What crank arms/ should I use?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I'm upgrading (downgrading?) my 2016 V20 group from Ultegra DI2 to SRAM Rival GX AXS Mullet Groupset - Rival eTap HRD Shifters, GX AXS Rear Derailleur, Battery/Charger, Chain & Cassette. It's 1X12 with a 10-52 cassette. But it doesn't come with the 1X chainring and crank arms. I believe I'll need a 50t chain ring. I noticed that many people on this forum use very short (155 mm) crank arms and I don't know why. My current cranks are 165 mm and they seem fine to me. Also, many people use Q-rings. Again, I don't know if this is worth it. I'm not a racer. In fact, I'm making mods on the bike to use for credit card touring. I need low gears for hills but want decent speeds for tailwinds and shallow downgrades. Finally, I like the idea of no front shifting as it's always problematic in my experience. Any tips on the cranks/BB/Chainrings that are compatible with the V20 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
On my 2018 V20 I have Shimano 105 R7000 165mm cranks with 52/34t chainrings, and they have worked perfectly since day 1. You can also get them in a 50/34t and just remove the 34t ring. My Force AXS FD works perfectly so I don't think you'll have any FD problems if you install it, but if you want to save a few grams of weight by removing the 34t inner ring, and saving even more weight by making it a 1x system without a FD or heavy shifter then that should be fine. Of course Ultegra and Dura Ace are steps up from 105, but in light of crank arm failures under heavy loads with those two I decided to stay with the more robust 105 crank arms. Keep in mind this is me over-estimating my actual power as I haven't seen +800w in a while on any ride.

Back to the FD, and the problems you had... there are many possible issues so I won't try to guess which caused your problems, but the AXS FD works flawlessly on my V20. So, I don't think you should have any fear about it shifting properly between the front 2 rings if you go with a 2x system. Whether you can get the right chain tension with a 2x system with that 10x50 cassette is out of my paygrade.

Henri

scatter brain
Whether you can get the right chain tension with a 2x system with that 10x50 cassette is out of my paygrade.
The SRAM Eagle rear mechs for 50t cassetes are specifically 1*12, I think. You need to adjust the B-screw for a small changes of chainrings and for bigger changes adjust chain length, if you want to be able to shhift all cogs. (Or have a carefully placed idler to counter the chain length difference.)

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
On my 2018 V20 I have Shimano 105 R7000 165mm cranks with 52/34t chainrings, and they have worked perfectly since day 1. You can also get them in a 50/34t and just remove the 34t ring. My Force AXS FD works perfectly so I don't think you'll have any FD problems if you install it, but if you want to save a few grams of weight by removing the 34t inner ring, and saving even more weight by making it a 1x system without a FD or heavy shifter then that should be fine. Of course Ultegra and Dura Ace are steps up from 105, but in light of crank arm failures under heavy loads with those two I decided to stay with the more robust 105 crank arms. Keep in mind this is me over-estimating my actual power as I haven't seen +800w in a while on any ride.

Back to the FD, and the problems you had... there are many possible issues so I won't try to guess which caused your problems, but the AXS FD works flawlessly on my V20. So, I don't think you should have any fear about it shifting properly between the front 2 rings if you go with a 2x system. Whether you can get the right chain tension with a 2x system with that 10x50 cassette is out of my paygrade.
I currently have a working 2X system since I bent the derailleur loop. I took it for a 40 mile ride yesterday and it did work well. But I still don't like how the chain slips when moving from the large chainring to the small one. It's not that bad, but it annoys me. The chain also rattles while switching from the small to large chainring. Also not that bad, but... I also like one less derailleur to worry about with the 1X system. I did have some issues while on my tour with the FD. I don't care at all about weight. My touring bags will be 40-50 lbs. What's another pound or so. I also have seen no issue with crank arm failures on either of my bikes (S40 and V20), both of which have the Ultegra HolllowTech II cranks. Both are 165mm.

I don't think you want to just remove the small chain ring to make it a 1X. The large chainring needs to move to be aligned to the center of the freewheel or you may have cross chain stresses. I wouldn't mind using the cranks I have but I think I have to get cranks that are designed for the 1X drive. I also think (not sure
The SRAM Eagle rear mechs for 50t cassetes are specifically 1*12, I think. You need to adjust the B-screw for a small changes of chainrings and for bigger changes adjust chain length, if you want to be able to shhift all cogs. (Or have a carefully placed idler to counter the chain length difference.)
I just ordered all the components for the conversion last night from Pro Bike Supply.

