Whooo Hooo... My first 100 miles on a Cruzbike

So, I just passed 100 miles on my new (to me) Quest 3.0 559 that I picked up last month. It's been a tough month to cycle in the Baltimore area with snow and cold temps, but I've been trying my best to get out there, pedal and just feel more comfortable on this bike.

upload_2022-1-12_16-53-56.jpeg

I've gotten a bunch of tips on these forum pages for cycling advice and bike setup/positioning that are really starting to pay off. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable on Pablo (that's my Cruzbike's name), but I still think I've got a ways to go. Here's some things I'm still working on... (let me know if you have any insights)​
  • Still feel a little shaky pedaling hard at higher speeds (>15 mph)
  • I feel like I need to attach my shoes to the pedals better as they keep seeming to bounce off. I posted on the FB Cruzbike group about this and I'm looking into different shoes, clips and maybe even magnetic pedals.
  • I've made a bunch of updates/tweaks to my drivetrain and the shifting is performing really well right now. But overall the bike squeaks a little here and there and I'd love to figure out where the noises are coming from and eliminate them.
  • I'm coming from a Sun EZ tandem basket seat experience and although I'm getting more comfortable with the Quest seat, (especially after some advice on my handlebar positioning). I still feel like the seat is too small. I'm a big guy and I feel like my posterior shifts around the bottom part of the seat and I'm constantly adjusting which in turn usually causes some wobble during my pedaling. I know some folks have put bigger Rans style basket seats on their Cruzbikes and I'm sort of toying with that idea.
Overall, I'm pretty psyched about my Cruzbike experience so far. I can't wait to go out on some longer rides with my friends as the temps get a little warmer this spring.

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-12_16-53-31.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-12_16-53-31.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2022-1-12_16-53-56.jpg
    upload_2022-1-12_16-53-56.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 3

benphyr

Guru-me-not
There are many locations for squeaks. The shock itself, its pivots, brakes pivots, cables, housings, levers, boom clamp, fork extension clamp, any of the front triangle pivot points, pedal to cleat, pedal bearings, dry no lube remaining on chain, chain against front derailleur, kick stand pivot or if it touches the frame, fenders rubbing plastic on metal or shoe on crank, any lose bolt, one, several, or all loose spokes (it’s true story), loose handlebar grips, frame pivot, seat bolts under and back, seat to back, seat clamp, headset, spacers, slider pivot. I think that covers most of them.

What to do?
-clean everything
-boom, slider, and clamp: do not get any lube in here. Same for seat post and clamp
-shim anything that no longer has enough contact pressure to hold
-Anything the has threads: blue threadlocker, try not to spill
-Anything that is supposed to pivot: clean and lube - light or heavy grease should be fine but try to use one that doesn’t oxidize as you will have to replace it sooner.
-do Not over tighten but say “no” to looseness too.
-there should be some tension to the spokes and they should all pluck a relatively close pitch. If they don’t ping or twang or the pitch is very different on the same side of the same wheel then that might be something to check into.

Did I miss anything?

There are many locations for squeaks. The shock itself, its pivots, brakes pivots, cables, housings, levers, boom clamp, fork extension clamp, any of the front triangle pivot points, pedal to cleat, pedal bearings, dry no lube remaining on chain, chain against front derailleur, kick stand pivot or if it touches the frame, fenders rubbing plastic on metal or shoe on crank, any lose bolt, one, several, or all loose spokes (it’s true story), loose handlebar grips, frame pivot, seat bolts under and back, seat to back, seat clamp, headset, spacers, slider pivot. I think that covers most of them.

What to do?
-clean everything
-boom, slider, and clamp: do not get any lube in here. Same for seat post and clamp
-shim anything that no longer has enough contact pressure to hold
-Anything the has threads: blue threadlocker, try not to spill
-Anything that is supposed to pivot: clean and lube - light or heavy grease should be fine but try to use one that doesn’t oxidize as you will have to replace it sooner.
-do Not over tighten but say “no” to looseness too.
-there should be some tension to the spokes and they should all pluck a relatively close pitch. If they don’t ping or twang or the pitch is very different on the same side of the same wheel then that might be something to check into.

Did I miss anything?

Great list! I need to start going through this

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Are you using clipless pedals? That has been the way to go for me, and once you are over the initial learning curve, these bikes become easier to ride while clipped in because your feet give you added control over the steering. I use double-sided Shimano SPD pedals and shoes. Easy in, easy out, feel held firmly in place while riding.

Good job on covering the first 100 miles!

Are you using clipless pedals? That has been the way to go for me, and once you are over the initial learning curve, these bikes become easier to ride while clipped in because your feet give you added control over the steering. I use double-sided Shimano SPD pedals and shoes. Easy in, easy out, feel held firmly in place while riding.

Good job on covering the first 100 miles!

Thanks! I do have some double sided Shimano SPD pedals that I use on other bikes. I'll probably start using those after I get a little more comfortable. It just seems like they're already sort of tough to clip in when I'm using them on my diamond frame road bikes. It'll be interesting to see if I have any issues clipping in when I start.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Thanks! I do have some double sided Shimano SPD pedals that I use on other bikes. I'll probably start using those after I get a little more comfortable. It just seems like they're already sort of tough to clip in when I'm using them on my diamond frame road bikes. It'll be interesting to see if I have any issues clipping in when I start.
There should be a way to adjust the tension on your SPDs. That 'might' help with clipping in/out too. ;)

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
It just seems like they're already sort of tough to clip in when I'm using them on my diamond frame road bikes.
I run my SPD pedals adjusted almost as easy/loose as they'll go. I have the ones that are platform on one side, clip-in on the other (M324?). Never had a problem with pulling out of them unexpectedly--though I don't hammer and sprint a lot, either. Plenty of adjustment range.

So I took the bike out today for the first time with the clipless pedals. It felt GREAT! It seems so much more relaxing to ride this thing without my feet popping around, especially when I'm going fast. I should have done this much sooner.

It was kinda tough to get my feet clipped to the pedals, but I think that's mostly because it was in the 20's while I was pedaling around today and my feet were kinda numb. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to popping them in as it gets warmer. On the other side, I had no issues pulling my feet off.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Glad to hear you are fine with it now B&B. I remember thinking that I wished I switched earlier too. Mine are on the absolute loosest setting but I will give it a quick right click or two soon since I've had my foot come out a few times when putting out a maximum effort.

Glad to hear you are fine with it now B&B. I remember thinking that I wished I switched earlier too. Mine are on the absolute loosest setting but I will give it a quick right click or two soon since I've had my foot come out a few times when putting out a maximum effort.

Yeah, it felt so much better. I have a feeling I'll be able to click in better as I get more experience, but I've got new shoes and it's really cold here. I can live with the current setup until it gets warmer. I might loosen things up a little if it still takes me a while to lock in as we get into Spring

benphyr

Guru-me-not
When I switch between my two pairs of shoes I noticed that with the same mountain bike pedals the difference the (bottom ? of the) shoe changed the clip in and so did cleat placement, though I tried to set them up exactly the same. . Years of wearing both shoes so that is not a factor.