Working my way back (third time is the charm)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well then it's a been a long journey. Seems like I can't do anything the easy way.

Moving across the US, COVID, Business issues and a 2 year struggle with heart issues, and this little thing where we turned my Dad into a Cyborg (more on that later) have had me a so distracted. But armed with a high quality AeroBelly I've been cleared to start riding again. Gonna spend the next two months tuning up the outdoor bikes and getting back on the trainer. Nothing over the top for now; gonna make a point of checkin in here on Monday's and Friday and on the weekend. Since I live down the road from the texas time trials I might sign up for that as a motivator.

I'm sorry for having to vanish my many friends; but I can't wait to catch with all the great things everyone has probably been up to.

-ratz

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Well then it's a been a long journey. Seems like I can't do anything the easy way.

Moving across the US, COVID, Business issues and a 2 year struggle with heart issues, and this little thing where we turned my Dad into a Cyborg (more on that later) have had me a so distracted. But armed with a high quality AeroBelly I've been cleared to start riding again. Gonna spend the next two months tuning up the outdoor bikes and getting back on the trainer. Nothing over the top for now; gonna make a point of checkin in here on Monday's and Friday and on the weekend. Since I live down the road from the texas time trials I might sign up for that as a motivator.

I'm sorry for having to vanish my many friends; but I can't wait to catch with all the great things everyone has probably been up to.

-ratz
Great to have you back!

Tuloose

Guru
It's great to have you back. I was wondering what happened to you. You are a veritable store house of knowledge on everything Cruzbike related.

Now if we could just hear from Elliot...

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Welcome back in present tense. (Thankfully, your past presence never left us here on the forum!) Good to see you back.

ratz

I’d bet a lot of money that PM says “Please ride for team Cruzbike for ZRL.”

I too hope to see you on Zwift when you are ready. That aerobelly powerup still hasn’t made it into Zwift’s lexicon.
Not taking that bet

ratz

Ok, I made it back to get current what you all, next up .... 30 posts to a habit???

Tomorrow I find some time to post the diary of last fall that explains why it took and extra year to make it back here.

ratz

Meanwhile for those that know me virtually or in the real world, If you have found that you like me and my quirky handling of life please know that I owe that to my mother and father. Their entire wealth in this world is in positive Karmic debt that the universe owed them for years of putting others need before their own. I think we spent every last bit of that Karma.

In short My Father's health plummeted around Thanksgiving week of 2021 and he should have died full stop of a widow maker on December 9th. But that's not how the story ended.

I could put this at the end but I understand not everyone has the stomach to read ten pages about strangers. So I am happy to report that as of this month January 2023 my Father is nearly back to what he was before the event; but he is now a cyborg (no joke he's heart is cybernetic).

The diary I kept for the family at large for the first 2 months is below. If you are over 45 or have aged parents there are things below to learn; either about your health testing; or about health advocacy. I think it is worth the reading time for many people so we freely share it as it was written in it's unedited form. There are times on the journey I was very much in states of hate and frustration with the care-givers and the process, in the end we are grateful and indebted to everyone the gave care, and took on those unenviable tasks even when we didn't agree with their view points. What I went through the 8 month prior to this with my health is completely uninteresting by comparison; and a story for another day.

December 9th - Bullhead City
Nuclear Tests, Echo and Flight for life, helicopter, plane, ambulance

December 9th - Pheonix Heart Hospital
Pete's condition is declared non-operable for transitional solutions heart too damaged. Hold the line Medicine Administered. Much waiting no info provided there is some debate going on. Interventionist Disagrees with Thoracic surgeon.

December 10-11th
The Interventionist gets his partner to agree that they take the case.

December 12th
The third consenting doctor found the procedure scheduled. They will attempt extreme care to get the stents implanted.