Includes:

SRAM GX Eagle Chain - 12-Speed, 126 Links, Gray
SRAM GX Eagle XG-1275 Cassette - 12-Speed, 10-52t, Black, For XD Driver Body
SRAM Rival eTap AXS HRD Shift/Brake Lever and Hydraulic Disc Caliper - Right/Rear, Flat Mount 20mm Offset, 1800mm Hose, Black, D1
SRAM Rival eTap AXS HRD Shift/Brake Lever and Hydraulic Disc Caliper - Left/Front, Flat Mount 20mm Offset, 950mm Hose, Black, D1
SRAM GX Eagle AXS Rear Derailleur - 12-Speed, Long Cage, 52t Max, Lunar
SRAM Battery & Charger
$949.00

I purchased from Wolf Tooth:

Set of 4 Chainring Bolts + Nuts for 1X
$24.95
Chainring -- 110 BCD Asymmetric 4-Bolt for Shimano Cranks, Drop-Stop B / 50T
$89.95

I plan to put the Shimano components back on my S40 so it's functional again. I made it into an eBike.

I appreciate the suggestions to help me decide how to go about this.

You may need extra chain. On my V20c with SRAM Eagle 10-52 with 46 tooth chainring and standard chainstay, the 126 link chain was just enough. But when I had on a larger chainring, I had to add a few links. So I made three chains from four and cycled through them, fresh waxing in between.

Also, I expect the hydraulic hose length may be too short. I've had to buy longer hoses and (depending on the brake) adapters.
See the second photo of this post for a Jagwire adapter being used.

BTW, I think the 50 tooth chainring is a bit steep unless you're going after high speed. I get by with the smaller one. Here I'm able to pedal up to 40+ mph with my set-up.

I would even consider a smaller one if I was to do some loaded touring. I want to be able to pedal at 80 rpm up a long steady climb.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
You may need extra chain. On my V20c with SRAM Eagle 10-52 with 46 tooth chainring and standard chainstay, the 126 link chain was just enough. But when I had on a larger chainring, I had to add a few links. So I made three chains from four and cycled through them, fresh waxing in between.

Also, I expect the hydraulic hose length may be too short. I've had to buy longer hoses and (depending on the brake) adapters.
See the second photo of this post for a Jagwire adapter being used.

Thanks for the tips. That's saves me the frustration of finding both too short while in the middle of a build. I'm curious, what method did you use to add the extra links? Quick links or did you buy new pins or did you reuse the old pins? I'm unfamiliar with SRAM products.

When looking for the Jagwire adaptors, they didn't have a selection for Rival brakes, but I believe they are the same in function as the Red and Force designs. I ordered adaptors and hose. I'm sure I can return if they don't work.

Yes.. I was wondering what brake adaptor I would need for the V20. Thank you very much for the link to the thread with the appropriate adaptor. I remember going through adaptor hell when putting larger rotors on my S40.

Oh! No! I just realized the mullet group set that I purchased does not include rotors. Guess I'll have to pick some out before I figure out the correct brake adaptors. I tend to go with the largest rotors I can fit with the given brakes. I like stopping especially with a full touring load. I recall going down the 6000 ft grades coming out of CA, fearful that my brakes would turn to liquid.

BTW, I think the 50 tooth chainring is a bit steep unless you're going after high speed. I get by with the smaller one. Here I'm able to pedal up to 40+ mph with my set-up.

I would even consider a smaller one if I was to do some loaded touring. I want to be able to pedal at 80 rpm up a long steady climb.
I hear you on the chainring size. I tried to match the speeds I see with my current setup using the BikeCalc.com calculator:

I don't know what cadence to input as I don't measure it. I find it useless unless I need the info for this calculation. Here's the results when imputing the new setup and assuming 80 rpm:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 230332.png

Which is pretty close to what I get now with the Ultegra setup. I am assuming that I converted to 26 inch wheels from the current 700 mm and 1.5" tires from the current 1". If this is wrong, it would be nice to know so I can order a smaller chainring. I guess I could try it and replace it if it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie

Gotta say.. you can move on that V20. I rarely hit 40 mph, and when I do, I'm gripping the handlebars like I'm hanging off a cliff. Peddling isn't an option after 30 mph. Guess I'll have to buy a blue tooth cadence kit as I use my phone (RideWithGPS) for all my metrics. I currently have no Idea what my cadence is.

Edit: I just ordered a Wahoo cadence and speed sensors.

Last edited:
My cadence input comes from the power meter.

Another heads up:
The brake adapter thread I shared was specifically aimed at the V20c with its newer brake mounting standard. For older models look here, it may vary with your caliper, though:

what method did you use to add the extra links?
I think I used a KMC quick link for 12 speed to add the links. I prefer a Wippermann link for the easy on-off.

A caveat: these links can be a source of chain jumping.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
My cadence input comes from the power meter.

Another heads up:
The brake adapter thread I shared was specifically aimed at the V20c with its newer brake mounting standard. For older models look here, it may vary with your caliper, though:

I was not aware that there was a change. Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I have previously purchased brakes and adaptors for my S40 as I put the largest rotors that would fit, on the bike. I'm hoping the brake standard on my 2016 V20 is the same as my 2019 S40, as then I can try them on the V20 before I buying anything. If they work, I'll just reorder the same parts and be done with it. Otherwise, I'll do the research.

As far as cadence, I purchased Wahoo speed and cadence sensors that should work with my RideWithGPS app.

