What's better than gloves?

McWheels

Off the long run
Something that affects me quite hard and quite quickly is cold hands. It doesn't help that I live on the local geographic roof, so everywhere is downhill to start with. I've tried layerd gloves, thick gloves, mittens and so on, but I might have hit on something, and it cost a whole 3 quid.

To be fair the idea isn't at all new, and pogies or bar mitts or handlebar muffs can be found from many commercial emporiums. The closest I've found for a drop-bar is from https://barmitts.com/products/road-bike-dual-position-bar-mitts?variant=29543538229346, a rather fetching set of neoprene dual-position mitts. But I don't need dual-position, and I can't ride on the hoods so neither is actually designed to my (our) use case.

So I set to work today and started making a pair of templates, to which I would later apply a child's jacket.

I found this Bob the Builder one for 3 quid in a local charity shop. It's not the absolute greatest material, but it'll bee mostly waterproof and a windstopper. There was an adult's jacket with brown fur on the inside(!). I might yet iterate these.

This is the right hand side with the bar cutout which doubles as a securing point. The top corner is actually the sleeve hole which I've since sewn shut. I reflect now that I might have made that corner squarer to give the hoods more room but it would have added another half an hour of cutting, hemming, shaping and attaching something to the far end of an already enclosed pocket - not fast when you're very mediocre with a sewing machine.

The left side uses the hood and the remainder of the body to make a 2-part pogie which presents quite differently. This isn't bad actually since the bell is in the top right corner of this one and I still have room to operate it. Both have a popper rather than velcro to hold them round the bar.

First test ride this evening was really rather successful. I deliberately wore gloves under-sized and over-used, and it was excellent.

What could be better? The right one has space for the bar-end shifter, but could do with being a little longer on the outside panel, or in fact all around, plus the cutout corner for the top of the hood. The left one encloses much better but for both I might use stiffer material so I can a take hands in and out more directly.

All told a mostly fun afternoon on the sewing machine and I think something not discussed here much.

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Excellent job McWheels. Repurposing unused stuff is a lot of fun. I have seen those on mopeds and motorcycles here, but never took a good look at them to see how they are shaped or connected but they do seem to work well. A bit of Scotch Guard (or Ozcycle's silicon/mineral spirits mix) and they'd even work well in the wet.

Great job. The ingenuity of the tribe is fantastic. Does the wind catch the fabric and flap it around? My hands do not get cold in sunny Fl. I wonder if you could use a milk jug and glue or Velcro the fabric so it has structure? But I guess you really don’t need it so you can move your hands in and out. Put your hands in and keep ‘em there.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Here is something from Amazon. Amazon.com : Bar Mitts Cold Weather Road Bicycle Handlebar Mittens, fits Campy/SRAM/Shimano Shifters with Internally Routed Cables : Cycling Gloves : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
I have never tried them though since I don't like to ride when it's cold and/or wet outside, which unfortunately seems like 6 months of the year. :)
These are from the same company quoted near the beginning of the first post so I say go straight to the source and get the most developed product.

I applaud your desire to continue riding during the cold season. Personally, I use this opportunity to do structured training while watching Netflix. (I have 250 movies in my DVD queue.) But if I did ride I'd want warm hands.
Here's a pair seen on this year's Indiana Cruzbike Retreat, (starting temperature = 47* F) using motorcycle mitts:
ScootR Logic bar mitts.jpg

McWheels

Off the long run
Here's a pair seen on this year's Indiana Cruzbike Retreat, (starting temperature = 47* F) using motorcycle mitts:
They look alright, if a bit folded up. I'd want to offer them up before purchasing but looks very plausible. Might be tight on the bar-end shifter on drops.
I think what I really need is to find some epic waterproof and fur-lined 'thing' in the charity shop again. (And some reflective fabric to put on the outside)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I’ve considered pogies as a very desirable option, but have been able to get by so far without them. I use rain gloves down to near freezing, but then switch over to lobster gloves for freezing and below. I add wool glove liners to the lobster gloves to get down to zero degrees F. I found that hands and fingers can start out cold, but eventually warm up. Feet and toes are the opposite - they start out warm, but then get progressively colder, until becoming dangerously cold. So I always use chemical toe warmers in the winter to keep my feet and toes warm. They last about 6 hours. I haven’t found any other option, not even cycling boots with thick wool socks can keep my toes warm without toe warmers. I carry spare toe warmers just in case, and could put them in my gloves if necessary, but have never had to do that yet, since lobster gloves work so well. Bottom line: lobster gloves are amazing for hands and fingers. Toe warmers are amazing for feet and toes.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I don't ride much when it is below freezing, but when I did last Winter I used neoprene gloves on the inside and snowboard gloves sprayed with a waterproofing spray. Today, I will be getting either a pair of Castelli Estremos or Roekl H20s, whichever one works better with a liner and a chemical heating pad on the knuckles. I'd love to Frankenstein a pair of bar mitts like some of you guys, but I am not going to kid myself that I will make one.