Treatment begins
December 13-14th Raise Pete's strength via a newly released "ABR" med that is performing miracles in this space

At 4:30 pm MST, December 14th, they took him up for the procedure to install the Stents. Since he has only one viable Artery, they used an into-aortic pump to allow the heart muscle to ease up. The Stenting process went as expected, and they did their "looking around" with the scope to make sure they had everything optimal for the Stents plus Drug treatment plan. They ran into a problem when they deflated the ballon in the Pump. Pete's heart has been under a lot of strain pumping blood through the increasing clots in the heart. Currently, his heart doesn't want to pick up the workload independently. At 6:15 pm MST, they stopped trying to remove the Pump; they stabilized him, moved him to the ICU, and woke him up. He's uncomfortable because they had him on a ventilator, but he's off that now with no side effect other than a sore throat. The Pump is running at level 9, its max; the objective is to let him rest overnight and gain strength. Dr. Loli plans to return before 5 am to review vitals determine whether Pete will be ready for the next step tomorrow. They do not believe that the Stent + Meds will give him enough stability. They will be looking to use an LVAD device (see below) to assist his heart and give him 1-10 more years. Devices come in various sizes. If the smaller devices are viable, they can be done at this Cardiac Hospital; if it's the bigger one, they will need to go down the street a very short distance to Banner at ASU.

Pete's choice tonight is to keep on fighting stated before and after the procedure. Tonight he is accepting the pump concept, but it wasn't presented to him before the process, so he has no concept of it and will need to be brought up to speed in the morning. I will be discussing each step to make sure he understands his options. He's not been on pain meds other than during procedures, and he is the sound of mind, obviously scared of the unknown. Right now, he's charged with building up his mind to fight and get his body to pick up some of the workloads. Before tonight's procedure, he looked ten times better than when he arrived, and when we left him to sleep, he was a six quickly heading to seven; fully expect him to appear a 10 by 11 in the morning with the help of the Pump.

MaryBeth will be staying at the hotel tomorrow and participating by cellphone. I will be at the hospital with him during the day and evening to prepare him for the next steps and ensure he's got the best odds possible. COVID restrictions allow one person per day to be in the building (We've been breaking the rules up to this point by playing chicken with the hospital using my power of attorney; we'll now play by the rules). We are planning to be here for quite a few more days, but that will take its true shape tomorrow when we understand the pacing of the subsequent actions.

December 15th

Progress not as expected. Pete is very weak. The RN assigned to the room is a pessimist and declares a personal opinion that Pete's not going to make it. He seems too eager for the patient to have a release from suffering. Decided to communicate Pete's advanced health directive to the RN. They are to take him all the way to a life-sustaining device if necessary and that we having the family courage to full his wishes if that's the end of the journey if it comes to that. But that's our call. While that was aggressive, it also felt correct at the moment. Pete is uncomfortable and scared but not suffering by his standards. Giving up at this point would be cruel, not humane. Suspect this is a cultural difference. The RN is a foreign immigrant who made the change in adulthood he's caregiving has been sound, but he has a different worldview.

Most of the morning was observational and waiting. Progress did not track with the Doctors' projections. The RN is fiddling with the meds constantly from 8-10:30 am. He relays that he needs to force Pete to have the ability to be taken off the machine. 10:30 am ICU attending physician made rounds with the ICU team. The attending physician stops the RN's explanation of status to the team and states Pete is doing good, calls out several data point to his team, and then restates that Pete is expected to make extremely slow process. They leave.

The waiting continues between 10:30 am - 4:00 pm; the RN is still playing with the meds trying to get Pete off the machine. About 12:30 pm, Questioned is directed to the RN to ask him if that's what he's supposed to do; the answer in the affirmative seems weak at this point. Pete is not losing more ground. He's also just not gaining any either. Continue to observe and look for anything hazardous to occur. Vigilant, but don't overreact is the order of the day stress is high, and Pete's getting frustrated and nervous.

4:15 pm The Surgery team comes by; the primary doctor is unavailable, but the Co-Sponsor of the treatment is present and was at the Surgery, just not the lead. They restate to Pete and the student doctor in residence on the team that Pete's doing good, but they are concerned that he should be making very slow progress, but more than they are seeing. Decided to speak to the young Resident as they left. He liked Mary Beth, had a caring demeanor, and was present with the senior Doctors at ALL discussions (he's the one constant) allowing a fast comparison of mental notes. Related observations and concerns that ping-ponging of the blood pressure control medicine is the problem and that pace of weaning off the Pump being administered do not correlate with the doctors' words.

