What tools do i need to assemble the Freerider?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi

It looks like my freerider arrives in the beginning of the next week. What kind of tools do i need to assemble the Freerider?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
If I were to guess, Jon, I would list the following.

Metric allen wrenches
Phillips screw driver
Metric end wrenches, or adjustable wrench

Optional:
Cutting torch
air compressor with an assortment of air tools
mitre box
band saw
tig welder

You probably won't need the optional items, but if you can use the bike as an excuse to slide the purchase past, then go for it! ;)

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: If I were to guess, Jon, I would list the following.

Metric allen wrenches
Phillips screw driver
Metric end wrenches, or adjustable wrench
How can 2 tools looking so far apart both contain the name wrench?

Mark B wrote: Optional:
Cutting torch
air compressor with an assortment of air tools
mitre box
band saw
tig welder

You probably won't need the optional items, but if you can use the bike as an excuse to slide the purchase past, then go for it! ;)
heh. I live alone in a 2 room apartment on the 4. floor, so i would not have a need for such things, except maybe the air compressor, but i will find a pump.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
The bike is here

The bike is already here. Yesterday evening fedex still said thuesday, but he woke me up this morning. Long night, couldnt fall asleep, and then fedex woke me up. But i cant be grumpy now :)

Is that it? a whole bike in that small box? When i see bike boxes at my local dealer they are alot longer, almost a whole wheel longer. I hope that cruzbike put on the chain before leaving the factory, i dont have any chain tools. But i will go see now, i am just done eating breakfast, i just could not stay away.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Re: The bike is here

JonB wrote: The bike is already here. Yesterday evening fedex still said thuesday, but he woke me up this morning. Long night, couldnt fall asleep, and then fedex woke me up. But i cant be grumpy now :)

Is that it? a whole bike in that small box? When i see bike boxes at my local dealer they are alot longer, almost a whole wheel longer. I hope that cruzbike put on the chain before leaving the factory, i dont have any chain tools. But i will go see now, i am just done eating breakfast, i just could not stay away.

Oh, goody, goody, goody!!!

Have fun!

Mark

Kamatu

Historical question for me: When did they start putting chains through the frames on bikes?

I know you have to pull the wheel to get the chain off and I haven't looked closely at the other six bikes (all but one kids', the other a 24', not counting the Tiara), but I don't think I've ever seen a chain through the frame like on the Tiara. Now the last time I messed with bikes was in 1992 when I bought the wife and I a matched set of MTB type bikes (they were called mountain/touring). Frame with wheels and chain off in a box.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu wrote: Historical question for me: When did they start putting chains through the frames on bikes?

I know you have to pull the wheel to get the chain off and I haven't looked closely at the other six bikes (all but one kids', the other a 24', not counting the Tiara), but I don't think I've ever seen a chain through the frame like on the Tiara. Now the last time I messed with bikes was in 1992 when I bought the wife and I a matched set of MTB type bikes (they were called mountain/touring). Frame with wheels and chain off in a box.

The chain has to run through the frame. No other way for it to work.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i forgot to take pictures

Hi

I forgot to take pictures, because after having seen the assembly video, then i was just ecstatic to get it assembled. I seem to have managed that, and i toke it for a spin. I started on some side streets with lots of parked cars. It went okay, no crashes. I decided to go to a nearby park and drive it outside the streets, and it was fun. I must have been grinning from ear to ear. Very comfortable and alot more easy to ride than the conversion i tried.

The click lock i had already did not fit, i will have to find another, but no nearby bike shops had any that would fit :-(

At the moment the bike is at my bicycle repairman to get fenders and a gear adjusting because it did not run as good as i wanted. They were asking all sorts of questions. Tomorrow i plan to come just before they close, to give them a chance to try it out when the shop is closed. If they want to.

I was driving by a woman with kids in her 3 wheel cargo bike, and the women said to the kids, "see that strange bike". The kids replied "he's biking wrong". I said "no, i'm biking right, because this is so much more comfortable.

JonB

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i forgot to mention that my bicycle repairman is older and bigger than me, and he used to be a road bike guy. I mentioned the Silvio for him, thinking that he might be interested. Tomorrow i hope to have him try my freerider.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Photos Jon, photos!

And a brief report... :shock:

Have fun,

Rick :geek:
Sorry, once i got it, i was only thinking of getting it assembled, i did not pause to take pictures, i didnt even pause to eat lunch.

I've been thinking about lock options, and how to avoid rattling. I also want a luggage carrier, but thats harder to mount :-( those i have found does not reach the upper arm of the back wheel holder.

This night i was dreaming about the places i would take the bike.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: Sorry, once i got it, i was only thinking of getting it assembled, i did not pause to take pictures, i didnt even pause to eat lunch.
Here's to hoping you at least took time to pause for the cause (bathroom)! :lol:

JonB wrote: This night i was dreaming about the places i would take the bike.

Correction: You were dreaming about the places the bike would take you!

Mark