment. If I had to add more chain, I would need a longer b-screw.

4. I have my limits setup just fine. No issues there.

There's a CruzBike dealer in San Antonio TX. I live in Austin. I'm trying to get an appointment to have them look at my drivetrain. If the derailleur is damaged, I'll see if they can help me get a warranty return from SRAM. I've had bad luck getting help locally as no one wants to touch a recumbent.

I am curious how many links you use in your chain.

Last edited:

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Hmm. 126 would not work for me at all. I'm using 129 and I think it may be a little tight. Must be the difference between a V20 and V20C.

. I've had bad luck getting help locally as no one wants to touch a recumbent.
Sorry this is giving such troubles and I hope you are able to get them resolved soon.

I have never tried to get a shop to work on the bike so I'm a bit curious if they decline to work on it simply because they hear the word "recumbent." The Cruzebike drive train is indeed just about identical to a diamond frame and I'm under the impression that it should be well within their mechanics understanding and ability. To me that is one of the really great things about these bikes.

I'm running a different setup that you are but a 126 link chain works great. Here is my setup:
Shimano 8000 cable actuated on my V20c
Compact crank: 34-50
11-40 cassette

This configuration is outside of the Shimano maximums but it is working great. I can fully cross chain (34 to 11 or 50 to 40). I get some chain rub when cross chained but that is all.

This same setup works on my diamond frame but it shifts much smoother on the V20c. I'm not sure why this is - perhaps gravity helps on the V.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Sorry this is giving such troubles and I hope you are able to get them resolved soon.

I have never tried to get a shop to work on the bike so I'm a bit curious if they decline to work on it simply because they hear the word "recumbent." The Cruzebike drive train is indeed just about identical to a diamond frame and I'm under the impression that it should be well within their mechanics understanding and ability. To me that is one of the really great things about these bikes.

I'm running a different setup that you are but a 126 link chain works great. Here is my setup:
Shimano 8000 cable actuated on my V20c
Compact crank: 34-50
11-40 cassette

This configuration is outside of the Shimano maximums but it is working great. I can fully cross chain (34 to 11 or 50 to 40). I get some chain rub when cross chained but that is all.

This same setup works on my diamond frame but it shifts much smoother on the V20c. I'm not sure why this is - perhaps gravity helps on the V.
Thanks for the feedback. The bike shops don't think they can put the recumbents in their work stands, so they won't work on them. My closest shop is a Trek store and they won't work on it because of insurance. They said their insurance requires that they are professionally trained on the bike models they work on. I think these shops have too much business and no competition or they would be more hungry. I toured around the whole US perimeter last year and never had a bike shop turn me down. I think it's mostly big city shops that don't want to deal with recumbents.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I think my issues stem from a bad derailleur. I discovered that if I lightly move my cage back and forth, one of the rivets is loose. I've contacted the vender to see if I can get a warranty return. I attached a video of this. There are two rivets. The top one is loose.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Thanks for the feedback. The bike shops don't think they can put the recumbents in their work stands, so they won't work on them. My closest shop is a Trek store and they won't work on it because of insurance. They said their insurance requires that they are professionally trained on the bike models they work on. I think these shops have too much business and no competition or they would be more hungry. I toured around the whole US perimeter last year and never had a bike shop turn me down. I think it's mostly big city shops that don't want to deal with recumbents.
My local Trek shop does all my work on both my S40 and V20. Sounds like recumbent prejudice might be at work at your shop.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Interesting. They're a good shop in other ways. They were helpful and had lots of supplies, though they only carry the expensive, high end stuff.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I toured around the whole US perimeter last year and never had a bike shop turn me down. I think it's mostly big city shops that don't want to deal with recumbents.
We have three LBS and a recumbent shop near the capital city. The LBS mechanics have been happy to learn about Cruzbikes, and even attempt test rides after repairs.

The elderly recumbent-shop owner despises Cruzbikes, calling them "dangerous" because he tried one out at a trade show more than a decade ago and couldn't ride it right away. He won't work on any bike anymore that wasn't purchased directly from his shop; if you bought one used from a customer of his who bought it new, that isn't good enough.

He turned the shop into a trikes-only boutique during the pandemic, seeing customers by appointment only. He got rid of the few uprights he had, the kayaks, and even the two-wheeled 'bents.

He's looking for someone to buy the shop. Any of y'all interested in moving to central Mississippi?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I rode through Miss last year. It was very pleasant. The people were friendly and very courteous on the roads.

The Trek LBS helped me put a star nut into my fork steerer tube on the house today. Then they gave me a gift of some bacon strips for doing a review of the store. The general manager told me he has requested a recumbent bike stand and will contact me when it comes in. Oh Boy!!!