Resident says thank you and quickly jogs to catch his teammates; they stop, caucus, and head back to the ICU nurse station. Words happen. RN returns and is NOT visibly upset, but the Medicine tweaking stops in the following hours. It did not seem warranted to demand the RN be removed; he was just too eager and from a different culture. RN gave Pete outstanding care in all other areas before the intervention and finished out just fine as a caretaker. He does Like the word "life-sustaining" a little too much, but maybe that's the ICU culture, to be brutally honest.

7:00 pm Shift Change; Pete looks 1000 times better as the night shift RN takes over. This RN was fantastic the night before. Ask for a word and provide a recounting of the days' events. Message delivered that for the sake of the families' ownership of our health, we ask that the doctors' orders be followed precisely. He agrees with our understanding of the process and what should be happening. He assures us it will be that way because this is an extreme case with the team attempting to apply proven techniques to the previous no-go situation.

2:00 am The overnight nurse successfully gets Pete off the blood pressure medicine that prevents them from removing the Pump. Pete maintains proper blood pressure overnight.

December 16th

8:00 am - 3:00 pm Strength building and resting its MaryBeth turn to be emotional support and observer for the day. She reports Pete is in good spirits and looking stronger. Much food is consumed for the first time in days. Pete is now constantly complaining about the automated anti-bed sore mattress. The return of complaining is a good sign.

3:30 pm Doctors review his progress and are very happy.

4:30 pm The intra-aortic-pump has been removed as a bedside procedure in the room, and Pete is resting.

5:00 pm MaryBeth takes a picture of the EKG and the data is prettier and more stable than when Pete was getting the assistance of the intra-aortic ballon pump.

ratz

December 17th - Christmas arrives early.

4:00 am - Pete's over night nurse gets him out of the bed and upright in a chair

11:00 am - On rounds they confirm the will be moving him down to a Telemetry Room this is 2 tiers down from the ICU at this hospital

11:30 am - All IV's are removed and portal heart monitor is setup

1:00 PM - Transfer happens; there may have been fist pumps

4:00 pm - after being in a chair for 12 hours Pete is tired and return to the bed;

4:45 pm - Doctors arrive to look at him. Most up beat they've been to date
Medicine is reviewed and updated all pill form now. Not increasing or decreasing the "wonder drug" adding in traditional Beta Blockers not leveraged so far.
Plan: Tentative discharge from this hospital Sunday or Monday
Destination: TBD base physical therapy next 2-3 days to determine strength and response to strain. It will be either to the house; or to a therapy bed close to home.
The LVAD is off the table for now, a pace maker is now the backup plan.

5:00 pm - Monitoring and rest is the order for the rest of the evening.

December 18th

Took a little step backwards - Cardiologist is using new meds, Hospitalist Dr not completely up on the use of that med. Blood pressure was low they mistakenly took him off the med instead of prescribing a boosting drug. Cardiologist found out at end of day and made the corrections. Missed opportunity for Physical Therapy today and lost ground on over all health. Back at it tomorrow.

December 19th

09:00 am Meet with the resident from Bryne/Loli team. We talked through the medicine confusion and he agreed to address.

Details: Pete needs the Entresto for it’s remodeling impact it helps treat the damage he suffered. A secondary effect is that it is also an ARB similar to Benicar, so to use this in his current condition he needs his blood pressure up through drugs or exercise. That's all sorted now. Drug is primary use: https://www.entrestohcp.com/hfref/cardiac-remodeling is getting confused with the secondary. Took few days to extract the instruction don't take a dose unless blood pressure >= 105 but we are getting there.

11:00 am Pete's Cardio team showed up very please with the progress once again. Estimating he will be leaving Tuesday or Wednesday based on Physical Therapy assessment on Monday.

04:00 pm He's now done 3 walks and is watching the Packers.

06:40 pm Finished Dinner and going for last walk.

December 20th

08:00 am Set back over night - Fluid on the lungs. Treated with Meds; yet another cocktail of small pills.
10:00 am Got in one good walk
02:30 pm Consult with Team and decision made to relocate to Austin Immediately for improved health care and family assistance. Team would like him to get him on the road Tuesday. He's going to be wearing a defibrillator vest, will need advance case management in Austin, is back to being an LVAD candidate. New was now that the Doctor has seen his normal non-"crashed" condition he pause and stated that he personally would consider him as candidate for a heart transplant if heart doesn't stabilize; obviously off the cuff observations; but previously it was off the table as unsurvivable and not overall healthy enough.

