What does an electric assisted cruzbike look like?

buyagain

Let me declare that, at present, that cruzbike does not exist. At least not the one I'm looking for. I'm sure there is a future for electric assisted cruzbikes as Baby Boomers age. LOL Please don't get too excited about all the hub designs. I'm guessing they are way too inefficient by their very nature and that they dont' fit the 250 or 180 watt limitations. Not to mention all that well executed concentric gearing is way expensive. I don't wish to discuss this because I just don't have time.
I'm rabid to maintain the cruzbike peddle-ability for a couple of very sound and logical reasons. Ok, 4 main reasons; 1. This will facilitate conversion of most any cruzbike without too much peddle performance deterioration . 2.The cruzbike will remain light enough to qualify as a no need to license bike around the world (180-250 watt limit). 3. Weight can be maintained that at least 2 cruzbikes can be carried on a trunk mounted bicycle rack . 4. The economy of this unit must at least approach that of the cost of my present gasoline assisted cruzbike.
I mentioned in one of my posts about Electric RC airplanes and how the technology there might parallel exactly that electric break through that might already exist for a practical fractional horse power electric. Please see the attached site. I insist that this is one of the most prestigious RC electric planes publications in the USA. I both wrote for and subscribed to Ampeer News letter 17 years ago.
http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/

I've just received an email from "Light Electric Vehicles" touting a break through electric bike form Currie. Its called the Express. @ $3500 dollars I don't see a thing to get my juices going. Although billed as strictly a power assisted peddler it's no where close to the 250 to 180 watts. And It's not even close to the performance of my souped up Avalon.
http://www.currietech.com/currie-technologies-izip-express-for-men-electric-bike.php

PS if I'm a predictor of future politics, we are all going to need a power assisted cruzbike just for basic transportation. LOL They definitely left out one of the most important provisions to the health care bill.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
buyagain wrote: Let me declare that, at present, that cruzbike does not exist. At least not the one I'm looking for. I'm sure there is a future for electric assisted cruzbikes as Baby Boomers age. LOL Please don't get too excited about all the hub designs. I'm guessing they are way too inefficient by their very nature and that they dont' fit the 250 or 180 watt limitations. Not to mention all that well executed concentric gearing is way expensive. I don't wish to discuss this because I just don't have time.
I am pretty sure that BionX, a hub motor :eek: :cool: will fit into 250 watt limitations.

If you have a conversion or version1 with a normal width rear axle, then i am sure you could put something there to drive the rear wheel.

I remember something about a hidden electric assist that applied it's force inside the bottom bracket going down the seat tube.

buyagain

Hi Jon;
I dearly wish you might have some first hand experience driving their 250 watt version. Maybe we could start a band of outlaws in Australia willing to fudge a little on the 180 watt limit. I can see it now, " Australian Green police ran down a band of outlaws running 250 watt electric assisted cruzbikes. The chase was desperate thing to behold. It was nip and tuck for awhile until one of their band ran out of battery.

On the serious side your BionX (great find) is not your run of the mill hub motors I referred to. Indeed for all the world it looks like an up sized brushless DVD motor. No I'm not kidding and it is a true brush-less motor on the order of what I have in my lawn mower. I can see this making for a very efficient package. Once again I wish we could get a first hand testimony of this motor. I looked at a couple sites and the tech data is pretty sketchy. I think they said something about 6 volts, not sure though. I just wish we had some subjective experience here. Ultimately for me the price of from 16 to 19 hundred dollars for the kit might be the deal breaker for me.
JonB wrote: I remember something about a hidden electric assist that applied it's force inside the bottom bracket going down the seat tube.
I've notice a green glow or aura emanating from certain objects but I've been too embarrassed to mention this before now.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
buyagain wrote: Hi Jon;
I dearly wish you might have some first hand experience driving their 250 watt version. Maybe we could start a band of outlaws in Australia willing to fudge a little on the 180 watt limit. I can see it now, " Australian Green police ran down a band of outlaws running 250 watt electric assisted cruzbikes. The chase was desperate thing to behold. It was nip and tuck for awhile until one of their band ran out of battery.
Sorry, no experience with electric assist.

Hey, maybe you could try this in your Cruzbike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

It's an electrical assist that goes in the bottom bracket with the batteries in the tube somewhere or carried in a seat bag. Pretty innovative. It is not supposed to be used for long periods, only for short spurts.

rearengine

Well this is what mine looks like... It's a Walmart Next Tiara frame , with 20" wheels, and Big Apple 2.35 tires..I put the Quest 20" chainstay on the kit.. The motor is 500/600 w , 50 amp controller, 36v sla battery ( 3x12v ) Top speed 19mph, range i think about 25/28 miles.. I said I think ,I haven't gone that far yet .. I don't want to have to peddle this thing home.. If I had it to do over again,I would get the geared hub motor, because it freewheels .. Ya all take care... Bill
78_39b3d28fc65d21a5007cdaf254d9da73

gannet

Looks good to me!! We have a legal limit of 200W in Australia, so I'm jealous of your 500 watter. There's a few of us lobbying various state governments to raise the limit - even if they have a category were we have to pay to register the bike as a low powered motorbike.

Back in days BC ( before Cruzbike) I did fit an elation 200W kit to a DF - sort of worked, but not satisfactory for me at all. I did ride a bike with a neat 350W hub drive and that was much more like it.

I'm lovin' my new Silvio just now, but I aim for another project ( or 2) ( additions, not replacements)
1 - a realistically powered electric assist ( 300 W+)
2. a 29er MTB equivalent. ( with IGH and Gates carbon belt drive ??!!)

Could well be the same bike, just have 2 rear wheels to interchange, and clip-on battery / controller gear.

All good Fun!!