Whistling a Happy Tune

Rick Harker

Ahhh! fellow riders,

When the wobbles go away and the "cruzin" is just fun, I cannot help but put happy thoughts in my mind. True the racers amongst us will quietly clench their teeth and tighten their grip on the bars trying to outpace the next rider all whilst trying to keep a casual smile.
But then there are those of us that have days where we like to smell the scents in the breeze and fill our lungs with life.
The pedals are rotating and the road is a blur underneath while a steady pace is being made all without the aches and discomfort of the not so distant past. 3 hours will pass along the road around the Port Philip bay and a steady 28-30 k's/hr is easily had. Just a light gentle breeze will slide up from the beach to refresh the soul. A little stop here and a little stop there to view the ocean scenery and before I really know it I've covered 120 k's. Theres just a little tingle in my thighs and all the way I've been whistling a happy tune from Israel kamakawiwo'ole called Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
A beautiful singer with a beautiful song on a beautiful day riding with nary a care in the world. Aaahhh! Bliss.

More days like this please.

Regards all,

Rick.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
yeah, it's a fantastick bike. I ran into some strong headwind yesterday, but that wasnt much of a problem. I'm sure all the other bikers on their uprights would say something like:

Quote: "I was passed by one of these mothers once, out by the Axel Nebula," said Ford, "I was going flat out and this thing just strolled past me, star drive hardly ticking over. Just incredible."

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I whistle a lot when I ride. At least when I'm able. Climbing takes too much wheezing and it's difficult to whistle under those conditions.

Mark

mi7d1

JonB wrote:
Quote: "I was passed by one of these mothers once, out by the Axel Nebula," said Ford, "I was going flat out and this thing just strolled past me, star drive hardly ticking over. Just incredible."

42 usually works. If not get a Cruzbike!

BTW, when I purchase my velomobile I received serial number 42. It did please me as I'm a fan of the Hitchhicker's Guide.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: I forgot to mention that the whistling gets a little faster with the inclines.

Rick.
I guess I could call what I do, on long steep grades, 'whistling'....
-But it mostly resembles wheezing.
:(
-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote:
Rick Harker wrote: I forgot to mention that the whistling gets a little faster with the inclines.

Rick.
I guess I could call what I do, on long steep grades, 'whistling'....
-But it mostly resembles wheezing.
:(
-Steve

Sometimes, I get to the point there isn't anything to wheeze!

Mark

Rick Harker

Har! You guys...

I don't believe you guys are so unfit but from what I've been reading there seems to be some self indulging racing going on.
I find sometimes if I drop off the pace a notch I can go for much farther with what seems a lot less effort.
I find though my whistling happy tunes do pause when I'm flying down hill at about 70 odd kms/hr. The bike feels a bit hairy and my facial muscles tend to tense in a moment of high concentration (read fear).
After that... ahhh! happy tunes.

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Har! You guys...

I don't believe you guys are so unfit but from what I've been reading there seems to be some self indulging racing going on.
I find sometimes if I drop off the pace a notch I can go for much farther with what seems a lot less effort.
I find though my whistling happy tunes do pause when I'm flying down hill at about 70 odd kms/hr. The bike feels a bit hairy and my facial muscles tend to tense in a moment of high concentration (read fear).

Rick.

It's not so much that I'm unfit, but not at the fitness level I would like. I like to go pretty hard, but I don't have the cardio fitness I need to ride at the level I would like for any extended periods of time. Especially when the road gains elevation in serious increments. ;) I'm also about 50-60 pounds heavier than I want to be. So, I'll be a work in progress for some time and I'll probably snivel about it from time to time. In the meantime, you get to enjoy the adventures (and sniveling :p ) as I make my way to where I want to be!

Mark

Kamatu

Rick Harker wrote: Har! You guys...

Rick.

Heh, it depends on what the meaning of "unfit" is. For me to do work around the place here with general lifting, hammering, sawing, nailing, etc., I'm plenty fit to work to my pain level (the more I work, the more it hurts type of arthritis). I do too much, too fast, I have to quit anyway. However, all of this isn't aerobic work by any means, it's either anaerobic or not enough to qualify for either classification. Riding a bike, I need the wind and it isn't there anymore, but it will come back, always has.

Reminds me of the little thing in the Army about PT tests. Units who went on long deployments (60-90 days) in the field got at least 30 days to get back in shape for the PT test before unit competitions. When we returned from Saudi after the first Gulf War, we were put on an gradual increase in PT with six months allowed before we had a PT test. We were all "fit" and ready to fight longer over there if we had to, but for doing pushups, situps and running, we were decidedly "unfit".

Rick Harker

I guess it all depends on what you measure yourself on.

In my previous post I really should have said that I don't believe you guys are unfit. Just aiming higher than current and there is nothing wrong with that.
My Beautiful wife is trying to experience the joys of bike riding for the first time in her life after witnessing my expressions when I return home. Her riding speed is half that of mine but its near max for her. In time it will improve and continue so for all the practice and adventure we're doing. She's even considering riding to work which previously scared the heck out of her (and me, city traffic).
The difference here though is that she's coming from nowhere to getting somewhere which differs from someone trying to get where they were.
I admire her and anyone who tries without giving up too easily. You guys already know what you have to do, just keep smiling and whistling that happy tune...

Good riding,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick,

I never realized until you posted how much whistling/singing I do on rides. This last weekend, one of the ladies commented about her lack of need for an ipod with me along. :oops: That particular day, I had "slip sliding away" stuck in my head. On my morning commute today, I heard the metrolink train coming in the distance and raced to beat it to the crossing. The theme for the rest of the ride was Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues; "I hear that train a comin', comin' 'round the bend." I'm sure that people waiting at bus stops and such were impressed! :roll:

Mark

Rick Harker

Funny how tunes get "stuck" in there.

After reading your post Mr. Cash's guitar and hypnotic voice got to me. Now its stuck. Then when I think "that" tune is gone I find myself pursing my lips and whistling about a train... Well! Its a good tune to keep in time with the cadence.
When people have more than a casual look at my bike I remember the penguins from the movie Madagaskar who say, "Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave". :) :D