03:30 pm Defibrillator vest ordered.
04:00 pm lots of planning and list making begin

Author's note Add much later: Everyone on the staff was convinced (excluding the lead surgeon) that they were sending him home so he could pass away surrounded by family. Many said so to me in person like I was a fool for not seeing that. Well duh! but we had other plans just needed to get him to like minded experts.
December 21st

08:00 am - Pete's looking good again this morning.
09:00 am - Fancy drug makes the blood pressure drop in a shocking way, but expected now that we know
11:00 am - Blood pressure is 75% recovered
11:15 am - Lead Doctor in for short visit and again wanting to get him discharged and on to the next steps
11:30 am - No Defibrillator office in Phily lost the request. Resubmitted
01:00 pm - Blood pressure is back up to 109/85
01:30 pm - Medicare rejects Defibrillator as not medically necessary, doctors won't release without it. More paperwork resubmitted to make the case
02:30 pm - Medicare versus Doctor debate ongoing
03:30 pm - Drug pick up at Walmart. Oddly very small number of items...(foreshadowing)
04:30 pm - Defibrillator training schedule for 5:30pm
04:45 pm - Drug all sent to the wrong Walmart back in Bullhead city, scramble begins to fix (hello left hand; this is right hand)
05:30 pm - Defibrillator Training
06:00 pm - Drug store quick sprint before they close
07:30 pm - Discharge and a slow evening drive to the half way point El Paso

December 22nd

We completed the journey to Austin. The Elevation of the west Texas mountains made the trip challenging for Pete, very hard to breath at the higher altitudes. In the end Pete did well, but it wore everyone down from the 8 hours of driving

December 23rd

Today was a day of figuring out which way was up and how to administer many dangerous meds without making any mistakes. We made arrangements to set up the first-floor Grandparents' suite section of the house. By Tuesday, what was an office, will be a private bedroom and bath setup. Pete's using a combination of the wheel-chair we have at the house and a walker to get around.

December 24th

Held a Christmas Eve dinner and gift exchange with a small group of friends that have met Pete and MaryBeth before. That went well and Pete was able to participate from his chair and had a good day with the focus of the hustle and bustle, not all about him.

December 25th

Today was Pete's first day using only a walker to move around (no wheel-chair day). Pete and MaryBeth worked on their list of things that need to be handled back in Bullhead City. We took a drive up to look at the progress on the new house and then drove down to introduce the location and awareness of the doctors' plaza and the hospital/ER that is about 5-8 minutes from our house.

We got some good news today. The cardiologist we want to take over Pete's care reached out through his nurse during his vacation. He would like all records transferred this week so he can review them. We have an appointment for the 22nd as a stake in the ground. We are also on the "cancellation fill in" list. However, the message we got appears to indicate he'll get an earlier spot at the Doctor's directive; we will find out for sure on Monday.

December 26th

Solid day for Pete, eating has gotten easier and more productive. One of the medications he is on is significant, but it's also very taxing to take at the prescribed two times a day. It produces good vitals but leaves him in a breathless state for an hour or two after taking. We are getting the timing of that worked out based on his vitals to minimize the struggle, but it still requires correct timing and a desire to fight through it mentally and physically. The before and after is best described as a micro-version of taking someone in for Chemotherapy. Good going in and wrecked coming out, but fighting through.

December 27th

Plan is to communicate with he doctors office during the day. Devin arrives midday for Christmas break and we'll be doing the full family Christmas tomorrow evening; so the day will be about rest and Family.

December 28th

MaryBeth Filled out lots of Doctor paperwork; for new patients and records transfer, etc. We have a universal rental application odd that every Dr office is reinventing the medical forms. Devin Arrived, and we did the traditional way too much food and a super long slow gift exchange session. Pete Managed the entire session from start to finish.

December 29th

We dropped off the records at the Doctors office.
The Front Office has been converted into a bedroom and got Pete and MB situated with their own space and bathroom.

December 30th

Dr. Office reached out, and the appointment with the Cardiologist is now on January 7th.