TransAm

I have been running SRAM Eagle AXS 1x on my V20/V20c. I use the 11-50 cassette and a 50t chainring, so I have 1:1 gearing. That definitely needs more than one chain. I just use two quick links to splice in a few extra links.

I wouldn't worry too much about being able to pedal at high speed downwind/downhill. With bags on the bike, shimmy is going to make pedaling hard at high speed too scary (and dangerous). If you can go fast enough without trying too hard, I would just save it for when you really need to pedal.

I've done CC touring on the V20, but I didn't carry that much. I didn't weigh it, but definitely less than 40lbs (when I did TABR I was under 40 lbs, including winter gear for the rockies and a sleep system). I just used one rear rack-top bag on the V20 (no paniers) and a top-tube bikepacking bag under the slider/boom, plus the Moose Pack. You need to be careful about swaying bags. They can set up a resonance with the bike, and that can cause big problems on any bike, but especially the V20. And if you want to go fast, forget about paniers.

I assume you decided to stick with 700c wheels? Otherwise you are going to need a bigger boat (chainring).

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I have been running SRAM Eagle AXS 1x on my V20/V20c. I use the 11-50 cassette and a 50t chainring, so I have 1:1 gearing. That definitely needs more than one chain. I just use two quick links to splice in a few extra links.

I wouldn't worry too much about being able to pedal at high speed downwind/downhill. With bags on the bike, shimmy is going to make pedaling hard at high speed too scary (and dangerous). If you can go fast enough without trying too hard, I would just save it for when you really need to pedal.

I've done CC touring on the V20, but I didn't carry that much. I didn't weigh it, but definitely less than 40lbs (when I did TABR I was under 40 lbs, including winter gear for the rockies and a sleep system). I just used one rear rack-top bag on the V20 (no paniers) and a top-tube bikepacking bag under the slider/boom, plus the Moose Pack. You need to be careful about swaying bags. They can set up a resonance with the bike, and that can cause big problems on any bike, but especially the V20. And if you want to go fast, forget about paniers.

I assume you decided to stick with 700c wheels? Otherwise you are going to need a bigger boat (chainring).
I did buy 3 chains. I expected to have to do some splicing.

I don't worry about riding at fast speed while touring as I don't do that anyway. In the past, I have loaded up my V20 with a large Radical Design banana panniers and had way too much wobble just riding normally down the road. I tried to move everything to a very lightweight trailer (DOM T2) but had the same problem. I was carrying ~70 lbs and I weighed about 225 at the time. This was way too much for the V20. I'm expecting to lose all my weight for my next tour and not carry camping or cooking equipment. That will put me at around 170 lbs and the gear at around 40 lbs. I'm hoping the V20 will be able to handle the lower weight.

I think I used a KMC quick link for 12 speed to add the links. I prefer a Wippermann link for the easy on-off.

A caveat: these links can be a source of chain jumping.
I already have a bunch of SRAM quick links. I've had good luck with those.

TransAm

I already have a bunch of SRAM quick links. I've had good luck with those.

The SRAM are not re-usable. Most of the aftermarket are, which can be handy. CB used to sell a small quick link opening and closing tool, but I don't see it listed any more.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
The SRAM are not re-usable. Most of the aftermarket are, which can be handy. CB used to sell a small quick link opening and closing tool, but I don't see it listed any more.
Well, that's interesting because I've reused them dozens of times without issues.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Hi Mathew,

I did finally reduce my front chainring from 50t to 46t, so I have the same setup as you on my V20. I have not been able to get the derailleur micro-adjusted to work properly with the new setup. The worst problem is when shifting from the 12th gear to the 11th, it won't go in. Going the other way is no problem and I can also shift from 11th gear to the 10th with no problem. Most of the gears seem well aligned (except for the 11th gear issue), but when I'm shifting into the lower two gears (1 & 2), I have trouble getting all the rattling out. When in 2nd gear, I can visually see the edge of the chain catching on the 1st gear at times. I can't seem to adjust this out, without wrecking the alignment for the rest of the gears. There is noticeable chain sound that makes me think the chain is too tight. Using the SRAM recommendation of wrapping the chain around the front and largest back cog, there should be 2 links overlapping. When I did this it seemed way too tight, so I added an extra link. I'm currently at 129 links.

After much emailing with the online shop were I purchased the SRAM upgrade package, they think the chain is too tight, probably due to it being a recumbent. My questions are:

1. How do you properly size the chain for a V20 with the current setup that we both appear to have?
2. How many chain links are you using?
3. Are you seeing any chain issues with your setup?

I do know how to properly setup the b-screw. I can set it manually, which matches the setup using the SRAM b-screw tool.

Thanks!

Hi Mathew,
Mine continues to work flawlessly. Except yesterday when the chain was off the upper derailleur pulley, easily fixed.
Here's my set up:
1686177955535.png

The B-limit or tension screw. I didn't have to adjust mine at all, it worked correctly out of the box. Click here for a guide.
1686178044589.png

The limit screws on the underside. You may have to back out the left side a bit to allow shifting into the biggest ring. Again, I was lucky in not having to adjust mine.
1686178108539.png