Why left-hand front brakes are better on the Quest ... and ...

billyk

Guru
After a few hard stops that lifted the rear wheel, I began practicing braking more systematically, straightening and tightening my arms as I brake to hold my body as far back as possible. That helps, but there is no doubt that slamming on the Quest's excellent disk brakes would throw me straightaway over the bars. (That would not be a happy day ...) After this practicing, it is clear that the bike would flip long before the front wheel skidded, even on wet pavement.

I also drew lines on the photo below to check where I stood (sat?) in relation to the EU 60-degree standard: the COG should be behind a 60-degree line from the front tire patch. Well, it appears to be, but not by too much.

I could move the seat to get the COG a little further back; tried that but then my knees hit the handlebars. Since the seatback-to-pedal distance is fixed by my leg-length, there aren't many options except a different set of bars or a longer handlebar stem.

And yes, I could lose a little gut, too, moving the COG back even more ... thanks for not mentioning it.

On the other hand, moving the COG exacerbates the problem of front wheel unweighting on uphills, so there's a tradeoff here.

But you were wondering when I'd get to the left-hand front-brake argument. Americans have the front brake on the left, Brits and Australians on the right. According to Sheldon Brown, this pattern developed because it was - incorrectly - thought that the rear brake was most important, and the free-to-signal hand should be on the road side. This reasoning is written into law in Australia. (Personally, although I always signal my turns, when making a hard stop I've got both hands on the handlebars and am definitely not signaling.) Some argue on the contrary that the truly-more-important front brake should be controlled by the dominant hand.

My experience is that in a non-panic stop I am both braking and down-shifting. That means I want one hand working the shifter and the other the front brake. Since the Quest twist-shifter is inalterably on the right, the front brake should be on the left!

Billy K

quest_angles1_001breduced.jpg width: 576px; height: 432px;

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Billy,
It shouldn't be

Hi Billy,

It shouldn't be that hard for you to just switch the brakes if that's what you want to do.

John likes them the way they are because if you ride a motorcycle, the clutch is the left hand, the front brake is the right and, and the left foot is the rear brake.

Americans like it the other way, well...., I don't actually know why except that's how almost all the bikes are setup that way.

Whatever you decide to do, I recommend you decide to do it for all bikes. :) I have my Mantis setup the same way my Sofrider (as John set it up).

Cheers,
Charles

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes. 
Motorbikes have front

Yes.

Motorbikes have front brake, right hand, rear brake right foot.

Left hand, clutch, left foot, gear lever.

So its braking on the right and gear changes on the left ...

This is standard in all markets.